PureTurbos upgrade $5995...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
They use machined A/R. 0.50 housings from MB from what I saw. What are they doing different than many tuners before? I think the housing is a limitation.
Big exhaust wheels in them vs cold side only. OEM housing machined I'm sure.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
all other tuners do bigger exhaust side too, except weistec W3.. W4 kit, renntech and ams all do bigger exhaust/ compressor combo... nothing new in the hardware.... its the tuner at precision tuning that is the difference.... Kevin knows what he's doing if you ever seen his BMW / subi results... same reason why he's the only tuner that has got stock turbos to go 10.6/133
Old 01-06-2017, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Looks like everybody here needs to contact Kevin for a good solid tune.

Do you think he can tune other turbo upgrades to gain similar power to pure stage 2 turbos?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
I don't think that someone can reinvent the wheel with the mentioned Hardware after the long time, these cars are on the market.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Originally Posted by gaspam
all other tuners do bigger exhaust side too, except weistec W3.. W4 kit, renntech and ams all do bigger exhaust/ compressor combo... nothing new in the hardware.... its the tuner at precision tuning that is the difference.... Kevin knows what he's doing if you ever seen his BMW / subi results... same reason why he's the only tuner that has got stock turbos to go 10.6/133

with WMI and tuned for it

it got 10.9 without WMI

still impressive
Old 01-06-2017, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I will wait for the early adopters results before I'm confident of the reported power gains. Sounds awesome if true.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats on the dyno
I couldnt agree more with the "reinventing the wheel"... There is no secret formula to make power, no unicorn tune or any other magic skill; Neither we claim to have acomplish something that anyone else cant do. Any person that puts the same time on a car, takes the time to dial in a setup not by the what specs sheets says, but with tons of testing on dyno and the track Im sure could acomplish the same results.

Of course, huge part of the insane gains comes from the upgraded turbos, they are just right... Pure spent endless hours trying to design this, and paid extra attention to what could be improve, something that can flow more exactly where is need it, Top end. We all know low and mid range is insane as it is from factory, They came up with a combination that lets the M157 breath during high RPM and doesnt kill the low end beautiful power band and actually improves it.

Any tuner will tell you the same, We dont make cars go fast... We just make them run right, efficiently and smoother by changing parameters already there, the info is in there to be used for whoever decides to put the right amount of time and effort. What does make a difference is being familiar with an specific application, knowing what the weak links are and try to work around them; pushing where it can be pushed without putting extra stresson what you already know its gonna break; its what allowed this car to get this numbers without trans/clutch slipping... Nothing else nothing more.

We take risks pushing cars to its limits to find out what they can hold, the dirty job no one wants to do... We break things so others dont have to when they come to us... Sometimes you get it just right, for how long? only time will tell. We take extra considerations and procedures to avoid break things, or attempt to stop before it happens, Something that as a regular user its complicated to stay on top of without the right equipment. Without a doubt turbos are capable of producing crazy amounts of power, probably more that what the drivetrain can hold... Doesnt mean everyone needs to try and push all out of the turbos; for must of us I believe the main goal is reliability, and if that requieres to not push all the way but just the enough to reach what each owner is trying to achieve, Im positive We will get to see plenty of this cars holding together on the streets.
The following 4 users liked this post by kbaldi29:
chiromikey (01-06-2017), cocobeex (01-06-2017), sevse7en (09-03-2019), Wickdwagon (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I called and just spoke with Melo at Precision about the car. Precision did do the full install and the tune.

For just the turbo kit + install you are looking at about $15k. The tune is an additional $2500ish and this does not include other aspects to that car such as downpipes and meth which you guys know at this point range a bit, so lets just call that $5k.

Basically, if you wanted to just drop your stock car off and drive away like this one, I'm under the impression you're looking to spend between $20-$25k and being in a position where I've done big builds in the past you may as well tack on a couple extra to be safe.

I'm not saying the $6k price is misleading, just wanted to go the extra step and really nail down some numbers for you guys.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Whats on the dyno
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I called and just spoke with Melo at Precision about the car. Precision did do the full install and the tune.

For just the turbo kit + install you are looking at about $15k. The tune is an additional $2500ish and this does not include other aspects to that car such as downpipes and meth which you guys know at this point range a bit, so lets just call that $5k.

