Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

CLS 55 AMG front upper wishbone change (transverse control arm)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 55 AMG
CLS 55 AMG front upper wishbone change (transverse control arm)

Thought I would just let you all know the problems that I encountered while changing the right hand front upper wishbone on a right hand drive car. I am a commissioning engineer by trade with nearly 40 years experience to call upon. I have also accumulated a vast selection of tools and anything else that I need I can normally beg steal or borrow
1) the job looks easy enough, break the upper ball joint, and undo two bolts and disconnect ride height sensor bracket - wrong!
2) ball joint can either be split or undone on the three nuts/bolts which is easy enough and so is the removal of the ride height sensor
3) then fun then begins. Forward most wishbone nut (in engine bay) is easy to get to and so is the head of the bolt. Once this is undone you then find that you cannot withdraw the bolt as it catches on the air strut.
4) simple, remove the strut- wrong! Undo top three nuts, air pipe and plug, and undo nut/bolt onto lower control arm. Then hunt the plug to disconnect the wiring harness. This is found by removing the front half of the wheel arch liner.
5) once unplugged the strut then can be removed revealing the two wishbones bolt heads.
6) pull out forward most bolt, which you have already slackened
7) then just undo the aft bolt - wrong
8) aft nut is in the engine bay and you can just see it between the wires from the fuse box and the pipes from the master cylinder. You cannot even touch it.
9) I had to tape a 15mm combo to a piece of bar and with the help of a very bright torch jiggle it thought the pipe work onto the nut.
10) then the bolt can be undone from the wheel arch and pulled out, leaving the nut and washer to fall into the engine bay and to be recovered with the aid of a long magnet.
11) replacement is a reversal of the removal procedure, or this is what the manuals normally say- wrong
12) how are you going to get the aft most nut through the wiring and brake pipes and anywhere near the bolt through the wishbone?
13) here's how, first superglue the washer to the nut so that you only have one piece to worry about and let it dry.
14) then for the clever bit, get a long tywrap and put around the nut. This then allows you to lower in to position and using the bit of bar hold it against the end of the wishbone bolt and screw the bolt in from the wheel arch. Took me two attempts but I was working on my own.
15) once caught using a long screw driver the tywrap can be flipped off and the spanner previously taped to the bar used to tighten it fully.
16) the rest is now straight forward, but I would not recommend attempting this job unless you have plenty of time, some super glue, a tywrap and plenty of patience

Hope this helps someone