2006 CLS55 AMG Modifications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
>
yes, but that flow is not alone ... and his twin son from the other side will do his best to not let him in )
my guess is that the traded flow will actually be low. maybe greater at low speed. In any case , not an easy test to prove.

Just had a quick look at a few older threads about x-pipes but, as usual, mixed results .. somebody's saying they lost, others gained up top .

found also this interesting FLOW SIMULATION video
Old 04-22-2016, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, it would be a dream to have our own dyno bench, together with somebody doing the RE-RE job, and go testing any mod we keep wondering about -- LOL

now, as I've recently been introduced to a retired welder, and haveng a pair of klee's headers sitting here, I was thinking of letting him do the following "embellishment"

.. transform their "raw" merge collector into a decent pyramidal one, by fitting a merge spike cone, like this "instructional picture" that I prepared for him ...LOL

pics are taken mostly from ConeEng-

as this requires cutting, I think that, by the way, I would also replace the current straight end pipe with a divergent one: I mean, making a narrower throat, say 62mm dia., and end up to about 70mm ID, so as to get some Venturi effect.
This, together with the Pyramid cone should help avoid much torque loss down low.

what do ya think ?

Last edited by dyno; 04-22-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by dyno
yes, it would be a dream to have our own dyno bench, together with somebody doing the RE-RE job, and go testing any mod we keep wondering about -- LOL

now, as I've recently been introduced to a retired welder, and haveng a pair of klee's headers sitting here, I was thinking of letting him do the following "embellishment"

.. transform their "raw" merge collector into a decent pyramidal one, by fitting a merge spike cone, like this "instructional picture" that I prepared for him ...LOL

pics are taken mostly from ConeEng-

as this requires cutting, I think that, by the way, I would also replace the current straight end pipe with a divergent one: I mean, making a narrower throat, say 62mm dia., and end up to about 70mm ID, so as to get some Venturi effect.
This, together with the Pyramid cone should help avoid much torque loss down low.

what do ya think ?
Absolutely, keep that pyramid in the center as long as possible to increase the scavenging (venturi) effect to a maximum, that way it helps the other cylinders "pull" their hot exhaust gases out and away from the engine.

The YouTube video is very interesting. They say the Factory Hybrid pipe was the worst, and yet, none of them seemed to be "poor" in flow. The H-Pipe did exactly as any one would suspect, the blow-by exhaust would travel right by it with maybe 5-10% of its pulse transferred into the H, but never across it. In effect, at high RPM the H-Pipe would almost be completely eliminated creating, in effect, a dual exhaust system (where neither of the two are connected). the X-pipe design (2nd simulation) I found to be almost inaccurate if you were to logically think about the flow of air (as a fluid of course). How would the exhaust gases simply "wrap" them selves around the approximate 90degree bend, instead of heading straight through the large opening between pipes? At high RPM the exhaust air would be moving very quickly and my guess is that 80-90% of it would literally cross over into the other side, and the same would happen from the opposite bank.. again, that was an artificial simulation, meaning it was done on some basic digital graphics software. Had it been done with a thermodynamic software, or a 3D modelling software with real physics and flow simulation, such as SolidWorks or CATIA V5 or various other softwares, then maybe we could take it into consideration.

-Pete.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

embellish the Klee would just be an exercise ... yes, pyramid cones must be longer than shown in the pic.. they must be much more like those on the second last small picture.
But I'm not doing that for scavenging. Just to achieve a better and faster laminar flow. Scavenging is a matter of lenght.

About the VIDEO, not bad ... why are you surprised that in the second simulation for the X-pipe the flow is not heading straight through the opening ? ... I was telling you that, at high rews, its likely that both flows will repel each other, and again behave as straight pipes (the twin son flow will do his best to not let the other come into his pipe).

