Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Winter tires for C300

Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes C300
Winter tires for C300

I am trying to decide on winter tire options for my new 2013 C300 4Matic and was hoping for some advice. I wanted to go with Michelin Xi3's and was going to get a second set of rims but have some questions. It's usually recommended to get steel rims for winter tires, and I was thinking of downsizing to 16" but am not sure if that will cause problems. Otherwise with the cost of 17" alloy rims plus new TPMS sensors I am tempted to just go with Nokian WRG3's all year round. I know they won't perform as well on ice but should be a big improvement over the stock Continental contiprocontact tires.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:55 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
a dedicated winter tire will offer the most winter grip ... there is no replacement

and the Michelin X-Ice XI3 is a very good winter tire

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 02-12-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
Can you even get steelies? I know it wasn't an option for my c350, but I have larger front brakes. I have the continental extreme winter contact on mine and its been great. As for wheel size- usually you go 16" so you can put on a narrower tire. Winter tires are a little squirmy though, so I stayed at 17" to keep shorter sidewalls and retain more road feel. You don't really need the TPMS on alloys either if you're willing to put up with an error message all winter.