Aux static from iPhone 6 '14 63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S63 AMG Coupe Edition 1
Aux static from iPhone 6 '14 63S

Hey guys,

I upgraded to the 2014 cls63 S about 6 months back and am loving the car. However, i've run into a very annoying problem. First few weeks I had the car the aux input to my iphone 6 for music worked great. ( I use flac or equivalent music files). However the past few weeks, I've been getting tons of static and scratching noises when I use the aux input and have had to switch to bluetooth.

I bought a ground loop noise isolator from Amazon thinking it would fix the problem, but it still remains. Any ideas or tips to make the sound clearer ?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
---
I can't specifically speak to the '14, but on my '13 CLS63 I listen to music with my iPhone 6 via the lightning connector (upgraded from the 30-pin cable) in the center console. Quality is outstanding. Certainly better than the BT connection.

Why even bother with the AUX connection? For talk radio maybe, but it's an analog connection after all. Just my .02

Last edited by wasupdu; 09-02-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the tip about the lightning connector. Only thing is can you control apps from the COMAND console ? I switch between spotify and tidal and some other services so the lightning would work for the offline music library but how about apps with music libraries?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:45 PM

---
Originally Posted by Phallacy
Thanks for the tip about the lightning connector. Only thing is can you control apps from the COMAND console ? I switch between spotify and tidal and some other services so the lightning would work for the offline music library but how about apps with music libraries?
I don't use spotify or tidal, but I CAN control my SiriusXM app and apple music app through COMMAND. To be more specific, when I say control, I mean you can advance the tracks (and volume) but you're not able to navigate apps unless you use the the touchscreen on the phone. Everything is fully functional within the apps on the phone though. The only downfall is that the Mercedes lightning connector is only 10-12 inches. Aftermarket extension cables are available, but this things is clearly intended for your phone to remain in the center console. I'll be picking up an aftermarket extension cable very soon.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:53 PM

Exactly the problem I'm trying to work around re: phone in the center console w/o access. Are the extension cables available on eBay as well like the lightning connectors and if so, do you have the search term so I can find it ?

Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:05 PM

---
I would think something like this would work, although I haven't tried it:
Amazon.com: Lightning Extension Cable (2 foot black) for iPhone 6, 6 Plus; Pass Video, Data, Audio Through Male to Female 8-Pin Cable. dockXtender for Lightning by CableJive.: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Lightning Extension Cable (2 foot black) for iPhone 6, 6 Plus; Pass Video, Data, Audio Through Male to Female 8-Pin Cable. dockXtender for Lightning by CableJive.: Computers & Accessories

The big thing with aftermarket iPhone cables is that some features aren't supported with some cables, yet some work flawlessly. Apple doesn't offer an OEM lightning extender that I'm aware of.

I currently keep my phone sitting in the ashtray (open) while plugged in and the center console door closed. It's a short reach, but it works. Another 1-2 ft would be ideal.

Please let me know what route you end up going. I primarily drive the CLS during the winter months, so frustration for me hasn't kicked in yet , but I'm sure it will come late November.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by wasupdu
I would think something like this would work, although I haven't tried it:
Amazon.com: Lightning Extension Cable (2 foot black) for iPhone 6, 6 Plus; Pass Video, Data, Audio Through Male to Female 8-Pin Cable. dockXtender for Lightning by CableJive.: Computers & Accessories

The big thing with aftermarket iPhone cables is that some features aren't supported with some cables, yet some work flawlessly. Apple doesn't offer an OEM lightning extender that I'm aware of.

I currently keep my phone sitting in the ashtray (open) while plugged in and the center console door closed. It's a short reach, but it works. Another 1-2 ft would be ideal.

Please let me know what route you end up going. I primarily drive the CLS during the winter months, so frustration for me hasn't kicked in yet , but I'm sure it will come late November.

Hmm, I'll buy that cable and test it out. Amazon is pretty good with returns plus with a prime sub shouldn't be a hassle to return. Do you recommend any specific ebay / Amazon sellers for the lightning connector ?

The strange thing is I had an 09 cls550 and the aux input via dash was nearly flawless (same phone, same app) . The sound was so crisp especially on full blast which I like to do sometimes.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:56 PM

---
I picked up that 2 ft CableJive lightning extension cable and everything works great. iPhone charges, music plays and album artwork displays all while the center console doors are closed.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by wasupdu
I picked up that 2 ft CableJive lightning extension cable and everything works great. iPhone charges, music plays and album artwork displays all while the center console doors are closed.
Awesome. I just came back to report the exact same thing. Even with spotify and tidal got all the info plus artwork etc popping up on the display. Got my lightning in on Friday while the cable came in Thursday. Love the difference. Thanks again for the suggestion wasupdu!

Now if they could just start putting the burmester 3d surround sound available in my S in the upcoming CLS, music would be heaven for those 40 minutes or so to work.