C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Camber adjustment for lowered cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Camber adjustment for lowered cars

Well my first set of tires bit the dust this morning, the thread on my passenger rear tire was completely worn on the inner side, leading to a perforation and a flat. Luckily this happened leaving a parking lot and not speeding on the freeway. Mileage is just under 10k.

I have ordered new tires from Tirerack -- ContiSportContact 3 in the same 305/25-20 and 255/30-20 sizes as the current Pirellis). They should arrive and get installed Monday.

Tire failure was definitely premature because of the negative camber on my car, as a result of the Renntech lowering module. Last time I researched it there really wasn't a way to correct significant negative camber on the W219 cars, hence I did not bother with an alignment. Are there any products available now that can fix this ?

I know Z rated tires won't ever last more than 15k miles, but 9-10k miles sucks...
Old 05-17-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
magLipVE
i think you need to align your car after installing the module. i did the washer method, with alignment, no issues at all...
Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
Eric where in the world have u been buddy? Good to see ya!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Eric,

You need Renntech new chamber kit...
Old 05-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Eric,

You need Renntech new chamber kit...
What's a cHamber kit?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by goalie_k
What's a cHamber kit?
SORRY for the TYPO, camber kit.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
to have adjustable camber on a 211/219, you would also have to get the adustable toe link kit from Renntech. A combined toelink kit with a camber kit from renntech is the ultimate in adjustability. No one else offers this.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Thanks for the suggestions. New tires will go on tomorrow... will decrease the drop a bit until I get the camber issue addressed.

I did find these relatively inexpensive products by KMAC which I think would take care of the camber problem:

http://www.iapdirect.com/home.php?ca...f52bd7ced130ba

They also sell these for a bit less via Ebay motors, $235 for the rear camber/toe kit and $359 for the front camber/caster kit. I would think any decent alignment shop could handle the install.

So... Adam and/or Sunil, could you please explain to me the difference between these KMAC parts and the Renntech offerings ? I think the Renntech toe link kit retails for $1495 by itself, what is the pricing for their camber kit ? Or what is the total cost for the whole suspension package ?And will this just address the rear wheels, or are there parts to correct the front also ?

Basically what advantages do the Renntech parts have over the much cheaper KMAC parts ?

Thanks

PS -- I've been pretty scarce here because of work and family obligations and some other hobbies eating up my time. But its time to start tweaking the care a bit more

Last edited by Heisenberg; 05-20-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:38 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
is your car black? with black wheels? think i saw you yesterday on Hayden?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:29 PM

e55211 traded in for CLS55
Originally Posted by RennTech55K
Thanks for the suggestions. New tires will go on tomorrow... will decrease the drop a bit until I get the camber issue addressed.

I did find these relatively inexpensive products by KMAC which I think would take care of the camber problem:

http://www.iapdirect.com/home.php?ca...f52bd7ced130ba

They also sell these for a bit less via Ebay motors, $235 for the rear camber/toe kit and $359 for the front camber/caster kit. I would think any decent alignment shop could handle the install.

So... Adam and/or Sunil, could you please explain to me the difference between these KMAC parts and the Renntech offerings ? I think the Renntech toe link kit retails for $1495 by itself, what is the pricing for their camber kit ? Or what is the total cost for the whole suspension package ?And will this just address the rear wheels, or are there parts to correct the front also ?

Basically what advantages do the Renntech parts have over the much cheaper KMAC parts ?

Thanks

PS -- I've been pretty scarce here because of work and family obligations and some other hobbies eating up my time. But its time to start tweaking the care a bit more

I am having this problem also (replaced rear p2s after 4K). Then I read about KMAC's camber kit and went to a suspension shop and was told that since the type of suspension used on CLS 55 is different than the the non-amg cls, the KMAC camber kit will not fit the cls55. Can someone confirm this?

thanks...
Old 08-19-2007, 02:57 PM

well i think they have a kit specifically for the amg...at least that is what i thought when i saw the pat listing in there. i will have to double check.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:28 PM

magLipVE
Originally Posted by MrAMG
I am having this problem also (replaced rear p2s after 4K). Then I read about KMAC's camber kit and went to a suspension shop and was told that since the type of suspension used on CLS 55 is different than the the non-amg cls, the KMAC camber kit will not fit the cls55. Can someone confirm this?

thanks...

wow... after 4k miles? what settings are you using on the renntech? did you even get an alignment?

mine is too early to tell, since i've only put 3k miles since the module. tires still looks good, with no abnormal wear. I have the module set at 3 front and 5 rear.

you might want to contact this seller and see if there are one for cls55.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...cls&category0=
Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
guys

about the k-mac kits....

I used these on a C32 but this car was used for track driving ... or chasing down 996 TT's. I managed to set some VERY quick times in the car by using the camber kits from k-mac to increase negative camber.

While they work ok there are some serious issue you should all know before installing them. First they take your nice ride and throw it OUT the window. The car will ride like a lumber wagon and you will remove the parts and gladly eat tires in exchange. Second, they are prone to failure as I had 2-3 sets fail during my time with the parts. K-mac was very good with resolving the issues and Kevin (their engineer in AU) is a great first rate guy but there were still issues. With what I have shown them never versions are thicker and stronger but I still am not sure they are perfect. Finally, they squeak very loudly when you suspension arms move. The poly in the bushings is just prone to squeaking and there is nothing you can do about it. That is just the nature of the beast.

On a car used for track driving they were great but for street use, but I would stay away and go with RENNtech and whatever they have on the market instead.

With time the C32 was sold mainly due to the terrible ride quality with all the suspension work. Going fast requires stiff parts and it just got long in the tooth.

I would not put these parts in my SL55 or E55 as it would just defeat the purpose of the luxury sports sedan/roadster.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-21-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:34 AM

thanks...you saved me. i have used kmac before but never had that bad of results. i will just go with the renntech stuff.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:35 AM

Exclamation Not an AMG owner, I drive a CLS500

In regards to the KMAC camber kit. I purchased the front and the rear kit from KMAC. Like a previous post, I don't really recommend them. I liked the fact that it did straighten out my tires, but the other side effects cheapen the car. I didn't notice any loss of ride quality, but you will squeak, loudly. Did I mention that they SQUEAK! I mean they make noise when you drive slowly. I couldn't even stand driving my car near a group of by-standers, due to the noise. It's the polyurethane bushings. Turning in was the worse, ie..a parking spot. They need to fix this as it makes your car sound cheap. I just replaced everything with the factory pieces, I haven't gotten the car back yet as this was all recent stuff. I'll let you know how the factory pieces work out as my car is lowered and I'm keeping it that way. Later. Ant
Old 08-25-2007, 06:58 PM

e55211 traded in for CLS55
thanks for all the info and looks like I will stay away from KMAC.

Spinsonic, I don't have the rtech module - my car was lowered using star diagnostic by steve.

Thanks again!