C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

RWD CLS63 - worth tuning?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
RWD CLS63 - worth tuning?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2014 CLS63AMG S Shooting Brake. In Australia, we get only the S version but in Rear Wheel Drive (the 4Matic is not made in right hand drive yet). I like to tune cars towards the end of the warranty period.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile tuning this car, given that it is not AWD. Would extra power and torque give meaningful increases in acceleration or just more wheelspin?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by Pumpkinate
Hello everyone,

I have a 2014 CLS63AMG S Shooting Brake. In Australia, we get only the S version but in Rear Wheel Drive (the 4Matic is not made in right hand drive yet). I like to tune cars towards the end of the warranty period.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile tuning this car, given that it is not AWD. Would extra power and torque give meaningful increases in acceleration or just more wheelspin?

Cheers,

Steve
It depends on your goal. Are you dragging it? If so, probably yes unless you are using wider (than stock) drag radials. I just had my 2012 RWD tuned and the throttle response is immensely better, the car sounds significantly better (more barks and gurgles than before tuning) and obviously just has a ton more power. Does that mean you're going to spin the tires more at low speed? Sure, but how often are you giving it full power from a dead stop or low speeds? For me just the low end torque gives me endless pleasure on daily driving and if I'm going to hammer it, I'm probably on a highway where the road is more open and I'm already doing 60mph+ where the tires won't spin.

Those are just my thoughts. It's obviously not a cheap decision and you already have a sick car, so you can't lose either way!
Old 06-30-2015, 01:30 AM

2014 CLS63 S
Thanks OrientBlue3 for your reply.

I'm not going to drag it but I'm definitely a keen driver! My RS6 was tuned and would do 0-100km/h (0-62MPH) in 3.8sec repeatedly, so I'm used to a fair amount of performance. You're right, for rolling acceleration tuning should help a lot anyway.

I'm hoping a tune will also improve the accelerator pedal response? At the moment there seems to be a delay after you stab the pedal before you get an engine response, and then the response doesn't feel quite linear. It gives it a spongy disconnected feel which spoils an otherwise excellent car.

Where did you get your tune?

Have you ever measured the 0-62 time after tuning it?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 06-30-2015, 05:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by OrientBlue3
It depends on your goal. Are you dragging it? If so, probably yes unless you are using wider (than stock) drag radials. I just had my 2012 RWD tuned and the throttle response is immensely better, the car sounds significantly better (more barks and gurgles than before tuning)
really tune changed the sound?

which tune??

and definitely a tune is good for rwd youll probably get higher trap speed than a AWD cls, and maybe even beat a tuned AWD cls in 1/4 with good drag tires...

from what ive seenbthe 4matic really robs power... rwd are quite a bit faster.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by mainly

which tune??

and definitely a tune is good for rwd youll probably get higher trap speed than a AWD cls, and maybe even beat a tuned AWD cls in 1/4 with good drag tires...

Any one who has owned a 55k tuned will tell you there is no such thing as full gas peddle acceleration in 1rst or 2nd from very low speeds. 2nd gear roll ons is possible if you have good tires.

Now fast forward and we have nearly 100 extra whp (600 range) when tunning a 63 biturbo. I am not sure how that thing will have any traction in 1rst or 2nd.

I do not count the drag strip as your everyday event. Normal roads are what these cars are daily driven on.

So the question you should ask your self is how often do i do high speed roll on races? and where do i have to go to be able to do it, vs ever day usable traction and acceleration of a AWD

We all want the fastest, but we also want usable at the same time
Old 06-30-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by mainly

which tune??

Yes, in the short time I've had my car, I have noticed the tune made the car sound much more alive. The M157 was much too quiet for my liking stock coming from a tuned and X-pipe M156. I removed my resonators first and put in straight pipes. That opened it up a little, but the tune did much more than the pipes did. That surprised me.

Pumpkinate- I have the Eurocharged tune. They are great guys. Definitely give them a call if you are considering a tune. I have not had time to do any 0-60 runs yet as my car is at the dealer getting the rest of my mods installed. I did also go with the Weistec spark plugs which are a step colder than stock given the Texas heat, I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry as some cars have had misfires with tunes only.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:02 AM

2014 CLS63 S
Thanks,

I've decided I'm definitely going to tune this car. I tested it tonight with a "PerformanceBox" and the best I could get 0-100km/h (0-62MPH) was 4.4sec which is surprisingly slow. It seems to lose most of the time off the line (it seems to hesitate before picking up the revs). It could be that my car has some mechanical issue.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Thanks,

I've decided I'm definitely going to tune this car. I tested it tonight with a "PerformanceBox" and the best I could get 0-100km/h (0-62MPH) was 4.4sec which is surprisingly slow. It seems to lose most of the time off the line (it seems to hesitate before picking up the revs). It could be that my car has some mechanical issue.
i don't know how you think you 0-60 times will improve with more power...you will just trigger traction control

Now if it top speed and roll on races then yes go for it
it will be more violent down low with a tune, which is fun, but i wouldn't expect better 0-60 unless you are running some good rubber
Old 07-02-2015, 04:43 PM

2014 CLS63 S
Originally Posted by Zod
i don't know how you think you 0-60 times will improve with more power...you will just trigger traction control

Now if it top speed and roll on races then yes go for it
it will be more violent down low with a tune, which is fun, but i wouldn't expect better 0-60 unless you are running some good rubber
Well, if I can generate enough smoke I won't be able to see the speedo and I'll think I'm going faster.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:45 AM

2014 CLS63 S
I tried a few more runs tonight and got my 0-100 down to 4.1 sec, not too bad for a wagon. There's a bit of a learning curve with this car. I found the fastest runs are in Sport, foot on the brake, rev to 2000rpm, then foot off the brake as you smoothly depress the accelerator more. Strangely, the Race Start function was way slower, doing around 5.1 sec!
Old 07-04-2015, 07:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Strangely, the Race Start function was way slower, doing around 5.1 sec!
5.1?

were you in the rain? something is wrong.
even just flooring the car off idle, even with tons of wheels spin, you should never be out of the 4.XX's. never.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:40 AM

2014 CLS63 S
No rain, but I had done quite a few blasts before trying the race start function, it might have upset something Also, the road surfaces in rural Australia are rather poor. One thing is clear though, at least on my car, the Race Start is slower than doing things yourself.

The car definitely struggles to get off the line, but its rolling acceleration is very good:

Those 30-50 and 50-70 times are exactly the same as my old RS6.