Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Nitto INVO vs Michelin PSS... feedback needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Nitto INVO vs Michelin PSS... feedback needed!

Need some input on a nice all-around tire that offers great cornering performance, but also isn't scared of an occasional visit to the drag strip.

I'm currently running the BFG KDW and the grip was great (when new) but the noise is simply too much to bear now that they're aging. Not to mention, it's a heavy tire. I was able to cut repeated 1.8s 60' times with the BFG tires... would like something as sticky but less noisy. Both the PSS and the INVO list quiet operation and high grip as their strengths.

I know the PSS is the obvious choice with no consideration to budget, but does the INVO offer a decent compromise? Anyone here visited the strip with the INVO?

Thanks for any feedback,

John
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I just replaced the Nitto Invo's on my '05 E55 with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and after only a few hundred miles find them to be a substantial improvement to the Invo's. I found the Invo's to be a bit noisy when I got the car 2 years ago, and they simply got progressively worse over the 12k miles I put on them. Got to the point where I couldn't stand them anymore, and even though they had enough treadlife to make it through this season, I had them replaced. Car seems to handle and corner much better on the Michelin's than the Invo's too. Was actually planning on the PS2's, but the need for new motor mounts and replacement of idler and tensioner pulley's forced me to make a concession to the Super Sports. If you can afford it, I'd do the PS2's.

Whatever you decide, make sure whomever mounts and balances your new tires pays attention to all the little details. When they prepped my wheels for the wheel weight tape, they didn't properly rinse and wipe down the front side of the rims afterward, and I now have some pretty bad stains from the runoff. The prep solution seems to have etched the grime and brake dust into the surface of the wheels. It had it back yesterday and they attempted to polish the stains out, with very limited success. The offending shop has now offered to repaint them, but I'm not too thrilled with that prospect.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM

SRT-6
Thanks for the feedback. I'm shocked to hear that the INVO is noisier... I was always under the impression that quiet operation was a strength.

How is the grip between the two?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Kreuzfeuer
Thanks for the feedback. I'm shocked to hear that the INVO is noisier... I was always under the impression that quiet operation was a strength.

How is the grip between the two?

The INVO's had about 10K miles on them when I got the car, so I am comparing them from that point to new Michelin's. Read a number of reviews on the Michelin's, and either the PSS's or PS2's seemed to score exceptionally well from a noise standpoint, and my initial impression agrees with that.

I also like the grip much better with the Michelin's. The INVO's always left me with an feeling of understeer, particularly when aggressively cornering through a roundabout or rotary. That feeling is non-existent with the new Michelin's. On the INVO's, the grip seemed to fade coming out of the apex and the car really pushed. Now, I can bust through the same roundabout at least 10 to 15MPH quicker, and the car feels like its on a rail. Straight line acceleration feels like a bit better too.

Already scheduled to have it Eurocharged next month and can't wait to see how it feels then!!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM

SRT-6
Good feedback, thanks. I've heard other people mention the mushy sidewall... This would lead to the "push" feeling.

Originally Posted by caymus4907
Already scheduled to have it Eurocharged next month and can't wait to see how it feels then!!
You won't be disappointed!