Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

alignment questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 CLS 350 CDI Coupe
alignment questions

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the geometry of our Mecs, more specifically cars form 2000+ onwards.

As most of you already know, cars that were produced post 2000, only had the ability of adjusting the front and rear 'toe'. The only remedy of rectifying front camber/caster settings was to purchase camber/caster bolts to allow for these settings to be adjusted.

Now, regarding the rear camber - there appears to be no such bolts from Mercedes to adjust any offset? So therefore here are my questions:

1. When manufacturing these cars - how do they align the rear or front the first place?

2. If misalignment happens (excluding hitting anything that would compromise the geometry), are they the results from warn bushings? If so, would new bushings 'realign' the rear camber? I.e. if they naturally drift from the specs?

3. Is there any tricks from stock steup to tweak the rear without resorting to aftermarket camber control arms?

4. Finally, what are my options to have adjustable rear camber - AS mentioned above, I can get control camber arms, but are there anything more subtle? I ask because I own a 2011 CLS which is financed. I would like something less conspicuous to not readily flag up the modification from a routine inspection?

Any opinions are most welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MANY
Rear camber is not adjustable, unless you can find an adjustable link for the rear suspension. They do exist. I've seen em for almost every MB. I've personally aligned hundreds of MB and have seen rear camber out of spec but rarely cause a problem unless out of spec by more than 30 minutes.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
Smile

[QUOTE=bio10155;6124483]Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the geometry of our Mecs, more specifically cars form 2000+ onwards.

As most of you already know, cars that were produced post 2000, only had the ability of adjusting the front and rear 'toe'. The only remedy of rectifying front camber/caster settings was to purchase camber/caster bolts to allow for these settings to be adjusted.

Now, regarding the rear camber - there appears to be no such bolts from Mercedes to adjust any offset? So therefore here are my questions:

1. When manufacturing these cars - how do they align the rear or front the first place?

2. If misalignment happens (excluding hitting anything that would compromise the geometry), are they the results from warn bushings? If so, would new bushings 'realign' the rear camber? I.e. if they naturally drift from the specs?

3. Is there any tricks from stock steup to tweak the rear without resorting to aftermarket camber control arms?

4. Finally, what are my options to have adjustable rear camber - AS mentioned above, I can get control camber arms, but are there anything more subtle? I ask because I own a 2011 CLS which is financed. I would like something less conspicuous to not readily flag up the modification from a routine inspection?

Any opinions are most welcomed.

Thanks.[/QU

google kmac suspension