Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Road trip worthy or need to replace tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Road trip worthy or need to replace tire?

Hello all,
I'm planning a roadtrip cross the Mojave from LA to Santa Fe NM at the end of the month. Lately, I had a bad run-in with a kerb and my tire's had a thin 2" long strip of sidewall shaved off (hanging by a thread - see pic) and I'm curious whether this is something crucial that'll call for replacing the tire before hitting the road, or whether this isn't a big deal. I've been commuting with the tire in this shape for a few months now but my commute isn't across the Mojave in late July / early August... I'd love to delay the $500 or thereabouts cost of the damned replacement rubber at this time.

The photo shows the shaved portion of the tire and the strip of shaved rubber, which is still attached.

The car is a 2009 SL63 Silver Arrow w/ Performance Package and all the other options but for distronic. It's one expensive but oh so torrid love affair!

I would appreciate any insight!
Attached Thumbnails Road trip worthy or need to replace tire?-tire.jpg  
Old 07-23-2014, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Dont think its structural, however before a long trip I would replace it!! but thats just me.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C320 Sedan, '04 SAAB 9-3 Cabrio
Why take a chance? I would replace it. There are too many bad things that can happen.