Made the jump... '09 C63 to '12 CLS63 PP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
Made the jump... '09 C63 to '12 CLS63 PP

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself as it is my first time posting in this sub forum. I picked up a '12 Magno Alanite CLS63 PP last weekend and had some questions about the car. I came from a lightly modded '09 C63 (Eurocharged Tune, X-pipe, K&N filters). The C was very raw and loud compared to the CLS. It will definitely take some time to get used to how much subtler this car is. That being said, I LOVE the matte Alanite paint, the PP bits, the look of the car as well as the additional amenities that is has over my C63. I'm looking forward to getting some more time with the car to get know its in's and out's.

I had a couple of questions that I wanted to ask you guys.

1. On cold starts, I have a rattle that starts immediately when the engine is fired but goes away when the idle drops down. Is this common?

2. I get a creaking sound when I turn the wheel left and right that is not the tires. Definitely sounds like a bushing or something related to the power steering. Is this a common issue for these cars? I plan on getting this and the rattle checked out by the dealer soon but it's a shame that I bought a CPO'd car that would have these issues right from the dealership.

3. How many of you guys have removed the second resonator? If so, have you used straight or an X-pipe? I had an X on my C63 and loved the sharp, agressive sound. Is this achievable with this car?

4. Has anyone had any issues with the angle of the rear view camera? Mine seems to be pointed down too far and could use some adjusting.

5. Are K&N filters worth the money on this car or does the existing airbox flow pretty well? On the C63 it was pretty restrictive and a lot of guys suched to the ROTW boxes.

6. I'm avoiding a tune for now as the car is CPO'd for almost another 2 years. Given how expensive the car was (for me anyways) I'm afraid of the dealership "Code 9"-'ing the car and voiding the warranty. How many of you guys have had issues with dealers and tunes on your car? I read that on these cars the tuners have to drill a hole in the ECU and fill it with a rubber grommet that is easily visible once the hood is popped. That worries me as an easy way to alert the dealer the car has been tuned.

7. Can someone explain to me how the AMG button works? I thought it stores your settings and I was able to hold it down until it beeped when I set my shift, suspension and traction settings but it didn't hold when changed the setting and then I went to hit it again.

Are there any other "newbie" things I should know about the car? I saw they improved the cooling system in 2013, bummer as the heat here in Texas during the summer can be a real pain!

Thank you all and I look forward to being a part of this new community!

Last edited by OrientBlue3; 05-28-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 GLS 63
I can answer your "newbie" things question and this is VERY important so please listen...

STEP 1: get in the car
STEP 2: point it down the road
STEP 3: put the gas pedal all the way to the floor
STEP 4: don't let off until you feel your hands sweat
STEP 5: repeat as often as necessary

That's it... Enjoy your awesome ride!!!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:38 AM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by Mapkos13
I can answer your "newbie" things question and this is VERY important so please listen...

STEP 1: get in the car
STEP 2: point it down the road
STEP 3: put the gas pedal all the way to the floor
STEP 4: don't let off until you feel your hands sweat
STEP 5: repeat as often as necessary

That's it... Enjoy your awesome ride!!!
I appreciate the sense of humor. However, I was looking for actual answers as I'm not new to AMG's, just new to this platform and motor.

Appreciate anyone who could chime in.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
1. On cold starts, I have a rattle that starts immediately when the engine is fired but goes away when the idle drops down. Is this common? there is a service bulletin on this, take it to the dealer to see if your car needs repair

2. I get a creaking sound when I turn the wheel left and right that is not the tires. Definitely sounds like a bushing or something related to the power steering. Is this a common issue for these cars? I plan on getting this and the rattle checked out by the dealer soon but it's a shame that I bought a CPO'd car that would have these issues right from the dealership. not sure on this, get it checked also

3. How many of you guys have removed the second resonator? If so, have you used straight or an X-pipe? I had an X on my C63 and loved the sharp, agressive sound. Is this achievable with this car? no experience with this

4. Has anyone had any issues with the angle of the rear view camera? Mine seems to be pointed down too far and could use some adjusting. yes, it sucks and the printed message covers part of the viewing angle

5. Are K&N filters worth the money on this car or does the existing airbox flow pretty well? On the C63 it was pretty restrictive and a lot of guys suched to the ROTW boxes. no experience

