C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

CLS63s Illuminated door sill flickering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
CLS63s Illuminated door sill flickering

I noticed this about 6 months ago, but totally forgot and didn't notice it again until the other night.

My drivers side door sill illuminated AMG logo occasionally flickers (sometimes off/on, other times medium brightness to full brightness, usually just medium to full brightness).

Video:

Just wondering if anyone knows if this behavior is caused by the illuminated door sill itself, or if it's the controller that could cause this specific symptom.

Even though my vehicle (2015 CLS63s) is only just over a year old, I'm already past the wear and tear warranty (I'm at 49,000km), so not sure if this would be covered...

Take it to the dealer, or if it's just the door sill light bar, how hard is it to swap out on the CLS63 (I can't find any specific instructions or threads on the W218)?

Cheers
Old 01-06-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
Would be cool if it pulsed to music or something lol.. Take the plastic cover off that goes over the carpet. It just pops off. From there you can take out the kick panel in front of that then fold the floor board back and peel carpet back to reveal a smorgasborg of wires. You'll see the tape like wires kind of just thrown into the mix. Check that connection. I doubt the actual door sill is going out. Mine flickered when I was trying to find a relay in there so thats most likely what it is.. Good luck! Lemme know if you need anymore guidance
Old 01-06-2017, 02:44 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Originally Posted by TTMerc
Would be cool if it pulsed to music or something lol.. Take the plastic cover off that goes over the carpet. It just pops off. From there you can take out the kick panel in front of that then fold the floor board back and peel carpet back to reveal a smorgasborg of wires. You'll see the tape like wires kind of just thrown into the mix. Check that connection. I doubt the actual door sill is going out. Mine flickered when I was trying to find a relay in there so thats most likely what it is.. Good luck! Lemme know if you need anymore guidance
This is JUST the kind of response I was looking for! Thanks buddy!

That plastic long strip piece, I tried using a little bit of force up, and sideways, but it didn't pop off. Does it come off going up, or sideways towards the seat?
Old 01-06-2017, 03:58 PM

2014 CLS63 S
If this is its virgin removal she we be a bit tight. Lifts straight up. Can do with your hands from the bottom.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:38 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
If this is its virgin removal she we be a bit tight. Lifts straight up. Can do with your hands from the bottom.
Thanks!

And when you say "take out the kick panel in front of that". What is the kick panel? Are you referring to further up forward almost underneath the dash?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:45 PM

2014 CLS63 S
Correct. Theres a panel with two torx bits under the glove box and TWO electrical connectors one bulb and one sensor. Then the kick panel on the right (if you were sitting in the car) Slides back towards the rear of the car to come out. You'll see how to put it back when you remove it.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Correct. Theres a panel with two torx bits under the glove box and TWO electrical connectors one bulb and one sensor. Then the kick panel on the right (if you were sitting in the car) Slides back towards the rear of the car to come out. You'll see how to put it back when you remove it.
So even though it's the driver side sill that's flickering, the wiring goes over to the passenger side?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:13 AM

2014 CLS63 S
Did you pull up the drivers side the same way?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 AM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Did you pull up the drivers side the same way?
I haven't touched anything yet. Unfortunately I've been extremely busy, and in the mean time the temperatures have dropped to -33 Celsius with windchill.

If I do attempt to check it out myself, I'm going to wait until temperatures get warmer so I don't damage any clips or anything.

I did look at it yesterday though, and it doesn't look like theres a removal panel further up against the wall on the dash on the drivers side (it's my driver side sill that's acting up).
Old 09-13-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS (2016), GL63 (2016), SL63 (2022) -- Old Cars: E400, CLS 63s, ML 63, CL 600, S550 ...
Zhariak - did you ever figure this one out? I have the same issue on my CLS 63S. I am about to investigate.

Originally Posted by Zhariak
I haven't touched anything yet. Unfortunately I've been extremely busy, and in the mean time the temperatures have dropped to -33 Celsius with windchill.

If I do attempt to check it out myself, I'm going to wait until temperatures get warmer so I don't damage any clips or anything.

I did look at it yesterday though, and it doesn't look like theres a removal panel further up against the wall on the dash on the drivers side (it's my driver side sill that's acting up).
Old 09-14-2019, 08:27 AM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Originally Posted by MurrayG
Zhariak - did you ever figure this one out? I have the same issue on my CLS 63S. I am about to investigate.
Light in the assembly was burning out/glitching. Dealer replaced it, new one works great.