Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Excessive brake pedal travel only when driving vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 250D (W124)
Question Excessive brake pedal travel only when driving vehicle

Hi everybody,
I own aMercedes Benz 250 D (W124) from '89. I have a brake problem, that, to me, makesno sense at all. When vehicle is stopped, engine off, the brake Worksperfectly. Firm, and clamps Wheels as it should. But when driving a shortdistance, the brake pedal moves almost to the floor, and braking is not verygood. The ABS amber light comes on. There are no leaks anywhere. The fluid hasbeen topped of, also before this problem occurred. No Work has been done thatcould cause this. All discs and brake pads are in good condition. I have triedto unplug the ABS hydraulic unit, but no change. I should note, that the righthand forward ABS pickup is damage, but nut disintegrated, and has been detachedmechanically, not electrically. This is why I tried to unplug the ABS unit. Thedamage was caused by a failing Wheel bearing, causing the hub to moveexcessively, and consequently damaging the pickup. Both the bearing failure,and the brake problem occurred at the same time, but I don’t se any link.

Last edited by timo@nellemose.; 03-06-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like you have issues with the brake system--simply get your pulse counter and do a blink test and post the number of blinks for the brake pin!!

If you don't know this then visit someone who does--if you don't have the tools this is not a cheap DIY!!