2008 CLS63 Purchase Question and Warranty Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S124, X166, W219 AMG
2008 CLS63 Purchase Question and Warranty Experience

I am looking at 2 different cars.

The first is a 2007, $27k, 30k miles. Iridium and Cashmere.

The second is a 2008, $30k, 33k miles. Capri Blue and Cashmere.

CarFax shows extensive visits to MB of Palm Beach for the 2007. Otherwise also clean.

Autofax shows no dealer service for the 2008. Otherwise clean. One owner (or the first person had it for 18 months and drove it 1,800 miles). Can't tell for certain.

My only concern about the 2008 is I won't get documented service for the first 33K miles (and 9 years). Did the guy buy a $100K car and just take it to Jiffy lube for oil changes? Really? How will this affect my resale value later? Will it affect the car's longevity? Some questions that are swirling in my head.

However, despite the higher price, I'm leaning towards the 2008 car for one primary reason - I'd buy it from CarMax and they have a great warranty. I had a BMW 5 series wagon. Paid $2,400 for the warranty, got $14k of repairs.

Though the other car is really nice and fully documented, but I've not had experience with whatever warranty company the dealer might sell me (a franchise dealer, but not a MB dealer).

Given potential head-bolt issues, cam related issues (CA and soft camshaft lobe issues) and other misc junk, I can't go without a good warranty. I'm expecting there could be $20k of repair work needed in the next 5 years. I can get a 5yr/75k warranty for about $3k from CarMax. I won't drive this thing another 42k miles in the next 5 years.

Edit - got an quote from Assurant to compare to CarMax - $7100 for the Assurant vs $3100 for CarMax, which has a lower deductible. Both 5 yrs from purchase and up to 75k miles total.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by AustinOski; 01-10-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: More Content
Old 01-14-2017, 12:23 PM

S124, X166, W219 AMG
Geez, you guys were a lot of help.

I bought the 2008 w/34k miles. It was here, liked the color combo and maybe most importantly was the CarMax warranty (correction, $3200 for 5yr/75k miles).

The car has no documented history other than one visit to the dealer. However, I talked to the guy who owned it prior (snapped a photo of the title at the dealer and tracked him down). It had the 1500 mile check at the dealer and he changed the oil and that's about it.

I have 5 days to change my mind, going to have it checked at Luxury Autoworks here in Austin (the dealer said they don't do pre-purchase inspections any more). My main goal is to document that there are no pre-existing issues so I won't have problems with the warranty company later. I've had great experience with the CarMax warranty before, so I'm not that concerned. But, better safe than sorry.

Next step will be a brake line flush (MB service manager said every two years is recommended) and a transmission service at 40k (maybe sooner since it is 9 years old).

I'll get a photo posted soon(ish).

Cheers!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 GL550
Hey Austin, you seem well versed in these cars.

I'm looking at an 08 CLS63 with around 25k miles.

Hes done a few upgrades, Renntech chip, headers and exhaust.

I dont plan on keeping the car too long, maybe a year? I'll probably put less than 5k miles on the thing.

What should I look for before buying the car and what kind of problems can I expect?
Old 01-27-2017, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Not all warranties are the same. Most excluded air suspension and display electronics.

You want a fully exclusionary warranty. Exclusionary lists what is not covered vs non excludionary lists what is covered.
Also warranties now cover only Mechanical Breakdowns. Exclusionary have language that covers wear and tear such as smoking piston rings or valve stem guides. The more you pay the better the coverage.
AMGs are expensive to cover.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by kensiko
Hey Austin, you seem well versed in these cars.

I'm looking at an 08 CLS63 with around 25k miles.

Hes done a few upgrades, Renntech chip, headers and exhaust.

I dont plan on keeping the car too long, maybe a year? I'll probably put less than 5k miles on the thing.

What should I look for before buying the car and what kind of problems can I expect?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 PM

S124, X166, W219 AMG
kensiko - Sorry for the late reply. If you've been reading the site, you know the biggest weakness on this motor is the head bolt issue. It's potentially a $16k plus repair. That's why I bought mine from CarMax with their Max Care warranty. Keep in mind also, they are not inexpensive to maintain. Front brakes (w/new rotors) are something like $3k. It's not a Camry (but I'm sure you know that).

