Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Brakes make a crunching? noise.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Brakes make a crunching? noise.

I recently was given some new pads after receiving some defective pads online(these defective pads worked fine for about 2 months then started squealing). I decided to just go all oem front and back. Ever since I put these new pads on they have been making what I can only describe as a quick crunching noise (like the sound sticks make when you break em). It only seems to do this either on an incline or a decline. I live on a hill so it does this leaving home and coming back home. And it only makes this noise at the very end of the breaking, right when the car has come to a complete stop for about less than a second. I took it to pep boys and they said that my front rotors had some scoring lines on them and that I needed new ones and that was the cause of the noise. Now I know the rotors aren't brand new but they have plenty of thickness to them and theres no lip, also the car has never made this noise before installing these brakes. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Is it possibly a break in process of new oem pads? The fronts are oem brembo (I guess mercedes uses brembo now) so I don't know if that may have something to do with it.. Anyway sorry about the book thanks for any info.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Pull the wheels and look at the rotors---wada they look like!!
Old 10-31-2016, 02:01 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Pull the wheels and look at the rotors---wada they look like!!
They look fine to me but i'm no expert I looked at the same time as the guy from pep boys who did the inspection did. Most rotors I see have some lines on them even my new rotors on the back of the car do doesn't this just happen naturally after braking a few time?. But why would this noise begin right after putting new pads on the car if it was an issue of the rotors?

Here are some pictures of the front and rear rotor.. I inspected again the front is a little more apparent than the rear, with some very light unevenness on the front rotor (very feint to the touch).

The first picture is the front the second is the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Brakes make a crunching? noise.-img_0223.jpg   Brakes make a crunching? noise.-img_0224.jpg  

Last edited by Dnasty; 10-31-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:04 AM

2010 e550 coupe
I put new rotors on and the noise remains. I am also now getting an occasional brake squeal. It's so frustrating dealing with brake noise issues. No mechanic wants to deal with it they only know how to apply brand new pads and rotors as the answer to everything. I am wondering if it could have anything to do with the front pads being brembo I've never had a set of oem brembo pads from Mercedes are they a new supplier? The rears are jurid and seem to be fine. Also I had four ate ceramics all around prior to this that lasted about three months before they started squealing I exchanged them for these pads thinking they may have been defective. But could this be a more serious issue like my abs or my calipers or something?