Project E | ///AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Threw it on the dyno today for baseline. My only concern was that my car was too low but I was okay.

Drama free, pulled in, strapped down, 1 pull just to see, and that was it.

Mustang dyno'd in at 464awhp/465awtq. I'm happy, especially on this dyno known to break hearts. They even double checked with me that it was stock afterwards because you could just tell by the look on their faces they knew it was a strong car which it is.

Now, if I were smart, I'd get a 1/4 mile pass in there too and see what that number is. But I'm not that smart and really would like to get the tune on. We will see what happens there.

Next update will be third-ish week in Feb. Car goes in second week for a good wash and then having it ceramic coated. Also will be blacking out all the silver from front bumper to rear.

...Which reminds me, I still have to find a 2016 w/ the night package so I can get the VIN for the black window trim. Still scratching my head on that one, MB.

It looks like it pulled 465awhp and 506awtq.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
^Excuse my brain. Just a number haha

I really am pleased. This dyno is known to be the area heartbreak. The guys were impressed so I was impressed.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Good stuff Kiva
Keep the pictures coming.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by abcut973
Good stuff Kiva
Keep the pictures coming.
Will do. Just a few weeks away from some changes. Hopefully my diffuser gets here by then.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Will do. Just a few weeks away from some changes. Hopefully my diffuser gets here by then.
Is it hard to remove the stock diffuser? If you do please let me know ? Thanks
Old 01-25-2017, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by 10speed
Is it hard to remove the stock diffuser? If you do please let me know ? Thanks
I'm under the impression the diffuser will take 2-3 very patient hours. Rear bumper removal and such.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
I'm under the impression the diffuser will take 2-3 very patient hours. Rear bumper removal and such.
Wow! Really 2 to 3 hrs that sucks , F10 M5 it takes 3 mins it's just 3 plastic clips
Old 01-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
Originally Posted by 10speed
Wow! Really 2 to 3 hrs that sucks , F10 M5 it takes 3 mins it's just 3 plastic clips
On a Mercedes everything seems attached by 3 plastic clips, 4 invisible screws, and 5 hidden metal snaps, all of which you can break unless you memorize the steps in a YouTube video before you begin.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
On a Mercedes everything seems attached by 3 plastic clips, 4 invisible screws, and 5 hidden metal snaps, all of which you can break unless you memorize the steps in a YouTube video before you begin.
Which is why I now hand my stuff off to pros so if things go sideways I can point the finger in another direction than my own.

Bit of a dilemma here gents. Chasing after a CF diffuser solution I originally thought maintaining the OEM tips wasn't an option, until I saw the Mode Carbon piece. So I went ahead and bought it and am waiting on production / shipment. Mode has been great to work with so far... Who knew spending money could be so easy?

Now, the dilemma. I have also been working with RW carbon to this point and they have been great to me as well. I've outfitted (and received a million questions) about the front lip and also have the spoiler waiting to go on in a couple weeks and in the mean time picked up a CF roof spoiler from RW as well. However, RW fell short with the diffuser offering and I like to maintain brand consistency. They have the Brabus Style (which I like) but they don't have a solution for the exhaust tips as they are fake. Thus, their offering will just leave two holes.

So, in working with RW, I've halfway gone down the road with them to commit to buying the diffuser and I'll come up with an exhaust tip solution. For those who haven't seen already, to do this the Brabus way you're looking at about $13k.

Now for the obvious issue. I can only run 1 diffuser and am stuck between two companies who have both been good to me.

I'm chasing a "clean" car and to me it sounds like the Mode piece is best for that because it is complete and incorporates stock tips. But, I also keep my word so will pick up the RW piece as well and see if I can make that work.

What this means: You guys will see two diffuser options. One is already known on that Gray E63S plastered all over Mode threads, but I'll also see if we can't come up with another solution. Some people here like the look of the Brabus tips and think it gives the car a little extra pop on the rear end. I happen to agree and while the current tips are clean, they are quite hidden and also fake. This I will change with the RW diffuser and if the result isn't what I like then I'll swap.