Basically, if you wanted to just drop your stock car off and drive away like this one, I'm under the impression you're looking to spend between $20-$25k and being in a position where I've done big builds in the past you may as well tack on a couple extra to be safe.

I'm not saying the $6k price is misleading, just wanted to go the extra step and really nail down some numbers for you guys.
Let me clear it a bit for you guys, as a matter of fact I just finished making some numbers for someone also interested on the setup. Dyno, tune, turbos, meth kit, fluids, gaskets, plugs, 02 sensors and down to wheel aligment was bellow to the 20k you are assuming. Now I am gonna state a very important aspect. Pure after all their hard work and efforts they came up with a cost that works for them, and I like to believe that whatever the amount, expensive or cheap a shop decides to charge is up to their discretion, Im sure theres is plenty of information and other procedures that will surprise some as much as actually seeing what this cars are capable of did; there is other things that we consider indispensable to replace while this kind of upgrades are being done... perhaps parts that are not precisely upgraded, but normal maintenance items that most people ignores, that unfortunately for this cars are way above what the average price for other vehicles is... Most people never get to know because Free maintenace or warranty takes care of them for you, example: something as simple as spark plugs will cost you to around $30 a piece, add all the fluids involved pulling engine and transmission out the car and all the gaskets involved on doing this kind of job... Trust me... numbers start racking up pretty quick. Also im sure you can find other places to get it done cheaper than that... maybe they consider less indispensable to replace some of the stuff like a mentioned above that will definitely reduce considerably the cost of the whole job.

I dont want this to be taken as a dick, sounding like an *** saying "the price is the price"... lol Actually I just want to share some of the stuff ive learned throughout the years... There is more than one way to skin a cat, and different ways to do things, some will suit some customers and for sure its not what all of them need... Pure's price for their turbos is 100% what they say it is, but doesnt mean that replacing this turbos on this car is a piece of cake... literally "removing the car of the engine" is something doesnt take a day... well maybe.

Last edited by kbaldi29; 01-06-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
I've seen the cost and work of removing the engine from the E and it's not nearly much as I thought. Not any more than it was for a basic everyday sedan (not that this is).
Also I have almost paid to have my turbos removed and replaced and the quote was not that bad at all (bridge pipe and motor mounts were removed, almost pulled the trigger on removing turbo as well)
Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by kponti
I've seen the cost and work of removing the engine from the E and it's not nearly much as I thought. Not any more than it was for a basic everyday sedan (not that this is).
Also I have almost paid to have my turbos removed and replaced and the quote was not that bad at all (bridge pipe and motor mounts were removed, almost pulled the trigger on removing turbo as well)
I will have a set OEM turbo cores in a week
Old 01-06-2017, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by kbaldi29
Let me clear it a bit for you guys, as a matter of fact I just finished making some numbers for someone also interested on the setup. Dyno, tune, turbos, meth kit, fluids, gaskets, plugs, 02 sensors and down to wheel aligment was bellow to the 20k you are assuming. Now I am gonna state a very important aspect. Pure after all their hard work and efforts they came up with a cost that works for them, and I like to believe that whatever the amount, expensive or cheap a shop decides to charge is up to their discretion, Im sure theres is plenty of information and other procedures that will surprise some as much as actually seeing what this cars are capable of did; there is other things that we consider indispensable to replace while this kind of upgrades are being done... perhaps parts that are not precisely upgraded, but normal maintenance items that most people ignores, that unfortunately for this cars are way above what the average price for other vehicles is... Most people never get to know because Free maintenace or warranty takes care of them for you, example: something as simple as spark plugs will cost you to around $30 a piece, add all the fluids involved pulling engine and transmission out the car and all the gaskets involved on doing this kind of job... Trust me... numbers start racking up pretty quick. Also im sure you can find other places to get it done cheaper than that... maybe they consider less indispensable to replace some of the stuff like a mentioned above that will definitely reduce considerably the cost of the whole job.

I dont want this to be taken as a dick, sounding like an *** saying "the price is the price"... lol Actually I just want to share some of the stuff ive learned throughout the years... There is more than one way to skin a cat, and different ways to do things, some will suit some customers and for sure its not what all of them need... Pure's price for their turbos is 100% what they say it is, but doesnt mean that replacing this turbos on this car is a piece of cake... literally "removing the car of the engine" is something doesnt take a day... well maybe.
Are you Melo or from Precision? Or the owner of the car?

