Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63S Winter tires - another option?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Check the Replika's official site. You can narrow down to those wheels that have additional coating to protect against winter elements by selecting one of the tabs. BTW, they also come with free blank center caps.
https://www.replika.ca/default.aspx?lang=en-US

Originally Posted by tfsiii
ymmv... regards, Tom
Thanks for sharing your experience with the DWS. I have read some comments about the good winter performance with DWS only exists when there are lots of meat on the tire or when the "S" can still be seen. After that, it's not so good for the winter. Is that true?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63s, 2012 E63-all done , Saab 9-5 Aero (2) Honda CBR 929-sold
The DWS are designed to wear SNOW first, then WET, then DRY. This is according to their doc, and my experience with the one set on my 2012 was good tread wear throughout a light Winter, which exposed the sometimes scary characteristics I describe above. Regards, Tom
Old 09-17-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
e63s
i will use blizzak lm-32's... awesome snow tire.. 255/35/19 on some cheap 5 spoke tire rack wheels for 150 each...
Old 09-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by tfsiii
I used CONTIS on my SAABS before trying them on E63, and never had issues, Before the DWS came out, they had the Extreme Contact, which performed almost as well as a dedicated snow. I also talked directly to Continental, and they assured me those DWS in the OEM size would perform well. I purchased them for my 2012 E63, and as expected , they did a satisfactory job in any winter conditions. There was a problem however, on dry roads. These tires in the OEM sizes have softer sidewalls, and this can be problematic in cornering and any direction changes that are not slow and gradual. Even strong cross winds had an effect. Traction was not an issue, and you can get a false sense of confidence. A sticky tread and a flexing sidewall is a problem combination, somewhat analogous to a tankslapper on a motorcycle. And they label these tires as Ultra High Performance . Maybe this condition is no longer with the AWD E63s, but this was my experience with the RWD. ymmv... regards, Tom
granted mine are brand new but I don't have these dry road issues
Old 09-22-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63S AMG Sedan
Thanks everyone; here's what I decided.......

My thanks to everyone for your helpful replies to my original post at the beginning of this thread. Here is what I have ordered:

1. Replika 157 wheels, 19x8.5 with 32 ET all around, Matte Black w/Machined Lip, genuine TPMS sensors and matching matte black OEM center caps
2. Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires, 255/35R19 all around

Some of you suggested the R157 wheel and I liked it. Turns out Replika carries two versions - glossy back (the version some of you have) and matte black with machined lip (which I had not seen previously). I like the matte black - personal preference, obviously. Also, for what it's worth, I think it will look close to one version of OEM wheels for this car.

Mark Lacey of Tunerworks helped me with the decisions. Very knowledgeable, experienced, helpful guy. He went through with me in detail how the wheels would fit - no issues at all. (e.g. no centering rings required.) He also had positive comments regarding the quality of Replika wheels. I had (and still have) some concerns re how well the clear coat on the machined lip will survive the salt used on Calgary roads in winter, but Mark's opinion is these wheels will be fine. Regardless, I'm going to put some extra effort into taking care of them.

Here is a photo of the wheels. I've scheduled to have them installed October 17. If people are interested, I'll post a pic then of the wheels on the car.
Attached Thumbnails E63S Winter tires - another option?-r157-matte-black-matte-lip-b.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
V8Avant (09-26-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Originally Posted by sleepy1950
Here is a photo of the wheels. I've scheduled to have them installed October 17. If people are interested, I'll post a pic then of the wheels on the car.

That seems like a really solid option. I have to admit that I have been reading through all the e63s wheel posts and I am totally lost on what is the best setup for the winter. Might I ask where you ordered the wheels from and I am assuming you went with tire rack for tires?
Old 09-22-2016, 06:24 PM

2014 E63S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Northernivy
That seems like a really solid option. I have to admit that I have been reading through all the e63s wheel posts and I am totally lost on what is the best setup for the winter. Might I ask where you ordered the wheels from and I am assuming you went with tire rack for tires?
I've had good experiences with Tire Rack in the past, but they do not carry the Replika wheels I wanted (Canadian-made). I found a couple of websites that carry these wheels and probably could have saved a little money by ordering both the wheels and tires online. However I didn't have the same amount of confidence in the websites as I do Tire Rack. (Also, not easy to deal with any problems with items bought online.) In the end, I wanted the comfort of dealing with a knowledgeable company locally, so went with Tunerworks, a very reputable Calgary company that deals with high end performance cars.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:44 PM

2014 E63, 2009 997.1 Turbo, 1977 Corvette, 2013 Volt
I'm in Colorado and just put a set on Nokian WRG3 tires on a spare set of wheels. These tires were highly recommended and are "all weather" as opposed to "all season". I figure Nov-March with the Nokian and April-October with the summer tires/wheels.