Pete, I 'm really passionate with exhausts but unfortunately I haven't finished the calculations for my own tuned lenght sequential 4-2-1 project .. I just calculated the lenght of primaries' step where I want them to produce low pressure and help the piston to rise toward tdc .. now the difficulty is trying to equalise the uneven firings of these damn cross-plane engines .. very difficult, too much large differencies in firings timing: our f.o. 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8-1
Black is Left bank (passger) and Red is right bank (driver's)
For example considering the Left: = 1,_,4,2,_,3,_,_,1 where each comma is 90° crank distance. So:
1&4 are OK at 180° distance. Scavenging here's possible.
4&2 instead are just 90° separated.
2&3 it's ok as for 1&4;
3&1 are too far away. 270° .again we have a problem.
So, cyl 3 can't get any help from cyl 1 neither in terms of scavenging, nor as pumping help during its rise toward tdc. Cyl 4 is just slightly better off.
The same problems on the right bank. or, even worst: 7&8 are not only just 90° separated but are also adiacent cylinders. They are condemned to aethernal suffering...

Exhaust pipe tuning is difficult ..there are a lot of variables and, in any case, you can tune just for a specific RPM range.
Then, after all your calcs, it comes up that there is no room for making the header that you want ! ...not talking about the cost. Better to take it as just a game - lol

"CLS MODIFICATIONS" is an addicting game
I'm now even thinking that the exhaust duct in the head needs porting ...
Old 04-22-2016, 06:21 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by dyno
embellish the Klee would just be an exercise ... yes, pyramid cones must be longer than shown in the pic.. they must be much more like those on the second last small picture.
But I'm not doing that for scavenging. Just to achieve a better and faster laminar flow. Scavenging is a matter of lenght.

About the VIDEO, not bad ... why are you surprised that in the second simulation for the X-pipe the flow is not heading straight through the opening ? ... I was telling you that, at high rews, its likely that both flows will repel each other, and again behave as straight pipes (the twin son flow will do his best to not let the other come into his pipe).

Pete, I 'm really passionate with exhausts but unfortunately I haven't finished the calculations for my own tuned lenght sequential 4-2-1 project .. I just calculated the lenght of primaries' step where I want them to produce low pressure and help the piston to rise toward tdc .. now the difficulty is trying to equalise the uneven firings of these damn cross-plane engines .. very difficult, too much large differencies in firings timing: our f.o. 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8-1
Black is Left bank (passger) and Red is right bank (driver's)
For example considering the Left: = 1,_,4,2,_,3,_,_,1 where each comma is 90° crank distance. So:
1&4 are OK at 180° distance. Scavenging here's possible.
4&2 instead are just 90° separated.
2&3 it's ok as for 1&4;
3&1 are too far away. 270° .again we have a problem.
So, cyl 3 can't get any help from cyl 1 neither in terms of scavenging, nor as pumping help during its rise toward tdc. Cyl 4 is just slightly better off.
The same problems on the right bank. or, even worst: 7&8 are not only just 90° separated but are also adiacent cylinders. They are condemned to aethernal suffering...

Exhaust pipe tuning is difficult ..there are a lot of variables and, in any case, you can tune just for a specific RPM range.
Then, after all your calcs, it comes up that there is no room for making the header that you want ! ...not talking about the cost. Better to take it as just a game - lol

"CLS MODIFICATIONS" is an addicting game
I'm now even thinking that the exhaust duct in the head needs porting ...
This is becoming exhausting, pun intented. The theories could be spoken about for a life time, literally. I can definitely say that all of the different constructions will provide different results, whether you want performance down low, mid-range, or up top is up to the driver and what they want to do with the car.

As for our dilemmas and our cross-plane engines, well... ****. there will be a limit to what we can do about then... Until we reach that limit, mod on. haha
Old 06-15-2016, 06:31 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Ladies and Gents,

The modifications continue. I'm having my Valve Covers and Intake Manifolds (surge tanks) powder coated satin black to match the NeedsWings Intake kit. I purchased it simply for aesthetics under the hood. Everything will be satin black except the "///AMG" logo and the super charger itself.

