Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Run Flats Gotta Go !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Run Flats Gotta Go !

It's time for me to think about replacing the 19" run flat tires on my 2015 S550 and I really want to get back to more conventional tires. The question is, without having a spare (or even the location for a spare!), what should I do to be prepared for a flat situation? Does the Continental Conticomfortkit adequately work for flat repair? Should I buy a Mercedes emergency spare from the prior S-Class model (W221) and just place in in my trunk and just lose the trunk space? I also want to get a set of 20" tires and wheels for next summer, so these run flats really have me frustrated about how to cover myself for a potential flat tire. Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E550 Cabriolet, 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
I felt your pain on a 2009 BMW 535i with sport package. It came with a set of rock hard Dunlop Sports run flats, noisy, poor traction even in dry conditions and they were a summer compound. They only lasted 25k miles, and replaced them with a good set of Michelins. Huge difference in ride quality with a small loss in high speed stability. I had a temp spare in the BMW so swapping to conventional tires was a no brainer.

Not sure I would drive any car without a spare. Suggest you stay with the run flats or add a temp spare.