C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS 55 AMG exhaust finished - Thoughts and feedback (posted in wrong section yest)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 AM
7om

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS55 AMG
CLS 55 AMG exhaust finished - Thoughts and feedback (posted in wrong section yest)

Hi,

Just a quick post for anyone with a CLS interested in modifying their exhaust.

I had lots of difficulty making my mind up on which way to go with the exhaust on the CLS.

So after watching various YouTube vids trying to find out what sound I wanted - everything apart from the rear boxes removed!

My fear was that doing this would make the car too loud and uncivilised.

I fitted Eurocharged manifolds, decat with the x pipe up the front (where the secondary cats and balance pipe are) and removed the resonator.

Whilst trying to figure out what sound I wanted, I realised that the placement of the X-Pipe had an effect on the sound. Having an X at the front where the secondary cats are gives you more of a high pitched machine gun sound with a stunning race v8 howl under medium load between 2-4k rpm. Whereas having an x at the back gives you a deeper and more burbly V8 sound.

After hearing the C63 note on a dyno at MSL on my first day of ownership, I figured I like the high pitch V8 sound so had my X towards the front. I removed the resonator too because I want maximum volume under load and don't mind putting up with a small burble providing I get maximum volume for the main events!

Here are a few clips on YouTube. I hope this helps for anyone considering doing the same to their CLS as I found it surprisingly difficult to get A-B comparison ideas.

Feel free to check my other vids if you're into tuning or ICE. My old 560BHP GTO is on there and even my old workhorse A6 subtle custom install that won a few contests.

Feel free to subscribe on YT as I'll be doing lots more to the CLS over the next 6 months.

Startup and Idle,

WOT run,

Cheers,

Tom
Old 08-18-2015, 08:40 AM

2016 CLS63s AMG
Nice one!
although I think the idle noise is a bit higher than what I would prefer. but the driving roar screams AMG!!!
How does the car sounds on HWY from inside?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:56 AM
7om

Mercedes CLS55 AMG
Thanks,

It's really quiet when you're just cruising along, just a faint burble. I plan to do some track days and drift days but I want to get the cooling system finished first to keep the IAT down.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55, Audi A7, Range Rover Sport
That's the ideal sound for these cars IMO - Love it. I have the same exhaust mods minus the heads and this confirms that I need them. I know the EC/Kleeman headers are suppose to produce between 20-30whp gains on the dyno but curious to whether or not you feel a dramatic increase in performance? Thanks for the videos!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG
OMG!! That sounds amazing!! Got any pics of the whole exhaust system.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Flo1989
That's the ideal sound for these cars IMO - Love it. I have the same exhaust mods minus the heads and this confirms that I need them. I know the EC/Kleeman headers are suppose to produce between 20-30whp gains on the dyno but curious to whether or not you feel a dramatic increase in performance? Thanks for the videos!
i have the eurocharged mids as well. It feels like you lose a little of the low end and power shifts more into the mid range. Top end pulls incredibly harder now.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:06 PM
7om

Mercedes CLS55 AMG
Hey,

Thanks. I have pics in some of my other video's, subscribe if you want updates as I'll be posting everything up there.

Here's one from a few months ago with a few pics of the exhaust, manifolds (headers in US) You can see the custom front section, even a drive by with only headers.