C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

2012 CLS63 AMG PP Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG PP
2012 CLS63 AMG PP Oil consumption

I am being told by my local dealer that it is normal for this engine to use about a 0.85 liters per 1000KM....
Can someone give me their experience with this issue?
I seem to be using about a quart every 600 miles!
That seems excessive to me, I'm in the dark, HELP
Old 05-25-2016, 11:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP, Renntech
How hard do you drive?
The following users liked this post:
brainstormer1 (05-26-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by brainstormer1
I am being told by my local dealer that it is normal for this engine to use about a 0.85 liters per 1000KM....
Can someone give me their experience with this issue?
I seem to be using about a quart every 600 miles!
That seems excessive to me, I'm in the dark, HELP
The stat they quote is out of the manual but seems like yours is excessive ... I have an m157 as well and drive moderately hard and barely go through any oil

Do you have a tune, drive hard?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:27 PM

2012 CLS63 AMG PP
First of all thanks, Peter Ubers and Launch Pad for showing interest in my dilemma.
1) I don't have a tune
2) I pretty much stay in Sport drive.
3) I'd have to say I'm moderately hard on it. But it's a Mercedes and should not have a problem driving it as designed.
4) Cruise about 80-85 mph on the freeway. I live in California where you use freeway to go anywhere.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:41 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I also have a 2012, and it used to ask for oil every few months, usually took half a Q, but certainly not every 600 miles! I do agree it sounds excessive......our cars do consume oil but not that quickly in my experience.........
don't know why it's so thirsty, have you taken it in? Have any warranty left on it?
Old 05-27-2016, 11:18 AM

2012 CLS63 AMG PP
Yes, I have taken it in and yes I have a warranty on it.
I am currently in the middle of a dealer test.
Initially, I went in requesting a compression test. The dealer stated that procedurally, the first step is to drain the oil, replace the filter and drive for 600 miles (1000km) and then bring it back to have the usage measured. (About 250 miles to go)
But, I wanted to hear from actual owners to compare my usage with others. And to get an unbiased assessment as to what is normal.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:25 PM

2012 CLS63 PP, Renntech
I have to add a quart after 1500 or so miles if Ive been driving pretty hard.
The following users liked this post:
brainstormer1 (05-28-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 AMG P30
What brand of oil and viscosity are you using?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by M66M
What brand of oil and viscosity are you using?
More oil burned with 5w-30 compared with 0w

Did you break it in hard or gently for the first 1000 miles ?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 AM

CLS63 AMG P30
I haven't had any issues with 0 but I have with 5.

Last edited by M66M; 05-31-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 AM

2012 CLS63 AMG PP
Oil Consumption

I am using Mercedes Benz Fully Synthetic 5w-40.
How it was broken in is unknown.
I purchased used with 11k miles on it from a MBZ dealer who had certified the car.
I'm under warranty until 2019 but I am not all that confident in the info I am getting from those who work for the brand.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 PM

2012 CLS63 PP, Renntech
I would push them to check the car that is too much with either weight of oil.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63
Mega Oil Consumption

I have a 2012 CLS63 with a tune, I'm now consuming a Quart every 300 miles. I have had many problems and don't know if they're linked. I had dozens of misfires after the tune, that was fixed by minor adjustments to the spark plugs made by the tuner. The oil consumption has gotten worse and worse since.

I've gone thru the protocol at Dealer, I just got word from MBUSA and the dealer that the problem won't be covered under warranty. They saw some scratches on 2 of my cylinder walls and say the issue is related to the tune. I have been told by a SA from another Mercedes Dealer that this is a known issue thats been covered under warranty on other M157 engines. The fix is a New Block and Pistons etc.

I'm picking my car up at the dealer today, I've called my tuner for the past few days, can't get him on the line.

This SUCKS, not sure how this will pan out.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by tlowry
I have a 2012 CLS63 with a tune, I'm now consuming a Quart every 300 miles. I have had many problems and don't know if they're linked. I had dozens of misfires after the tune, that was fixed by minor adjustments to the spark plugs made by the tuner. The oil consumption has gotten worse and worse since.

I've gone thru the protocol at Dealer, I just got word from MBUSA and the dealer that the problem won't be covered under warranty. They saw some scratches on 2 of my cylinder walls and say the issue is related to the tune. I have been told by a SA from another Mercedes Dealer that this is a known issue thats been covered under warranty on other M157 engines. The fix is a New Block and Pistons etc.

I'm picking my car up at the dealer today, I've called my tuner for the past few days, can't get him on the line.

This SUCKS, not sure how this will pan out.
So sorry to hear this man. I've had all sorts of issues with mine as well. Mine is mainly bucking or enging revving (by a few hundred rpm) after wet clutch engagement at low speed or at a stop. I had my plugs changed and re-gapped to .022 and that did not help. Dealer could not diagnose the problem. I had no CEL and even MB regional techs looked at it and could not find or even replicate the problem (supposedly) despite it happening every day when I drive the car. Car was at the dealer for over 3 weeks and was supposedly even driven home by a manager and no one could ever replicate the problem. The best they could estimate was that the TCU was super sensitive to the increase in torque from my tune, even after the tune was erased and the ECU was updated. They claim they could not fully erase the tune which I have to believe is total BS. Long story made less long, it's still happening and I'm looking to trade in the car for a '15 C63 S.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:19 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Ill jump in and hope it will also confirm with what others are saying. While tuned I blew through plugs pretty darn often. I am 99% confident it is the tune that sucked, it has been on the dyno while being tuned so I could confirm my assumption. Oil consumption didn't increase drastically initially. Also had and still have the same transmission issues as Orient. Will be taking the CLS back into service and have them check tranny again and push to have it replaced since this isn't the first time complaining about it.