It's an exclusionary warranty. I echo M berman's comment - get an exclusionary warranty. Given the potential costs of issues with these vehicles, I would not own one without the warranty. Just not personally up for the risk.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Most often the fine print in the extended warranty contains a list of items not covered including no coverage for wear and tear, only for mechanical failure. No coverage for excessive oil consumption, smoking, etc. Also for their afforable pricing most likely the air suspension is excluded.

Check out the technical forum-Extended Warranties. A reputable warranty co with a fully exclusionary policy for 4-5 year is very pricey for the AMGs. You get what you pay for.

Check out the TSBs. I believe the 07 had the faulty 7g tranny that is only repairable at the Dealer due to factory restriction on parts to indy shops.

Last edited by m_berman; 02-14-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 PM

S124, X166, W219 AMG
@m_berman,

If "for their affordable pricing" is in reference to the CarMax (MaxCare) warranty, that's not the case - air shocks are covered. As an exclusionary warranty it covers everything that is not listed and they do not list shocks, air shocks or any other suspension parts. They list maintenance and maintenance parts (e.g., filters, plugs, batteries, fluids). They do not exclude any other part categories (e.g., suspension, electronics) that some others do, other than some things like glass, rubber moldings, flexible body panels, etc.

In fact, the 30 day warranty they include on all cars they sell specifically lists struts as included.

It costs less because they only offer one warranty for all the cars they sell. Unlike most other dealers, they don't offer multiple warranties from multiple companies. They also try and have you do the work in house with their lower deductible (for me it's $0 there, $50 elsewhere).

I also think there must be a mistake. I paid $3,200 for the warranty, but the same warranty on a Mini Cooper was $6,400. Then again, maybe not a mistake. Those break weekly or so I hear.

I can tell also tell you this. They've been chasing a suspension squeak, which then became a "clunk". They've replace upper and lower controls arms and ball joint, front air shock, calibrated air suspension, done an alignment, put in adjustable camber bolts and several other things. They've done some of the work and paid to have the MB dealer do some of it. Including the suspension work and other non-suspension fixes (e.g., door handle with bad sensor), they've done what would have cost me about $7k at the deal. I've paid $0.00.

And, they let me choose a loaner off the lot. Bad news is 23 days later, I still don't have the car. Neither they nor the dealer can find source of the noise. Meanwhile, I have a new front suspension. Bet I get a new anti-roll bar tomorrow!

Bottom line is, you get more for your money for their warranty than any other I know of. As I said above, it's my second go-round with them. They paid out $14k for the $2,400 warranty on a 530xi wagon we had. New transfer case at 40K miles? Ok.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AustinOski
@m_berman,

If "for their affordable pricing" is in reference to the CarMax (MaxCare) warranty, that's not the case - air shocks are covered. As an exclusionary warranty it covers everything that is not listed and they do not list shocks, air shocks or any other suspension parts. They list maintenance and maintenance parts (e.g., filters, plugs, batteries, fluids). They do not exclude any other part categories (e.g., suspension, electronics) that some others do, other than some things like glass, rubber moldings, flexible body panels, etc.

In fact, the 30 day warranty they include on all cars they sell specifically lists struts as included.

It costs less because they only offer one warranty for all the cars they sell. Unlike most other dealers, they don't offer multiple warranties from multiple companies. They also try and have you do the work in house with their lower deductible (for me it's $0 there, $50 elsewhere).

I also think there must be a mistake. I paid $3,200 for the warranty, but the same warranty on a Mini Cooper was $6,400. Then again, maybe not a mistake. Those break weekly or so I hear.

I can tell also tell you this. They've been chasing a suspension squeak, which then became a "clunk". They've replace upper and lower controls arms and ball joint, front air shock, calibrated air suspension, done an alignment, put in adjustable camber bolts and several other things. They've done some of the work and paid to have the MB dealer do some of it. Including the suspension work and other non-suspension fixes (e.g., door handle with bad sensor), they've done what would have cost me about $7k at the deal. I've paid $0.00.

And, they let me choose a loaner off the lot. Bad news is 23 days later, I still don't have the car. Neither they nor the dealer can find source of the noise. Meanwhile, I have a new front suspension. Bet I get a new anti-roll bar tomorrow!

Bottom line is, you get more for your money for their warranty than any other I know of. As I said above, it's my second go-round with them. They paid out $14k for the $2,400 warranty on a 530xi wagon we had. New transfer case at 40K miles? Ok.
You're talking from experience. Sounds like a great deal buying a car from a single source for car and warranty.

Buying a 3 rd party warranty after factory & CPO warranties have expired is extremely expensive.

You did well.