Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Conty tire choice - PureContact vs DWS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Conty tire choice - PureContact vs DWS

Luke@TireRack - I need your help picking my next set of A/S tires. In short, are your survey ratings comparable between tire categories? For example, can I compare Grand Touring A/S to High Perf A/S?

If you can't compare ratings from one tire category to another, why not? Seems a respondent would rate tires for quietness, snow, tire wear, etc in a similar manner regardless of the category it was assigned.

The reason I ask is because the "Grand Touring" Conty PureContact scores every bit as good in the dry as the "High Perf" Conty DWS, but does better in the snow. If the survey ratings are indeed comparable, why would anyone get the more expensive DWS over the less expensive and better performing PureContact?!

1. Conty ExtremeContact DWS
2. Conty PureContact w/Eco Tech

* I've discounted the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 due to its lower snow survey ratings on your site.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F-350, 1999 E55 AMG, AMG Orphans Club International Member #118
If you drive in real winter conditions, go with the DWS. No personal experience with the PureContact, but the DWS on the AMG feel like my kevlar Wranglers on the F350.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:49 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
I agree the DWS gets rave reviews here and in many other forums, by the PureContact rates higher in the snow and every bit as good in the dry. Not to mention the PureContact has a higher tread wear rating.

I'm torn.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:32 AM

2002 F-350, 1999 E55 AMG, AMG Orphans Club International Member #118
Well, maybe Luke will chime in.
Do you know where there is a good pic of the tread on the PureContact?
Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
interesting question ...

our test results and surveys cannot be intermingled between tire categories.

The two Conti tires you have mentioned, while both are very good tires, they are quite different in design, rubber compound and intended use.

The Pure contact offers very low road noise, as do most "touring" tires along with low rolling resistance rubber compound and long wear. They are respectable in the snow when compared to other "touring" tires.

The Extreme Contact DWS is, simply put, the best all season tire we have ever tested in the snow. By design it will offer a higher level of performance than can be found in a touring tire but, it also offers more road noise and shorter tread life.

If you are looking for a winter capable tire but, want a smooth, quiet and comfortable ride the Pure Contact would be the proper choice.

I you are an aggressive driver who sees corners as driving entertainment then the DWS is the correct choice.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
Good stuff, Luke.

Help me understand why the ratings aren't comparable between tire categories. If I were rating two different tires, I don't think I'd rate them on different scales. If one was better at something than another, it'd get a higher score. What am I missing?

Thanks! Here's to an early spring (driving in snow sucks!)
Old 02-22-2015, 08:47 AM

E350; GLK 350 4MATIC
The DWS, without hesitation.