Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Yet another E320 4matic wagon question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320 wagon
Yet another E320 4matic wagon question.

Hello all, I have a question that might become 'some questions' so here it goes. I bought a used 1999 E320 4matic wagon with 130k miles on it, private sale. Rode like a dream, but a bit wallowy. The back end sit lower than the front and sometimes, I can hear the springs twang or creak in the back. It isn't constant at all but rather random. I am hesitant to do much of anything without some insight as I have found from my current research that this thing has a hydraulic system that is unlike most anything else.

So far I have only topped off the Hydraulic reservoir which was a bit low. I went to my local dealer and got the correct fluid for my car, took the number right off the cover on my car. Driving it today, it feels a little less wollowy to me, less roll around corners and it's never felt hard to me. But then, I have a Subaru Outback for comparison, so I don't know it that helps or hurts. Alfred (Yes, he has a name. Mercedes seem to need names) feels much smoother than the Subaru. But the back end is still low. I had planned to check the accumulators as soon as it's warm enough to actually be outside without freezing to death, but I have to wonder if maybe the springs are the issue?

There has been no loss of fluid since I topped it off, no leaking that I can see under the car. The ride feels like a cloud to me and anything else I get into feels like a box of rocks now. Any ideas? And yes, I can take pictures if desired.