Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Rear Suspension Creaking l/h/s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Cabriolet 200K Automatic W208
Rear Suspension Creaking l/h/s

I have had this problem for a few months and it is gradually getting worse. There is no noise when the car is cold or it is a cool day, but here in Italy daytime temperatures have been running at 33c to 37c. Today is 28c and the problem is very apparent.

The rear suspension on the l/h/s is creaking badly. It has been into the Mercedes dealership in Treviso for two days this week, they lubed up the bushes and checked the suspension over, but nothing was apparent. They also gave the folding roof a proper procedure for servicing just in case and checked its mounting bolts. I have never had the roof serviced like this and did not realise it is not part of the normal MB service schedule. It folds much better now, smoother and quieter so it was worth doing for a total bill of €77.

However after a good drive around in the heat today, the creaking is as bad as ever. So straight back to the dealer and it was put up on a ramp with a mechanic sitting on the lip of the boot to bounce the rear end.

The springs look in remarkably good condition for a car that is 14 years old, plus the other components looked fine. But the problem appears to be the cup at the top of the spring. There is the possibilty the l/h/s spring could be broken near the top.

Clearly this looks like a big job dropping the axle and suspension to get to these cups, so the question is at this time is there anything I should also change whilst the suspension is taken apart? Is there for instance a renovation kit that Mercedes offer to overhaul the back end, or what should I ask the garage to order to do the same job? I don't want any further problems if possible, so would rather spend more now than have to take it back within the next few years for something else associated with the rear suspension. For instance should I bite the bullet and replace the springs and shocks as well?

Cheers

Last edited by Msr Mercedes; 08-20-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Cabriolet 200K Automatic W208
Just to add, after all this work to the rear end, I guess the car has to have a proper four wheel alignment check?