In other words -- Standby for either a "FS: Mode Carbon Diffuser" thread or "FS: Custom RWCarbon Diffuser" thread at a steal of a price when we eventually get there.

In the mean time, I have to wait for all the pieces to get to me and also have to come up with what design / style exhaust tips I would like to go with the RW piece. I have great fabricators in my area so I have high hopes that this turns out the way I envision.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E63S Sedan
Seems like your putting in some work to get the perfect diffuser! Wish you luck with the RW diffuser as this would give us all another option.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Thanks!

I had the people who installed the springs do it. That being said, very simple and straight forward. You'll see where to apply double sided tape and then it is just a matter of lining it up.

The spoiler will take a little more love which is why I'll have my detail guys do that when everything gets blacked out. Want to get the OEM one off but clean up the trunk before putting on the other one.

That said, we just had a good bit of snow come through so it seems as though winter is near and the car wont get out much. However, when business is slow for the detail shop they'll come pick my car up, get everything squared away, and send it back.

Do you mind taking pictures of the gap on the front lip? I would love to get one but I am concerned about the gap consistency.
Thank you
Old 01-29-2017, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^What gap? The lip is very symmetrical and looks great
Old 01-29-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
^What gap? The lip is very symmetrical and looks great
between the lip and where it gets glued to.
TIA
Old 02-04-2017, 09:12 PM
AG6

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
13 GL550
How many inches does the carbon lip ad to the front bumper?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Astolfo
between the lip and where it gets glued to.
TIA
Hey, not ignoring you. Car goes in on Monday for a full detail process. My lip is sagging a little bit due to not enough double sided tape (aka my error not RW's). Once I get the car back (with a reapplied lip) I'll take pictures. But it really is seamless and has an OEM look. When the lip is applied freshly and everything is holding up it really is great fitment.

Originally Posted by AG6
How many inches does the carbon lip ad to the front bumper?
Are you asking how many inches does it extend horizontally? As in forward from the car? Because at the nose of the car the lip is even with the bumper and grill so it flows straight down. The only place I would say it extends further from the car are below the headlights and those sections stick out about an inch and a half.

But if you're standing in the center of your car and look straight down the tip of the grill, the nose of the bumper, and the nose of the lip all line up quite nicely.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:56 AM
AG6

13 GL550
Was looking for vertical height from ground to bumper with lip.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
W212
FYI: the rear bumper does not need to come off IOT install a diffuser. Complete waste of time. Also, a good shop can make the trunk sensor function properly with an aftermarket diffuser.

I installed mine in 1.5 hours.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Dropped the car off today for the following:

Remove clear bra
Reapply front lip (more secure on edges)
Apply CF spoiler
Apply CF roof spoiler
Replace 10mm front spacers w/ 5mm (hopefully solves rubbing)
Paint gloss black: front grille, door handles, and all badges/emblems
Wrap gloss black: window trim and truck strip
Ceramic coat

Hopefully they post a lot of pictures which means I'll be able to post a lot of pictures.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c class w204 c220
HAS ANYONE HAD/GOT PROBLEMS WITH THE INJECTOR SEALS MY KEEP GOING FROM THE VIBRATION IM GUESSING THE CLAMPS ARE STUPIDLY RIDICULOUS AND ARE NOT THE BEST HAS ANY OF THE NEWER VERSIONS GOT BETTER INJECTOR CLAMP HOLDERSC220
Old 02-08-2017, 07:43 PM
AG6

13 GL550
Dropped the car off today for the following:

Reapply front lip (more secure on edges)
I have been hearing this lip has issues with fitment. What is your experience
Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by AG6
I have been hearing this lip has issues with fitment. What is your experience
It's great. It just needs a little more than double sided tape to be applied. But when you actually line it up and press everything up nicely it looks great.