4 months ago I had my dealer flash it back to stock. When I got it back replaced the spark plugs with new factory ones. In the last couple months my oil consumption has been getting worse, almost every 1000-1200 miles it asks for a quart. I suspect it could be the turbos, under hard acceleration Ill get some oil based smoke out of the exhaust. And I dont believe its the piston rings.

BTW, Orient....They cant half *** erase a tune. hahaha!! They flash the stock updated programming into the EMS/ECU. Also plugs have nothing to do with what you described. Its trans related. I think you service rep is blowing smoke to ya bud. They know the trans in our cars crap out a bunch. They just keep doing trans relearns and hoping you stop asking about it. But tell me it doesn't suck when the car does that jerky motion when it cant figure out to engage the gear or not...Drive there tech around and make it happen while he is in the car. Im blessed to have a good relationship with the SA (which used to be a Multi high end brand tech) and we have 1 top AMG tech in the back and he is amazing!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by will175
Ill jump in and hope it will also confirm with what others are saying. While tuned I blew through plugs pretty darn often. I am 99% confident it is the tune that sucked, it has been on the dyno while being tuned so I could confirm my assumption. Oil consumption didn't increase drastically initially. Also had and still have the same transmission issues as Orient. Will be taking the CLS back into service and have them check tranny again and push to have it replaced since this isn't the first time complaining about it.

4 months ago I had my dealer flash it back to stock. When I got it back replaced the spark plugs with new factory ones. In the last couple months my oil consumption has been getting worse, almost every 1000-1200 miles it asks for a quart. I suspect it could be the turbos, under hard acceleration Ill get some oil based smoke out of the exhaust. And I dont believe its the piston rings.

BTW, Orient....They cant half *** erase a tune. hahaha!! They flash the stock updated programming into the EMS/ECU. Also plugs have nothing to do with what you described. Its trans related. I think you service rep is blowing smoke to ya bud. They know the trans in our cars crap out a bunch. They just keep doing trans relearns and hoping you stop asking about it. But tell me it doesn't suck when the car does that jerky motion when it cant figure out to engage the gear or not...Drive there tech around and make it happen while he is in the car. Im blessed to have a good relationship with the SA (which used to be a Multi high end brand tech) and we have 1 top AMG tech in the back and he is amazing!
Oh I know for sure they were blowing smoke up my ***. I even had videos of it happening with mileage, date, time stamps, etc. They claimed it never happened to them in the multiple times they drove the car including once overnight with a manager. I did drive the head tech around the dealership in the car after it sat overnight because it happened especially when the motor was cold but of course it didn't happen that ONE time. They basically said I would need to buy a new ECU and they didn't even know if that would fix it. That was just the "best" solution because they couldn't explain what was happening. They even sent data to their Regional tech to analyze my ECU logs which showed nothing. Their best guess was that the TCU is hyper sensitive to increases in torque and it's picking up the bump in torque, especially when the motor is cold when it is open loop and it freaks out trying to balance it out. They did flash the ECU and updated it to the latest software and despite that, they claim they could not fully erase the tune. This was all guestimation though from what I surmise since they could not find any hard data to prove otherwise. They gave me the car back after 3 weeks and didn't even charge me despite my car being out of warranty and tuned. They did not charge me because they knew they couldn't figure it out. This is coming from a dealer who will charge you for EVERYTHING.

As a side note, I ended up sending the ECU back to Eurocharged and they re-flashed it with the tune after all this since the car did it stock and tuned, they wrote a new tune for the newest ECU software the dealer installed and that seemed to fix a lot of the cold motor issues. However, it still happens every time I drive the car at least once whenever the motor gets warm. Same symptoms...I come to a stop with the brake pedal depressed, when fully stopped the motor blips revs up a few hundred RPM's (I gather this is when the auto wet clutch is engaging) and depending on how quickly I come off the brake depends on whether the car hesistates/stutters/bucks (if cold), etc. If stopped long, it's not too bad, it's the worst in stop and go traffic.

To be clear to anyone who is curious about this situation, I drove the car tuned for 6 months with zero issues before this started happening. No new mods, no updates, nothing. So I don't believe for a second it could randomly start and be a software issue. I firmly believe this is a hardware issue with the clutch or TCU unit.

Last edited by OrientBlue3; 09-12-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:14 PM

2012 CLS63 AMG PP
Dealer told me that usage is normal.
But I did switch to the 0w40 and I must say, oil consumption has greatly decreased.
Thanks for all who brainstormed this issue.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:00 PM

GLC Coupe, S63L W222
I have had my cls 63 2012 since Mid July 2016 and have so far topped up oil at the dealers 3 times (1 Liter per visit)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GLS450
I have 2012 CLS63, also had hesitation and rpm blips at stops when cold. Dealer replaced the wet clutch under CPO warranty and the issue is solved. No tune, stock engine.

I would love to get a tune, but couldn't stomach the potential repair bills if warranty was denied. Does not take much to run up a 10K bill with these cars. Also, people might think I'm a lunatic driving my daughter to preschool in a 700hp car. I'm sure they already think I'm an *******.