Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

weird front body roll issue with my CLS55, please help

Old 10-20-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
06cls
weird front body roll issue with my CLS55, please help

so i have a 06 cls 55, with airmatic, 3/4 " lowered with star, new lower ball joints, new wheels and tires, road force balanced.

my car has been suffering from massive body roll it feels like when on the highway or at highway speeds, the faster you go the worse it gets, sport 1, 2 or comfort do not change anything either.

make a long story short if i hit a dip in the road, uneven pavement, while un heavy acceleration or just going around a corner, the car starts to sway back and fourth, sometimes pretty bad until i get off throttle. i can also mimic this by jerking my steering wheel left to right. these people seem to be experiencing the same thing but i already have sway bars.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...sway-bars.html

with this said, i plan on doing inner and outer tie rods, upper ball joints, the other lower ball joints, , sway bar link/ ball joints, and replace rear camber arms with upd kit.

Also i noticed that when im driving and one wheel goes over uneven pavement seems like both wheels are doing there own thing, like one wheel is maintaining the path its on but the one which is on raised pavement or whatever is moving ever so slightly towards that part of the pavement, and the steering wheel kinda shimmys back and fourth ever so slightly as if it wasnt sure which part of the pavement to react to. Almost as if one the rack and pinion wasnt keeping pressure on both sides?

i dont know, basically im not sure if this is tie rods, rack and pinion, ball joint,
airmatic strut failing, or sway bar links.

All i know is that when i have the car on the lift i cant find any play at 12 to 6 or 9-3. on the ground all 4 corners of the car seem to compress the same exact way when i push down on the fenders/quarter panels.

other wise the cars suspension absorbs the imperfections perfectly, bumps dips etc, love the way the car drives and feels ,its just when i am hitting dips in the road, bumps, at highway speeds, or at WOT when the car starts to act like a boat and sway back and fourth up front.

Sorry for the long thread just trying to be thorough, and hopefully finally find a solution.