Questions Guys with Lowering Links

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Questions Guys with Lowering Links

I can't seem to figure out how to get the car to ride well. I have H&R springs in front and links in back.
To get it to ride nicely, I have to put it in Comfort mode but it sits right back to stock height. When I have it lowered, it looks awesome but it is severely underdamped and extremely bouncy.
So basically, I am driving around in Comfort with this nasty rake and only looks good when parked.
Do you guys set the links to the lowered height in Comfort or one of the Sport modes?

Last edited by medici78; 08-16-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 111 Posts
E63s AMG
Originally Posted by medici78
I can't seem to figure out how to get the car to ride well. I have H&R springs in front and links in back.
To get it to ride nicely, I have to put it in Comfort mode but it sits right back to stock height. When I have it lowered, it looks awesome but it is severely underdamped and extremely bouncy.
So basically, I am driving around in Comfort with this nasty rake and only looks good when parked.
Do you guys set the links to the lowered height in Comfort or one of the Sport modes?
I would recommend setting sport mode at the lowest height you like. Then when you put in comfort mode the height will go up 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Ed99
I would recommend setting sport mode at the lowest height you like. Then when you put in comfort mode the height will go up 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.
Based on my experience, I would recommend the same; sounds like you may like how I had my car setup, however, which was in the opposite manner (car was lowered to height I liked in Comfort). Car looked good while driving in C, but didn't handle the way I wanted, due to C settings of course (was soft for my taste). When driving in S/S+or parked car was too low and didn't ride well.

As you know, the lower you go, the stiffer the ride...may have to play with the links to get the proper balance for your taste. I ended up getting a DLM to allow me to pick suspension firmness via OEM buttons and override the ride height via the DLM, on the fly. Not saying it's necessary at all, but that is one of the benefits of a DLM, apparently.

Enjoy it. I'm sure it looks great

Last edited by Ralcbah; 08-17-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' E63 S
So did you guys remove your rear lowering links and use Renntech DLM as an alternative?
Old 08-17-2016, 09:27 AM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by jeshie7
So did you guys remove your rear lowering links and use Renntech DLM as an alternative?
Yes, I did.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Has anyone ditched the stupid airmatic in rear for 2014+ E63s and gone with a true coilover setup all around?

the Links can't be good for airmatic in the long run.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
MB
Guys, what about just going into the SDS diagnostic to lower the rear? Wouldn't that be more appropriate than "tricking" the car with adjustable links?

Im thinking long term as well. The effects have to be marginal.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:23 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by 6speeddave
Guys, what about just going into the SDS diagnostic to lower the rear? Wouldn't that be more appropriate than "tricking" the car with adjustable links?

Im thinking long term as well. The effects have to be marginal.

I have zero firsthand knowledge with this method, but the little research I did showed there was a limit to how low you could go with STAR. What that limit is/was, I don't know. Some folks seemed to be happy with it, and others ended up going with links as well.

Hopefully someone can chime in with real experience around that method...
Old 08-17-2016, 01:31 PM

MB
Originally Posted by Ralcbah
I have zero firsthand knowledge with this method, but the little research I did showed there was a limit to how low you could go with STAR. What that limit is/was, I don't know. Some folks seemed to be happy with it, and others ended up going with links as well.

Hopefully someone can chime in with real experience around that method...
I lowered my E55 with star. The thing got really low and I actually didn't intend to go as low as I did. Cant say the same for the W212 chassis though. For me, I just want it to drop about an inch in the rear, maybe inch and a half. So for those looking for the ultimate drop, I would say the diagnostic + links would do just that.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:34 PM

2018 E63S
Maybe someone will post with experience on the w212, or someone with a scanner can mess around with it.

Regarding links and STAR, definitely an option to lower with links and then do the fine tuning with STAR...so I'm told.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17' 991.2 S, 15' Sierra Denali 1500, 14' W212 AMG S
Originally Posted by raudiace4
Has anyone ditched the stupid airmatic in rear for 2014+ E63s and gone with a true coilover setup all around?

the Links can't be good for airmatic in the long run.
There was a member on here who did that where he took out all air matic related components, put on non amg E-class rear control arms, and put on coilovers. TBH I'd rather do that since KW V3's will sit the car lower than stock and will still be better damped/more comfortable than stock. The only problem is finding a person who can do the work that wont charge you a fortune on top of a hefty coilover purchase.

Stephen
Old 08-17-2016, 02:40 PM

MB
Maybe someone will post with experience on the w212, or someone with a scanner can mess around with it.

Regarding links and STAR, definitely an option to lower with links and then do the fine tuning with STAR...so I'm told.
I have a friend over in Tampa that has a full SDS, Im going to try and go over there to do this in the next month or so. I just ordered my H&R Springs today for the front. Will keep you all in the loop with this.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:44 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by 6speeddave
I have a friend over in Tampa that has a full SDS, Im going to try and go over there to do this in the next month or so. I just ordered my H&R Springs today for the front. Will keep you all in the loop with this.
Cool deal. Enjoy
Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
Based on my experience, I would recommend the same; sounds like you may like how I had my car setup, however, which was in the opposite manner (car was lowered to height I liked in Comfort). Car looked good while driving in C, but didn't handle the way I wanted, due to C settings of course (was soft for my taste). When driving in S/S+or parked car was too low and didn't ride well.

As you know, the lower you go, the stiffer the ride...may have to play with the links to get the proper balance for your taste. I ended up getting a DLM to allow me to pick suspension firmness via OEM buttons and override the ride height via the DLM, on the fly. Not saying it's necessary at all, but that is one of the benefits of a DLM, apparently.

Enjoy it. I'm sure it looks great

But, I thought certain level of lowering or raise will have to do alignment ??

Mine is lowered with links but thinking getting DLM as well.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I'd love to do a coilover conversion or even a custom airbag setup. Is there a difference between sedan and wagon suspensions? Can the stock air suspension and damping sensors/switches be programmed out to avoid throwing codes?