I think I am going to have a couple of screws put in. Four in total, two underneath each headlight. The center isn't a problem at all because it fixes into an OEM snap point after you remove a piece of your factory bumper.

It was such a good buy I bought the spoiler, roof spoiler, and diffuser from them. The problem with the diffuser is there is no exhaust tips which is a bridge I'm about to start working on.

However, I also bought a Mode Carbon luftstrom diffuser that incorporates the OEM tips so if I get lazy at least I have an out.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes W212
Put Brabus rear diffuser my friend starting to manufacture those. i already ordered 1 for me
Old 02-09-2017, 09:10 AM
AG6

13 GL550
It's great. It just needs a little more than double sided tape to be applied. But when you actually line it up and press everything up nicely it looks great.

I think I am going to have a couple of screws put in. Four in total, two underneath each headlight. The center isn't a problem at all because it fixes into an OEM snap point after you remove a piece of your factory bumper.

It was such a good buy I bought the spoiler, roof spoiler, and diffuser from them. The problem with the diffuser is there is no exhaust tips which is a bridge I'm about to start working on.

However, I also bought a Mode Carbon luftstrom diffuser that incorporates the OEM tips so if I get lazy at least I have an out.
Good info, I think I'm going to get it.

Regarding height, how much vertical height does it add to the bumper? I have quite a steep drive way and as the car sits stock, its quite close to scrapping if I'm not at the right angle.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by AG6
Regarding height, how much vertical height does it add to the bumper? I have quite a steep drive way and as the car sits stock, its quite close to scrapping if I'm not at the right angle.
I don't have the car with me at the moment to measure, hopefully I get it back next week ish. That said, I am also lowered. The lip does reduce ground clearance a couple inches though. Being lowered, I probably wouldn't even try to go up your driveway as I have 2 inches or so of ground clearance at this point. Flat driveway and decent roads though so I can get away with it usually.

I do get over speed bumps without a problem, I just go slow. A steep driveway would probably be a different story.

When I get the car back I'll post again and let you know (the best I can) what type of ground clearance you're going to lose.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Car is still at the detailing shop, but I do have a bit of an update as a lot of people have asked about the RW Carbon lip in this thread and others.

As I mentioned, it was sagging a little when applied with only double sided tape but when pressed up it looked good. This was because the area wasn't prepped properly when taped up for round one. This time around the area was prepped right and we used a couple of fastening screws.

Now that it was really done the right way here are the result, or at least what I have at my disposal to share. First at foremost, I still standby this being a great product at a good price and was the best fitting aftermarket CF piece I've purchased for a car yet. However, it is not 100%. Very close. And the reason I took it to where I have is exactly for this reason in that they strive for perfection and here is what we have for you:

This is an up close of the lip applied with tape/screws:
Project E | ///AMG-vqghfuhl.jpg

As you can see towards the top there is indeed a small gap. Now, the bumper is off and everything is right in your face. I didn't really notice this before because I would be standing and at a distance.

But the shop being as **** as they are about their work (which I love) did this:
Project E | ///AMG-4xd7tu3l.jpg

Just applied some silicon. It is not permanent and should I decide to remove the lip that will come off with ease. I will continue to post over time with how things hold up but we need time to happen in order for that to happen.

Still to come:

Full results of detail to include the CF roof spoiler and CF trunk spoiler.

Also -- for those curious -- the work is being done at Perfection Auto Detailing in Rochester NY. The owner loves AMGs and had a 10 sec e55 of his own. Furthermore, they service customers as far South as Florida as well as Canada. Mind you those customers are sending them things like Aventadors and a very particular people with the ability to ship cars across the country and not think to themselves "Why did I just spend money to ship a car just to have it detailed?" I'm sure there are other shops out there that do work this well and I'm just happy to have one close to home.

More to come

Last edited by CarHopper; 02-13-2017 at 02:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarHopper:
AG6 (04-22-2017), mj_39 (02-13-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project E | ///AMG