CLS55 Fuel pump replacement issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 03:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
CLS55 Fuel pump replacement issue

Hi guys,

My 2005 cls55 (vin #:WDD2193762A030031) is in the process of getting its fuel pump replaced (1 month and counting). I am having the work done by a local European car mechanic and the parts provided by a Mercedes dealership. The issue seems to be with a revised pump being supplied. The mechanic says that the fuel return line is missing a Y/T piece stopping both pumps from being supplied with returned fuel. Or it may be the other way around..

The dealership has supplied the pump and all associated parts in the catalog. The diagram supplied in the catalog doesn't seem to be matching the part they supplied but is correct part #. Has anyone come across this issue when replacing their fuel pump, is there a supporting part number I could suggest to try speed this process up?

Cheers,
P Rat
Old 01-15-2017, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
This is all the same parts as the E55, and it has been discussed to death over there. Do a search on the E55 forum and you should find everything you need.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by PieRat
Hi guys,

My 2005 cls55 (vin #:WDD2193762A030031) is in the process of getting its fuel pump replaced (1 month and counting). I am having the work done by a local European car mechanic and the parts provided by a Mercedes dealership. The issue seems to be with a revised pump being supplied. The mechanic says that the fuel return line is missing a Y/T piece stopping both pumps from being supplied with returned fuel. Or it may be the other way around..

The dealership has supplied the pump and all associated parts in the catalog. The diagram supplied in the catalog doesn't seem to be matching the part they supplied but is correct part #. Has anyone come across this issue when replacing their fuel pump, is there a supporting part number I could suggest to try speed this process up?

Cheers,
P Rat

There is no fuel return line. Find a new mechanic.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Hi there, sorry for a late reply. I hope you have come right by now. If not, I reckon this may be your issue as its what I experienced as well on mine.

You are quite correct in the revised pump from Mercedes, its bloody ridiculous what they have done but the issue is actually the power plug connector for the fuel pumps. They have switched the black/red or whatever colour the wires are, sorry it's been awhile so I don't recall specifics, but basically yes only one pump will run or something to that effect and the car won't run after a few seconds.

So what I did was use my old lid from the old pumps with the old connector and use the new buckets with new pumps. Problem solved.. But merc themselves didn't even know about the silly revised wiring issue.

Thought that would have been sorted out by now.... Goodluck mate, hope it helps.