C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

ECU Reset and Tranny Adaptations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLS 63 AMG
ECU Reset and Tranny Adaptations?

Ok, I did the ECU reset trick, worked like a charm. Shifting has been GREATLY improved and it's actually behaving like an AMG in "S" mode should (holding the gear longer, rather what it was doing before - shifting too quickly and getting somewhat boggy).

Well, doing this trick, does it completely erase your prior tranny adaptations? If I drive it aggressively from now now, for whatever period of time, should it adapt and continue to shift like it is now, or will it revert at some time to how it was before?

If it adapts, how long does this process to adapt take?

I'm asking because I did the trick yesterday, drove it only a few miles to see if it worked (it did - drove like a new car!), and parked it in the garage overnight. When I drove the car his morning, it was seemingly back to it's original sluggish self. Did I just not drive it enough yesterday for the adaptations to "take"?

Anyone know?

And on a related note, is there any way to disable the adaptations and force it to drive aggressively all the time?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG 030
airtime23ECU Reset and Tranny Adaptations?
Ok, I did the ECU reset trick,
Not sure what “ECU reset trick is.” Or what you did to do that.
This will get it into “Track Mode.”
A: Sport
B: ESP off
C: 3 hard launches
As long as you leave it in Sport, it should stay.
Comfort will reset it back to “normal.” (At least on my car this is what happens.)
Warning when on old or slick asphalt… When shifting into Second, (Hits so hard it sound like a bomb going off.) the rear-end will fish tall. It’s like hitting water! Learn to feather the throttle and you will be ok.
Good luck
is there any way to disable the adaptations and force it to drive aggressively all the time?
The only thing I know is to disable ESP in the setting. (Dino mod)
I wouldn’t think that would be too safe to drive on a daily basses. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 PM

2009 CLS 63 AMG
Thank you, fn. I'll try that.

Quick question, though. Do you have to leave the ESP off at all times after you put it into "track mode" or can you put it back on after the 3 hard lauches?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:15 PM

2009 CLS 63 AMG
Oh, and by the way, the ECU reset is as follows:

Make sure doors/windows/radio stay closed during the entire process.

1 - Key in position "2" (just before ignition)
2 - Push the gas pedal all the way to the floor (past the click point) and hold it there for a minimum of 5 seconds.
3 - Still keeping the pedal all the way down, return the key to the off/"0" position.
4 - After the key is in the "0" position you can let the pedal up.
5 - Stay in the vehicle (don't open any doors/windows and leave the radio off) for 2 minutes. You should hear something whirring from the dash when it's done.

This resets the factory ECU and erases the shift adaptations.

The difference was quite noticeable! Held gears longer and really allowed me to drive aggressively without having to worry about "early" upshifts.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 PM

'08 CLS63
someone correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think the sneaky ecu reset works on the m156 engines from what i read in jackpro's post in the w211 forum.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG 030
Yes you can or the next time you start the car the traction control will automatically come back on.
Make sure doors/windows/radio stay closed during the entire process.

1 - Key in position "2" (just before ignition)
2 - Push the gas pedal all the way to the floor (past the click point) and hold it there for a minimum of 5 seconds.
3 - Still keeping the pedal all the way down, return the key to the off/"0" position.
4 - After the key is in the "0" position you can let the pedal up.
5 - Stay in the vehicle (don't open any doors/windows and leave the radio off) for 2 minutes. You should hear something whirring from the dash when it's done.

This resets the factory ECU and erases the shift adaptations.
Thanks for the info… did not know that.