This post was confusing and no idea what you're getting at... Here's the facts I can tell you. If you want this setup and all you want to do is drop your car off and pick it up Precision will do it and it will cost you $20k +/- a couple.

Never did I say anything about fairness, or ongoing maintenance, or whatever... All I said was you can drop it off and pick it up for $20kish.

As for the technical and reinventing the wheel... Yeah, not going into that.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB&BMW

This post was confusing and no idea what you're getting at... Here's the facts I can tell you. If you want this setup and all you want to do is drop your car off and pick it up Precision will do it and it will cost you $20k +/- a couple.

Never did I say anything about fairness, or ongoing maintenance, or whatever... All I said was you can drop it off and pick it up for $20kish.

That's Kevin Baldi, the tuner who tuned this car at Precision Tuning.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3

He is the tuner who tuned this White E63S...I believe.

KEVIN BALDI from Precision Tuning.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 PM

Whats on the dyno

Yeah Im Kevin Baldi, I performed the install and have been tooning this E63 for a little while now... by any means coming at you, just making the cost situation clear. As I said previously, the estimate for that very same setup I did this morning for a custumer was under the 20k... didnt include the downpipes but not even then would cross that mark. I took advantage of the situation and try to explain a little about whats involved in doing it, give a better idea where your money is going to... At the same time clarify the fact that: First, the turbos cost, two, if this setup was to be performed on a stock car it wont be the initial 20-25k assumption, thats my main goal to correct here, believe it or not, just the extra 5k statement initially made, can steer people away... I Personally consider 5k big enough for me to reconsider doing a job like this, so just wanted to make sure I will give you a realistic, close idea to actual cost so there is no need to estimate or assume.

-On some other note, If anyone has more specific or complex questions about the setup/turbos I would be more than happy to explain in depth what is being done, and maybe help to reduce how skeptical some people can be regarding this. How this turbos are actually performing currently on the street its an incredible achievement from Pure that in all honesty deserves to be shared. You gotta give credit where is due... they did a great job with this things. Hopefully we will get a clear day soon so we can get so vbox data to share here and maybe a track slip if we can accommodate the facility in the near future.

Last edited by kbaldi29; 01-06-2017 at 10:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kbaldi29:
CarHopper (01-07-2017), sevse7en (09-03-2019)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by kbaldi29
Yeah Im Kevin Baldi, I performed the install and have been tooning this E63 for a little while now... *snip*
That's awesome! Nice to have you here.

As for the cost, I set out to figure out how much it would be to drop my stock car off and drive away in a mirror image of the one on instagram. I'm literally just being the messenger. When I called I was told $15k for the turbos + install and about $2400 for tuning. Then I was asked if my car is stock, said yes, and was told this car is running downpipes and perhaps meth. Through this thread I think we know it's on meth.

This brings us to downpipes which are advertised at ~$2700 (Rado), ~$5k (Renntech) and ~6k Weistec. I don't think there would be a labor cost associated here really if you're doing the turbo's because with the motor out it would just be like putting back in OEMs.

Then you just add in the Meth which is ~$500 (ECStuning) + install.

So I'm sitting here at $15k (turbos + install) + ~$2500 (tune) + ~$4k (some medium on the downpipes) + ~$1k (meth + install) and you come out with ~$22,500.

I noticed you said when you did the build/quote for a customer for less than $20k you left out the downpipes which I think is making a big difference here. As is the meth and nickel and dime items. Again, I'm just showing where I am coming from and how I got to that number, with the help of your shop and I think the quote you drew up for someone else sans downpipes is the small difference in price that has come between us.

What I'm not trying to do is say that this type of build isn't worth it or wrong companies were used etc. I'm also not saying anyone reinvented the wheel. I just like what I see which is why I tried to nail down a number. To be honest, I'm well beyond my wrenching days and have entered the "bought not built" realm which I am happy with. I would just like to drop the car off and then drive it away minus busted knuckles and headaches.

I'm still on the fence, and dropping $20k+ is a big deal (at least for me) so just being thorough. I look forward to seeing how this car performs but I am mostly interested in it's longevity. If the car can last, and even more so with clutch packs thrown in there, you may be seeing my car as well.