I'll let you know how the Nokians work out. I'll had Bizzaks on my other cars/wheels but they wear too fast on a high HP car.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
My thanks to everyone for your helpful replies to my original post at the beginning of this thread. Here is what I have ordered:

1. Replika 157 wheels, 19x8.5 with 32 ET all around, Matte Black w/Machined Lip, genuine TPMS sensors and matching matte black OEM center caps

Some of you suggested the R157 wheel and I liked it. Turns out Replika carries two versions - glossy back (the version some of you have) and matte black with machined lip (which I had not seen previously). I like the matte black - personal preference, obviously. Also, for what it's worth, I think it will look close to one version of OEM wheels for this car.

Mark Lacey of Tunerworks helped me with the decisions. Very knowledgeable, experienced, helpful guy. He went through with me in detail how the wheels would fit - no issues at all. (e.g. no centering rings required.) He also had positive comments regarding the quality of Replika wheels. I had (and still have) some concerns re how well the clear coat on the machined lip will survive the salt used on Calgary roads in winter, but Mark's opinion is these wheels will be fine. Regardless, I'm going to put some extra effort into taking care of them.

Hi Sleepy,

Any reason you went with a square set up (same size on all wheels) rather than the staggered OEM set up?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:31 PM

2014 E63S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by V8Avant
Hi Sleepy,

Any reason you went with a square set up (same size on all wheels) rather than the staggered OEM set up?

Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by V8Avant
Hi Sleepy,

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I decided to go with dedicated winter wheels, so I could change them myself if I wanted/needed to. Also to keep the OEM wheels pristine. I could have bought winter wheels in the staggered OEM sizes, but decided on the square set-up with narrower wheels to better handle snow than the wider OEM size. Also, more choice of snow tires with the square set-up. I was only able to confirm one snow tire for the staggered set-up - Pirelli Sottozero's - and read mixed reviews of that tire.

I read quite a few posts from members who chose the 8.5" square setup. One member in this thread posted that he went with 8.5" square and Michelin PA's that worked very well.

Having said all that, a fellow Calgary member went with the Pirelli's on OEM wheels and has them changed twice a year. He said that works fine for him.

In the end, personal choice, I guess. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With snow, narrower tires are more preferable because it's more effective to slice through it rather than riding on top of it with wider tires. That's the reason for square set-up with narrow tires.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:32 PM

2014 E63S AMG Sedan

Here are a couple of pics of the wheels above wheels/tires installed. Mark at Tunerworks Calgary was very helpful with not only the wheels/tires choices, offsets etc., but also small details at installation (e.g. slightly longer than stock black bolts and black collars for the TPMS sensors, to match the wheels).
Attached Thumbnails E63S Winter tires - another option?-e63-winters1.jpg   E63S Winter tires - another option?-e63-winters2.jpg  
Old 10-21-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
Wheels look great! That version of the R157 rim was not available when I purchased mine last year. Your ready for the snow! Installing mine next weekend ��
Old 10-22-2016, 12:25 AM

2014 E63S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Tylbran
Wheels look great! That version of the R157 rim was not available when I purchased mine last year. Your ready for the snow! Installing mine next weekend ��
Thanks for your input in this thread. Really helped me make the choice. (Obviously, since the setup I chose is pretty much what you have, other than a slightly different version of the same wheel.) Hope I don't end up regretting the machined rims!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure looks nice. Well, if the machined lip gets chewed up, maybe you can get that lip clear coated or something.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:42 PM

2014 E63S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by otakki
Sure looks nice. Well, if the machined lip gets chewed up, maybe you can get that lip clear coated or something.
Thanks. I'm thinking about clear plastidipping the wheels. Apparently works very well. At the very least, I'll give them a coat of wax.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:47 PM

2015 E63 AMG-S
So everything here points to using the same size tires and wheels for front and back when going to winter/snow tires. Is that true for both my E55 AMG and E63 S-AMG?