I've started making my own belt wrap kits, I've got material to make 10 kits, one of course will be mine, 9 remain to sell. Most kits sell for $450, $500 even $600USD, I plan to sell them for $500CAD. They come with everything except for the belt. I don't want to buy a box of belts to accommodate everyone's pulleys and setups. I also am in the process of designing a fixed pulley for our cars that mounts directly onto the supercharger input shaft. Yes, that means no more large black steel drum spinning, no more excess weight, just a nice billet and anodised aluminum pulley. The goal is to have the belt wrap kits and pulleys done and ready for mid-july (approximately 1 month). I've been crazy busy at work and haven't had the time to put the wrench time in until lately.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers,
Pete.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Interested in the BWK. The pulley can be purchased, but tuning has been difficult for some.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:17 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
Interested in the BWK. The pulley can be purchased, but tuning has been difficult for some.
As far as I know, the bugs have been fixed in the latest tune (came out in 2013 at some point). As for the BWK, again, hopefully sooner, but mid-july is the intended date.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Don't do fixed pulley if you're doing a pulley upgrade.
Go with 77mm clutched.

The Eurocharged boxed tune is no good for the fixed pulleys.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:29 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MTV10
Don't do fixed pulley if you're doing a pulley upgrade.
Go with 77mm clutched.

The Eurocharged boxed tune is no good for the fixed pulleys.
Why is their tune "no good"? there are a lot of forums that do support it once the bugs were worked out. I have all the cooling mods needed for it, and the car is a show piece, it gets driven on weekends only.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
More Progress

Hey all,

Just wanted to update more progress after this weekend. I didn't have a lot of time to work on the car this weekend, being that it was father's day weekend and I wanted to spend some time with my dad and the family, but I got my valve covers and intake manifolds back from powder coating. I went with a Satin Black finish to match my Teflon Black intake setup. I spent hours cleaning up the valve covers and intake manifolds to help the powder coating guys make the job easier.

Here's what they looked like before the were cleaned & coated:

Dirty valve covers

More dirty valve covers

Old oil residue

More old oil residue

Here's a shot of what the small breather caps look like cleaned:

The rest of the valve covers ended up that clean I just couldnt take the picture after, my hands were sore as h*ll.

Here's a shot of the final product:

Just got them home in the garage.

Valve covers installed.

Driver's side.

Passenger side.

Of course, new valve cover gaskets were installed. New gasket sealant was used on the smaller breather covers as well (no gaskets for those). The Mercedes-Benz dealership ended up ordering the lower intake manifold gaskets (between the supercharger and heads). So hopefully early this week I'll have the new upper gaskets (that I need) for the intake manifolds, and that way I can finish the installation.

If you notice on the picture of the whole engine with the valve covers installed, the front left 8 squares of the supercharger are much brighter than the rest, that's another 3-4 hours I spent cleaning the supercharger. McMaster-Carr sells brass & stainless steel brushes for dremel tools. I bought a pack of 10 of each kind, the stainless cleaned all of the old dirt/dust/oils off really well and the brass version sort of smoothed the surface a bit. the supercharger now looks beautiful. the "///AMG" at the back of it really stands out now. Once I finished with that, I sprayed it with Krown T-32 rust inhibitor & penetrating fluid. I let it soak in that for a few hours and then wiped it down to clean up the excess fluid. Because its a rust inhibitor, there is a bit of a cleaning action with it, and believe it or not, some of the left over carbon deposits (black spots) ended up lifting right out.

Can't wait for the new gaskets, I haven't driven the car in over a week.

-Pete.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55, Audi A7, Range Rover Sport
Siiick. Keep up the good work brother
Old 06-21-2016, 06:22 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
And the final product!

NeedsWings 55K Intake Kit

With the NeedsWings Stickers

Maybe because it's been over a week since driving it, maybe its the placebo effect, maybe I'm making things up, but this intake kit feels as though it makes a huge difference beyond 2500RPM. I took my girlfriend for a drive after I finished installing everything... Jesus... We cruised down the road and let everything settle back in, all the new gaskets, the new intakes, and the powder coated bits. Once the car was warmed up, I figured I'd have a few pulls.

