Inside Door Handle Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Inside Door Handle Not Working

Just noticed in the last couple of days that my inside door handle for the passenger side rear door does nothing when pulled. Discovered it when my 5-year old daughter could not get out. It is not due to the child lockout control. The other side rear door inside handle works fine.

When you pull the handle it is like it is not connected to anything. The only way to open that door is the outside handle.

Anybody heard of this? Seems very strange. And it is a serious safety issue. Imagine in an emergency of some kind that my little girl cant open the door.

I had consistent issues with window regulators in my old w210 E55. But never handles or locks. Hmmmmmmm.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Probably mechanical. It's probably time to pull that door's inner panel off to check it out.

By the way, did you check that mechanical switch on the rear side of the rear doors and push it up and down a few times?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
V. It sounds like the child lock out control has gone bad. The reason I say this is because if the lock mechanism inside the door panel somehow became unhooked, you would no be able to open the door from the outside. Give the lockout control a few tugs and see if that'll fix the problem. If not, just visit your dealer, I'm sure they can fix this problem with or without warrant. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by otakki
Probably mechanical. It's probably time to pull that door's inner panel off to check it out.

By the way, did you check that mechanical switch on the rear side of the rear doors and push it up and down a few times?
Good Call Man!!

I did not even know that that switch was there. It must have gotten bumped at the car wash or something. Flipped the switch and it works now!

Still though, it seems like a potential safety issue that could trap rear occupants in case of an emergency. Not sure why they would have that there. I would understand a parental lockout in the driver door to keep young kids from opening the door. But where that switch is makes it impossible to open the rear door from the inside if it is flipped.

Thanks for the fix!
Old 09-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
In the 2014+ e63:

When the doors are locked (and the child safety switch is not engaged) the handle does not toggle the locks open when you pull them

In the front doors the handles will toggle both locks open

I find this annoying

Glad you got yours figured out!