Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Updating/modernizing old wheels!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1998 MB E430
Updating/modernizing old wheels!

So these wheels were in decent shape just a bit faded and curb rashed. 98 E430 16X7.5.
My son was looking for a new set of wheels, but the price for 4 and then registering the car along with insurance and intermittent part time job squashed those dreams.
So he asked about painting them black. I really hate the all black look and can't wait till that fad is done!
Here is what I came up with instead. Leave the outside lip silver and paint the face gloss black. I cleaned up the curb rash with a small DA and then polished those areas, you have to look really close to tell. There are some imperfections but for $0 they are perfect! I had 20 of the proper length chrome lugnuts at work so we will use those and then he found some nice black/chrome center caps to finish it off. They came out better than I expected. Even my son likes them better than some of the aftermarket wheels he looked at.

Updating/modernizing old wheels!-img_2387_zpscwctzukn.jpg

Updating/modernizing old wheels!-img_2388_zpsyodybw4m.jpg

Updating/modernizing old wheels!-img_2389_zpsy8fju7pg.png

Car should be ready to go by next weekend.