Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Another Forgestar Cracked Wheel Story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Another Forgestar Cracked Wheel Story

One out of a set of Forgestar F14s that I bought when first released. It developed two 1" long cracks on the inside lip of the barrel about 10" apart.

My right front tire started losing air. I figured I must have punctured it and took the wheel and tire into the local shop. They found that the tire was fine but the wheel had the two cracks.

Forgestar nominally provides a lifetime structural warranty to the original owner. I'm the original owner but the warranty isn't helpful because the damage was determined to be caused by the road surface, not a structural defect.

Now I get that poor roads can damage wheels and tires. As chance would have it, I also recently damaged an HRE wheel. (Same car, two wheelsets with different tires.)

With the HRE wheel, both the wheel and tire were damaged. And I knew right away I hit something. With the Forgestar wheel I didn't hit anything other than ordinary road and the tire is perfectly fine.

I'll pay to get the HRE wheel repaired but will be scrapping the Forgestars. No way will I drive on wheels that can crack without me knowing it.

Your mileage may vary, as the saying goes.

Last edited by jmf003; 06-14-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Improve clarity.