6. I'm avoiding a tune for now as the car is CPO'd for almost another 2 years. Given how expensive the car was (for me anyways) I'm afraid of the dealership "Code 9"-'ing the car and voiding the warranty. How many of you guys have had issues with dealers and tunes on your car? I read that on these cars the tuners have to drill a hole in the ECU and fill it with a rubber grommet that is easily visible once the hood is popped. That worries me as an easy way to alert the dealer the car has been tuned. I looked into this in some detail, and found a MB dealer near me that said they would not consider a tune as to void the warranty, HOWEVER they also told me the final decision is not up to a dealer but rather the manufacturer, MB. I decided it was just too much of a risk for me, given the cost of repairs if anything did happen

7. Can someone explain to me how the AMG button works? I thought it stores your settings and I was able to hold it down until it beeped when I set my shift, suspension and traction settings but it didn't hold when changed the setting and then I went to hit it again. I never use it but my understanding was it set your settings in memory, so that you would only have one button to push

Last edited by Steinhart; 06-01-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
the dealer also told me they can tell if the car is tuned with their software, which provides all the history, even if it is set back to default mode
Old 06-01-2015, 10:38 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
congrats: where are the pics??
Old 06-01-2015, 12:45 PM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by Steinhart
1. On cold starts, I have a rattle that starts immediately when the engine is fired but goes away when the idle drops down. Is this common? there is a service bulletin on this, take it to the dealer to see if your car needs repair

2. I get a creaking sound when I turn the wheel left and right that is not the tires. Definitely sounds like a bushing or something related to the power steering. Is this a common issue for these cars? I plan on getting this and the rattle checked out by the dealer soon but it's a shame that I bought a CPO'd car that would have these issues right from the dealership. not sure on this, get it checked also

3. How many of you guys have removed the second resonator? If so, have you used straight or an X-pipe? I had an X on my C63 and loved the sharp, agressive sound. Is this achievable with this car? no experience with this

4. Has anyone had any issues with the angle of the rear view camera? Mine seems to be pointed down too far and could use some adjusting. yes, it sucks and the printed message covers part of the viewing angle

5. Are K&N filters worth the money on this car or does the existing airbox flow pretty well? On the C63 it was pretty restrictive and a lot of guys suched to the ROTW boxes. no experience

6. I'm avoiding a tune for now as the car is CPO'd for almost another 2 years. Given how expensive the car was (for me anyways) I'm afraid of the dealership "Code 9"-'ing the car and voiding the warranty. How many of you guys have had issues with dealers and tunes on your car? I read that on these cars the tuners have to drill a hole in the ECU and fill it with a rubber grommet that is easily visible once the hood is popped. That worries me as an easy way to alert the dealer the car has been tuned. I looked into this in some detail, and found a MB dealer near me that said they would not consider a tune as to void the warranty, HOWEVER they also told me the final decision is not up to a dealer but rather the manufacturer, MB. I decided it was just too much of a risk for me, given the cost of repairs if anything did happen

7. Can someone explain to me how the AMG button works? I thought it stores your settings and I was able to hold it down until it beeped when I set my shift, suspension and traction settings but it didn't hold when changed the setting and then I went to hit it again. I never use it but my understanding was it set your settings in memory, so that you would only have one button to push
Thank you Steinhart for getting back to me. I really appreciate it. I will get the service bulletin info for sure.

I'm pretty sure the steering creaks are a worn bushing. I will get that fixed at the same time.

Going to remove the resonator and go straight pipes in 2 weeks when I get back from vacation. The car is significantly quieter than my C63 which had tune, filters an X-pipe. I didn't realize it how much I'd miss it and how much quieter this new car would be.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:48 PM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by hyperion667
congrats: where are the pics??
They are coming! As you may have heard in Texas, we've had historic rains here the past month and Sunday was our first day of sun. I did get the car washed and will try to take some more pics soon.

Here is a quick one from last week when it was trashed. I do love that this paint hides dirt well!
Attached Thumbnails Made the jump... '09 C63 to '12 CLS63 PP-fullsizerender-20-.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
good lord that's pretty......like mine

I forgot how nice the stock wheels look
Old 06-01-2015, 01:37 PM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by hyperion667
good lord that's pretty......like mine

I forgot how nice the stock wheels look
Thank you! Been trying to figure out where I could painted reflectors with the matte paint. Any idea? I ordered the cheap smoke ones off eBay for the time being because the orange is driving me crazy!