Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

w219 cls 55 weird alignment or suspension issue.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
06cls
w219 cls 55 weird alignment or suspension issue.

checked my airmatics with star everything checks out fine no faults, replaced rear shocks, and both front airmatic struts with used very low mile ones. ( blew front drivers so bought a entire set for spares)

Car is lowered with STAR about 1" front and rear did not have this issue for the first few months being lowered either..

i have replaced all inner outer tie rods, wurth oil on sway bar bushings as well as new links, all bushings and ball joints in the front replaced with oem. then had townfair tire do a alignment and rotate then mount and balance my newer front tires to see if my weird issue has resolved it self but it has not.

my MAIN issue, under hard acceleration or around a corner or switching lanes quickly the car starts to sway back and fourth like a boat and need to get off the throttle to have it settle it self.
i can almost replicate this by jerking the wheel slightly at highway speeds. cant tell if its the front or rear causing the body roll/boat sway feeling. this is not all the time either, from a stop , roll, and on highway car goes straight under hard acceleration, its only when i turn quickly, or hit a dip in the road etc.

i want to say this problem started when i replaced the front drivers airmatic strut with a used one, but when driving around normally on slower roads, that are rough/bumpy/ etc cars drives great, absorbs bumps , imperfections.

A few smaller issues i have ( trying to be thorough about my issue.)

2nd) i still have a small steering wheel shimmy in the front when i go over a bump or uneven pavement with either tire, this is a small issue im nit picking at.

lastly) right rear seems jerk when you hit a bump, pot hole, etc, feels like something is loose or alignment is still off ? hence why i replaced both shock absorbers thinking RR was leaking. but after installing 2 good ones still have same issue. did teh 3-9/12-6 wheel test for play everything seems ok, een used a pry bar to see if there is something loose and cannot find anything wrong. subframe bushings look nice and tight too, and in tact.

with this said im running out of ideas and parts to replace, and really dont want to bring the car to the stealer to get diagnosed. ...... do i look for another strut ?

Last edited by 06cls55amg; 04-28-2016 at 03:19 PM.