Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Clk's Have Uneven Tire Wear

Old 07-24-2004, 03:42 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Exclamation Clk's Have Uneven Tire Wear

Well my 8,000 mile 2004 CLK 500 has excessive wear on the outer edges of front tires, the backs have excessive wear on the centers. I followed MB recommendations of 30 front and 32 rear cold pressures. I'm now forced to have more pressure in the front vs less in the back totally against what is recommended by MB. I do not corner hard or spin the rears, ever.

I was on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach Fl today for lunch and there was 5 CLK's, w208's and 9's. Every car had excessive outer edge wear on the front tires! From what I could see the backs had excessive center wear too. What's going on here. I know about the alignment issue which I had corrected but something is wrong here.

I also saw a Dodge Viper GTS coupe with about 7000 miles on it and it had Michelin Pilot's too but the tires were worn evenly even in the front! I have a collegue that has an 04 SL500 sport with Pilots and his tires are wearing perfectly even with 9500 miles, he did return his car back to the dealer when brand new for alignment 3 times until he was satisfied with the pulling issues. Since I've had mine done at 3000 miles the wear has continued to get worse in the front and I convinced the backs are worn in the center from too damn much air, thanks MB!!

I was amazed to see all the CLKs today that have the same issue. Tires for these cars are not cheap and it seems MB's recommendations are not appropriate for even tire wear.

Suggestions, experiences and comments are most welcome.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't think its the clk's only that have this problem.

My c32 has the same problem and that is because of the total lack of negative camber up front.

Browse the C32 forums this topic has been discussed extensivley.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:05 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
all of the 170, 203, 208 and 209 chassis cars are camber limited which does cause the front tires to wear the outside edge of their tires and the MB recommended air pressure is not to maximize tire life but, to compormise between handling and ride quality .... 36 front and 30 rear will offer much better handling but, less cushy ride