I brought the car up to 2nd gear, at 3000rpm, and hammered the throttle... it shoved me into my seat more than I've ever felt... I don't have any pulley upgrade yet, and it breaks the tires loose in 2nd gear from 3000-4500rpm I can feel the wanting to get sideways... even my girlfriend said "this car feels totally different when you floor it".

Credit goes to NeedsWings for the beautiful looking kit and perfect installation with all the proper accessories included. No missing parts, no extra items needed, just a beautiful and easy kit to install.

-Pete.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
The engine bay looks very clean great work, NeedsWings doesn't list a intake for a CLS so i'm assuming you purchased the E55 Intake
Old 06-21-2016, 11:03 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by AndreNY
The engine bay looks very clean great work, NeedsWings doesn't list a intake for a CLS so i'm assuming you purchased the E55 Intake
That is correct. Rob @ NeedsWings hasn't had a CLS55 customer yet, so I ordered the E55 kit and said I'll be the first. I sent him the pictures so he can post them the website.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just catching up on this project -- nice work!

I am not sure I'll do the whole exhaust swap you did but I definitely want to separate my intercooler circuit like you did. Can you show a current pic under hood with everything all put back please?
Old 06-23-2016, 05:56 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Uber Schnell
I am not sure I'll do the whole exhaust swap you did but I definitely want to separate my intercooler circuit like you did. Can you show a current pic under hood with everything all put back please?
The engine bay pictures are a couple posts up from here, the whole bay is put back together, can you not see them on your computer?

Or are you looking for a specific kind of picture?

-Pete.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:29 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
CF Lip Installed

I finally took the time to install the Carbon Fibre Front Lip:

I know I'm not a photographer, but hey, I tried
Old 06-25-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
2006 CLS55 AMG Modifications

Hey car looking great. Coming on so nicely. Ps that needs wings intake kit, does it come with everything... Or did you have to purchase some extra stuff.. And how was fitment for the CLS55? What's the price of the kit. Glad to hear it makes a difference.. I'm keen for it on my car as well
Old 06-26-2016, 06:02 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by C32owner
Hey car looking great. Coming on so nicely. Ps that needs wings intake kit, does it come with everything... Or did you have to purchase some extra stuff.. And how was fitment for the CLS55? What's the price of the kit. Glad to hear it makes a difference.. I'm keen for it on my car as well
Thanks man! Fitment was perfect, no extra bits needed. Price of the kit can be found on the needswings website, just tell Rob what size throttle body you're using.

I definitely recommend it, even if the kit does nothing for a stock car, it dressed up the engine bay REALLY well
Old 07-11-2016, 06:51 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to chime in and update you, on the NeedsWings website, under the CLS55 AMG Intake section, we now have a displayed dual cold air intake kit.

Take notice of some familiar photos

Also, just had a calendar photo shoot on Sunday with a bunch of great people from the Berlin Klassik Euro car show. The show is September 10th-11th (2 day event) here in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. They're an amazing group of people and I can't wait to see the finished photos & videos.

If you're on social medias (instagram etc) check for updates on sneak peaks of the calendar photo shoot, my car, the other cars and a few videos! Or better yet, come out to the show!

-Pete.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:41 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
New CF rear diffuser

Hey guys,

Just another small addition, the Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser, probably the last of the aesthetic mods. I'm really happy with where the car is, anything more and I feel like it will lose its touch.

Onto pictures!

-Pete.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

couple of Benzos
all you have to do now is change the taillights and that's it
Old 07-29-2016, 08:34 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by AndreNY
all you have to do now is change the taillights and that's it
What's wrong with my tail lights???
Old 07-29-2016, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

couple of Benzos
Originally Posted by pmgiarrizzo
What's wrong with my tail lights???
nothing wrong with them they old and ugly just like mine were so I updated them ('09+ full LED) this was the best outside mode IMO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 CLS55 AMG Modifications