Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Rotor, hub, drum (back plate?) Ignorance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes C250 Sport (my girls' ride), I drive a BMW M3 and Durango
Rotor, hub, drum (back plate?) Ignorance

So, I recently did a wheel stud conversion on my BMW M3 so I could put on some nice open end lug nuts. (see pic)

Cuz I'm such a nice guy I figured I do it for my girl who recently got a 2013 C250 Sport edition. So, it has the 18 or 19" AMG black and silver rims.

So I got the studs from eBaby which converts from 14x1.5 to 12x1.5. Used blue loctite and every came together nicely. (see pic). However, when I went to test drive the right passenger wheel was making odd clicking noises. So I pulled the lugs and I may have over-torqued then and the tips were damaged. So, I put the stock lug bolts back on, contacted the seller and got some new studs and lug nuts (for free as I sent them pics).

So this past weekend I had the new parts and gave it another whirl. Same outcome. However, we made matters worse is that 2 or the five studs would not come off and the hex driver (which was the right size) ended up getting stripped. I got one off using vice grips but could not get the last one out. Tried everything even an repair drill and easy out. So, I put the other 4 stock lug bolts back on with that 5th stripped on still threaded in.

Now, my real question is, what am I looking at when I look at the different parts associated with the wheel, brakes, etc. I know what the rotors and calipers are but I don't know what the back or spacer plate is or even if that what it is called. Short term I'm going to try to get that last stud out and the last OEM lug bolt back on so the clicking noise stops. Don't want my girl driving with it making that noise. I'm attaching a few pics for your reference but if someone could point out what the various parts are that make up the full assembly (rotors, drum? hub? spacer plate??? I want to order new something and try again I"m just not sure what to buy.

Please help and thanks in advance for your help in trying to help me sort this out!

No good deed goes unpunished!