Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Alternator failing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c320
Alternator failing

Hi guys,

I have a 2002 C320. I recently had some troubles with my alternator after putting new brakes in, did this myself. I think I did them wrong because the sensor was not showing I have new pads. A couple days after doing the brakes I got the Alternator/Battery visit shop and then came the battery undervoltage consumer defect display as well. I replaced my battery and than replaced my alternator. For awhile this worked and I did not have an issue until about a week ago when I applied the brakes at a stop light I received the Alternator/Battery visit workshop display again on my dashboard. It went away and came back only when I was applying the brakes just for that night. When I turned the car on the next morning it was there but then disappeared after driving for a couple minutes. Fast forward to yesterday and it has been on ever since. My question, can the brake sensor, if not positioned correctly underneath the brake pad, cause the alternator to fail? Should I check to see if there is a fuse that has blown? I will be taking the alternator out and back to the store I got it for an exchange but I am wondering if I should try taking the sensor completely out of the car, I do not really need this sensor as I can usually feel and hear when the brakes need changing. Any help would be great!
Old 12-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Absolutely Not!!---you have whats called sympathetic psychosis!!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:26 PM

2002 c320
Would you be able to elaborate a little more on what could be going on than? I just think this is a little to obvious, brake pads put in wrong and now alternator is not charging, new battery and alternator and still malfunctioning but only started once I applied the brakes. Couldn't the brake pad sensor short circuit alternator when it is not properly put underneath the actual pad?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
I am having much difficulty in explaining something so basic that I do not know where to begin----however you do the work and read\search alternator function; then read\search brake pad ware sensor function---then reformulate your hypothisis!!
Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 PM

2002 c320
Okay, take the brake pad issue out of the equation and we are left with a failing alternator 2 times. What do you propose I replace next, how do I diagnose this failing alternator? I would rather not go to a mechanic shop as this would cost a lot more money than to just replace the part myself. I have changed both the battery and the alternator.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Ithink you have missed the point----as an example if you came to my shop,I'd listen to all your mumbo jumbo and then all I would say is "I don't guess"---I have a factory diagnostic system that is my bible that produces a quick test that tells me what is faulty---I charge for that------that is what I am telling you, then if you say no, not a problem--goodby!!----take your chances elsewhere

FYI you don't have the alternator testing equipment to determine if the alternator is the issue!!