Sponsored by:

Shopping for an E63 and need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Exclamation Shopping for an E63 and need advice

So I've decided that I want to upgrade to an E63 AMG and have began shopping for my future car. I would love some input from fellow members who already own the car and know what to look for and expect when it comes to options. Also, if there are any specific (common problems or issues) that I should be aware of when test driving a potential buy.

What would be considered as essential options and which are rarely utilized? I'm also having trouble understanding what exactly would be included in a "fully loaded" 2011 or 2012 MY E63. Another thing I have seen occasionally and would really like to have on my future car are DUAL active multi contour seats. I usually only see this feature for the drivers seat which seems a bit odd.

Also, what are the various technology packages and which ones are actually usefull? I know there can be a ton of features on cars of this caliber and that many of them simply never get used due to being an inconvenience or are just forgotten about on a daily basis.

Thanks for any advice and I hope to join the E63 club soon.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Some of your questions may be answered

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-m-scared.html

2011 -- search "headbolt issue"
Old 04-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
Hi,

I just joined the AMG forum 2 months ago and can tell you from my experience when I was shopping for my AMG.

1: The 2011 AMG has the NA 6.3 V8 vs the 2012 and onwards has the V8 Bi turbo. When I was researching for the NA V8s, others ( not me ) mentioned there was head bolt issues that was a concern of mine thus I bought a 2012 AMG. Also it is from my understanding there are more tuning options for the V8 bi turbos vs the V8 NA engines.

2: On the options side. My first options was that it must have the P30 performance package which ups the horse power and torque, better braking system and ups the top speed to 186 MPH.

3: The drivers and lane assist was also an options that was a must have for me.

4: Another obvious requirement for me is that it has to be CPO and needs to have at lease 3 years warranty left due to high maintenance costs.

If you research on this forum. There are plenty of comparisons from the 2010/2011 vs. 2012/2013 or even 2014 and onward depending on your budget.

Hope this helps and good luck on your search and look forward to you joining the club.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 AMG E63
Its great to look at what it comes with new, but what the car has in the used market is what you are looking for. When I was looking for a 2010 or 2011 a few months back, there were not many 2011's and a fair amount of 2010's. I wanted pretty much all the options and what I found was that they either had the distronic plus package with adaptive cruise and blind spot/lane change or parking guidance. Both of which IMHO are mandatory. Not many had the pano roof either. IMHO the pano roof is not necessary. The night vision depending on where you live might be necessary but for me it just impresses people when I show them once. Most seem to have the P2 package which is absolutely necessary as that has the multicontour seat as well as some other nice features.

Originally Posted by sharkey_lsu
So I've decided that I want to upgrade to an E63 AMG and have began shopping for my future car. I would love some input from fellow members who already own the car and know what to look for and expect when it comes to options. Also, if there are any specific (common problems or issues) that I should be aware of when test driving a potential buy.

What would be considered as essential options and which are rarely utilized? I'm also having trouble understanding what exactly would be included in a "fully loaded" 2011 or 2012 MY E63. Another thing I have seen occasionally and would really like to have on my future car are DUAL active multi contour seats. I usually only see this feature for the drivers seat which seems a bit odd.

Also, what are the various technology packages and which ones are actually usefull? I know there can be a ton of features on cars of this caliber and that many of them simply never get used due to being an inconvenience or are just forgotten about on a daily basis.

Thanks for any advice and I hope to join the E63 club soon.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Your not going to find dual multicontour seats unless your in Europe, Drivers seat only. I think you'd be better off with a 2012 plus for reasons stated above, look for a original sticker price of around 107K, to me the ones with stickers of 120k or above are unnecessary and generally have the ceramic brakes which you really don't need, not much of difference. I'd think for a good used 2012 with 35K miles or so you'd be looking at 58 to 62 grand depending on the condition. As said make sure it's got warrantee on it, you can always purchase a extended through MB for around 5 grand assuming it's got warrantee to begin with.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts
2023 e450 cabriolet, 2015 s550, 2024 c300 , 2006 E55, 2005 e320, 2007 gl450,
The other members have already listed options etc, I would try and get the 2012 just for the fact that it has a sweet 5.5 twin turbo v8, I have read multiple people say on here that they wish they had gone for that engine over the 6.2 even though it is a fabulous engine, maybe just because the twin turbo had much more modding capabilities
Old 04-27-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2020 GLS450, W108 280SEL, 2009 CLK550, Sold: 2012 E63 PP, 2017 Silverado, 2016 Cayenne GTS, 2005 911
I agree with all that's already been said and would like to say once you find a car you are interested in simply call MBUSA with the VIN, they are very helpful and emailed me the original sticker and complete list of options. Oddly and lucky enough for me, the 2012 I bought did not have the P30 listed (perf package) but it was on the list i received from MBUSA. I bought my car from a BMW dealer and i can't believe they did not know their competition. My car came fully loaded and i can say that the NightVision camera is only good for entertaining my kids in the backseat and that's it (totally useless). Distronic plus is nice if you do long road trips. Also, i didn't realize this either when i bought my car but apparently I have "upgraded leather" (this too according to MBUSA) and when comparing to a friends E63 Wagon, i could tell my leather was much better quality.... this was more of a bonus and not on my 'must have' list. I am biased but feel that the panoramic roof is not good, the car gets too hot and the nylon 'sheild' does nothing to block the heat; also I assume it adds weight to the car but probably immaterial. At the end of the day, make a list of "must haves", "nice to haves" and "don't care". You will find that you may make compromises when you find the right car but you will feel better about your purchase in the long run.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s5
Does anyone have a link to the full list of options for 2012-13? So far i got
P30 performance pack
adaptive cruise & lane assist
distronic plus
pano roof
Premium 2 Package
NightVision camera