Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

CLS63 tires - summer or all season Michelins?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLS63 AMG
CLS63 tires - summer or all season Michelins?

It's time for new tires on my 2008 CLS63 AMG. I live in Atlanta and we get a little snow and sleet, but not much - and if it snows, the AMG does not leave the garage!

According to the Michelin web site, the only tires they currently make that fit are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (all season). The Pilot Sport A/S 3's seem to have good reviews and a 45k mile warranty.

My other options for summer tires are the P Zero's and the Bridgestone Pretenza.

What level of performance would I give up going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 over the summers tires?

I am a spirited driver and use the AMG HP most every time I drive, but I'm not racing the car. I'm not concerned about the cost, but if I can get a lot more miles of my top shelf tires while not sacrificing meaningful handling, I would make that trade off.

Any other suggestions for tires for my CLSS63 appreciated as well. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 AM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Anyone?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:13 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
interesting question ... The PSAS3 is a great performing all season tire. In some cases it even can win in some controlled comparisons against summer tires. In reality, where the rubber hits the road, The amount of true performance you would be sacrificing with them on your CLS will be very noticeable. I was able to take a set of the PSAS3's to a 2 mile, 11 turn road course just last Friday and came away with the impression that while a great performer in the AS tire world I want my summer performance tires back on the car.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 PM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
interesting question ... The PSAS3 is a great performing all season tire. In some cases it even can win in some controlled comparisons against summer tires. In reality, where the rubber hits the road, The amount of true performance you would be sacrificing with them on your CLS will be very noticeable. I was able to take a set of the PSAS3's to a 2 mile, 11 turn road course just last Friday and came away with the impression that while a great performer in the AS tire world I want my summer performance tires back on the car.

Thanks for the reply Luke.

So looking at TR, my other higher-end alternatives for a staggered set are:

* Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
* Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (cheaper than the REO50A but has great reviews)
*Continental ContiSportContact 5P
Pirelli P Zero
Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105

If it was your AMG, which would you choose? Thanks!!
Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S Coupe 2017
I don't think you'll be happy with all season tires in the summer. They are softer (in order to offer some grip on snow/ice) and as a result they wear out much faster in the summer and you'll have worse traction on asphalt during normal temps.

I bought snow tires and dedicated wheels, it ended up costing about $3k.

Driving with the OEM summer tires in the winter is not an option as you've already discovered. They are simply not made for cold temps and they are completely useless on snow and ice.