Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

C450 Winter tires : to runflat or not to runflat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:46 AM
SV-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything SV
C450 Winter tires : to runflat or not to runflat?

Hi all,

Had the C450 for 4 months now and already three (yes, 3) bubbles on the front tires. Thank God for Pirelli's road hazard warranty which covers that. My previous F30 335i came with 19" runflat and only 2 bubbles in 3 years... I don't know what's wrong with the C450 wheels/tires, but I hate runflats now (and no it's not potholes, we drive very carefully).

Now it's time to buy winter tires (mandatory here in Montreal) and I have 3 options. On one hand the car is a 2-year lease, so we only have 2 winters to get through. However my wife drives 2500km a month, mostly highways, so money saving isn't the only issue here. For the record we've had good experience with Bridgestone's LM-60 and WS-80 on our respective cars in the past.

Option #1 : Keep stock 19" AMG rims and get non-runflat tires (with slime or spare tire repair-kit in the trunk) but the choice is pretty limited.
Option #2 : keep stock 19" AMG rims and get runflat tires
Option #3 : buy 18" wheels and tires (non-runflat)

Now I know for highway driving the safest thing is to have runflats, however given that the first 4 months have been disastrous for the stock tires, I'm starting to think maybe non-runflats would have less chances of bubbles, so less risk of tire exploding

Opinions? Thoughts?

Last edited by SV-; 10-06-2016 at 12:15 PM.