Keep up the good work
Old 01-07-2017, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

speedriven dps are ~1300 and rado can be had for ~1300 new https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-out-sale.html or 650 used https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...gone-asap.html) .... you will be all-in for under 20K installed
Old 01-07-2017, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I noticed you said when you did the build/quote for a customer for less than $20k you left out the downpipes which I think is making a big difference here. As is the meth and nickel and dime items.
that customer is me and the quote included meth kit installed and was under 20K... I already have dps which cost me 1200 on a forum vendor special (i installed them myself so no labor)

even if you have to buy downpipes you should be under 20K
Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
That's even better news if it comes in under $20k. Now let's see what this car can actually do.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you should check them out on instagram as they have a few vids up doing some quick speedo runs... looks fast for sure!
Old 01-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
C300
took me 4 hours to pull the engine . if I wouldn't waste as much as I already did I would pull the trigger for parts and tune . now I'm happy stock benz owner and HC , sad ..
Old 01-07-2017, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
This car just wasn't your luck. It is sad... maybe one day you will try it again?

cant wait to see this on the track
Old 01-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice numbers. Couple questions

was this done on 93 octane and meth?

is there any failsafe in the event of meth failure? It happens.

What are the limits of the stock trans in your opinion?

At what point do you recommended upgrading the rear and trans?

How do you access the ECU for the tune?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Amg63-
This car just wasn't your luck. It is sad... maybe one day you will try it again?

cant wait to see this on the track
no way I'll try it again lol kids will grow a little 991 turbo s st 2-3 and I'm good
Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM

Whats on the dyno
Originally Posted by untouchable
Nice numbers. Couple questions

was this done on 93 octane and meth?

is there any failsafe in the event of meth failure? It happens.

What are the limits of the stock trans in your opinion?

At what point do you recommended upgrading the rear and trans?

How do you access the ECU for the tune?

Thanks
This dyno was made one a detuned version of the previous Map in the ECU flashed for the stock turbos, Since I had the privilege of doing a Couple cars with upgraded turbos/trans/clutch before this one, I had a good idea about having to bring the power down in order to make the trans survive, something it wasnt possible on the previous cars.

SO... to answer your questions:

-Race gas and 50/50 meth, Realistically I decided to put racegas in more as a precaution than a power adder, With new setups sometimes is difficult to predict/control what the car is gonna do on the first pull. I really wasnt shooting for the car to make over +800whp with the first map,more like low mid 700s, especially being detuned to avoid any unexpected power(like it happened), Pure Turbos definitely caught me off guard lol, so the gas was a "just in case"... Better safe than sorry. I would suggest 600-650 for 93oct. Meth regardless of power level is a good idea.

-Meth can be wired to have safety, absolutely, most kit comes with the option and just requieres a little ingenuity to find a way to shut boost down in case of failure. Personally I use Meth more as a consistency and safety helper than a power adder, so even if meth fails AFR wont change drastically. At this power levels is always a good idea to not rely on one technique alone, Race gas-moderate timing-METH- Rich AFRs combined can work great to back each other. Obviously Squeezing power out of this car is not an issue, The trick is to make it last.

-Personally havent got to blow one up yet, ive heard of them breaking/bending/slipping at numbers all over the place ... But regardless of that, if you Dont have intentions of breaking stuff, dont own a race car and or your main goal is reliability, I would stay below 750hp 700tq no matter what your setup can make. Ramping power and stay off the dyno unless necessary like in the first tune can def prolong the life of the trans.

-If you can find a trans that holds, it would be ideal to upgrade it before stock blows up. The trick is to make sure what are you getting actually holds what it should and not less than the stock, like two previous upgrades I got to test before attempting to do turbos with a stock trans. Rear I really dont have enough experience or data about them to say if its needed and or what is the advantage of aftermarket over stock.

- And last, The ECU has to get bench flashed, It needs to be removed from vehicle, cover has to be removed, some cased the board has to be removed also depending on ECU variation, Then its connected to an interface that reads and writes the file after you make the necessary changes to the tables you want. OBDII flash currently is not an option on this ECU.

Hope this helps

Kevin Baldi
The following 2 users liked this post by kbaldi29:
sevse7en (09-03-2019), TTMerc (01-20-2017)