Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Strange Airmatic problem on 2007 E class wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E320 cdi, Defender and Audi A3
Strange Airmatic problem on 2007 E class wagon

Hi Guys,

I'm new on the forum and would appreciate a few pointers as to where to start to diagnose and repair a current fault on my beloved wagon.

The rear end of my wagon has its suspension jacked right up to it's highest position and will not go back down. It only has Airmatic on the rear of the car. It has been like this for a week and is undrivable. There are obviously no leakage problems. It did it as I was driving, and has a message on the dashboard stating that the car needs to be stopped as it is too low!

The car only has 48,000 miles on it and is otherwise 100%. It does not have a raise or lower button for the suspension to fiddle with.

I am presuming from a look on this forum and elsewhere that it could be stiff linkage arms, a knackered relay, or an accelerometer issue.

I'm presuming that my taking a dip in the road too fast and compressing the suspension might have sent an incorrect message to the computer telling it that the car required raising?

Is there any way of letting some air out without damaging pipework to see if the suspension resets itself to the normal ride height?

Although I'm competent at pure mechanical issues, I'm a dodo on electrics. However I would really appreciate any very basic pointers that might be worth an initial look as my nearest competent garage is over 50 miles away and I do not fancy trailering the beast there.

Any help much appreciated!

Last edited by Oldboy; 04-05-2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Extra information