MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   190E (W201) (https://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201-60/)
-   -   im looking into a 190e 2.6 suggestions (https://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201/121091-im-looking-into-190e-2-6-suggestions.html)

jake123 09-22-2005 11:59 PM

im looking into a 190e 2.6 suggestions

So i talked my dad into buying me an old mercedes, and i was looking at the 190e 2.6l. i read that it is an I6 and was just wondering how it worked out performance wise compared to the bmw I6... Also, i emagine i can pile on the miles on a mercedes motor, however how much life should i expect to get out of it? everything i see has like 100thousand miles plus... ALSO anyone know approximatly what i should expect my gas mileage to be? any help you guys is like one step closer to me actually convicing my dad into this.... PLeASe HeLP Me OUT I DONT WANNA DRIVe A MINI VAN :-) peace

rammbs 09-23-2005 02:34 PM

check out www.190revolution.net

you will find lots of info there.

davis449 09-23-2005 03:02 PM

Not that I have anything against the 190E, I actually kinda like it, but I would take a harder look at an e36 (92-98/99) BMW 3 series over the 190E. If your hell bent on getting an older Mercedes, look at the W202 C-class 94-96 models. I don't know what your price range is, so I can't make a really good recommendation. More info.

Justinius7 09-23-2005 03:20 PM

personally... I love the 190e...

AS for power, i would imagine the BMW is quicker. If you get the auto 2.6, be prepared to go no where off the line. The car starts in second gear everytime, then after it realizes that you are in a hurry, it will shift from 2nd to first. after the guy next to you is on the otherside of the intersection.

NOW get her on the freeway, totally different story. The 2.6 revv's very high (in my opinion) so a little press on the pedal and you'll instantly speed off to speeds well over 90 with out any strugle... FLOOR IT, and your drop into 3rd, and hit redline almost immediatly, then a nice nudge into 4th... and you'll actually kick ass in a high speed race. (the 2.6 definatly will make up on the high end what you lost off the line)

Fuel economy.... well if your worried about fuel economy and having to run premium... Not the best car on the road, unless you keep the "economy guage, out of the red" I have noticed that i pull about 22 in the city, and the exact same on the freeway. ( i contribute that to traffic and being geared pretty low ) Stay under 70, and milage will probably get way better.

ALSO, if your trying to convince your parents... make note: its the same size as a older corolla or accord, and about the same price, BUT the 190 has many more options and is much safer. Feel the door dad, its prety heavy, and listen to that famous benz "click" as it shuts.

Benz Lover 09-23-2005 03:22 PM

Good cars ... Ihave had mine for years now and just until last year(with basic maintenance and so forth) I never had any problems with mine...Actually I drive it every day...Its a ****** catching machine...and if your a girl ..then Itll help you look cool in front of your friends...Excuse my sharp sense of sarcasm...its friday afternoon and im at work typing a bunch of BS.

I have abuddy that has one a 1992 190e that has over 245,000 miles and still runs smooth with the exception of emissions failure but it doesnt matter cause hes an emission test giver so hew passes himself whenever....
I have had my 190e worked on ...brand spankin new tranny...new engine parts and upgrades...FLAWLESS interior.....the hawtness on the outside...color is a blueish/silver......
I suggest buying one...but then again im gonna have a colletion of these one day...Actually Im thinking about getting anew car soon ...maybe a BMW...now that I can afford one..
As always b4 making any purchase take it to a reputable mechanic and have it checked out...
Peace
:y

Pawsh 09-23-2005 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Justinius7
personally... I love the 190e...

AS for power, i would imagine the BMW is quicker. If you get the auto 2.6, be prepared to go no where off the line. The car starts in second gear everytime, then after it realizes that you are in a hurry, it will shift from 2nd to first. after the guy next to you is on the otherside of the intersection.

Later 190s had first gear start.

Justinius7 09-23-2005 04:13 PM

That would be a nice option!!!!

Also I forgot to mention reliablity. I've had miine for over 2 years now. Only problems so far... AIR PUMP (or SMOG PUMP) depending where you live. Okay, not a cheap fix... dealer item only. The berings went out in it (after i pressure washed the engine bay) $1100.oo for the pump, but found a place who would rebuild it incl labor for 400.

Also only other problem I have... Check engine light, comes on.. Nothing major, its my EGR valve, triggering it. Downfall, once the light comes on, it stays on. POSITIVE, disconnect the battery for a few seconds. Light goes off for the next month or so. (or until i drive 1 special hill, same down hill will set it off every time)

Other than those 2 things... 40,000 miles of reliablity and low maintenance.

jake123 09-23-2005 10:01 PM

hey thanks everyone for your input! i should let you know that the only car i have a chance at convincing my dad into is an old mercedes... so yuh.. hope to soon be joining all of you in 190 fashion :zoom:

w116fan 10-09-2005 04:54 PM

Oddly enough, i was just about to ask something like this. Im 16 and looking for an old mercedes under $2,000. I didnt expect to find many, but I have found a '79 w116 280SE, a '88 300E, and a 190E 2.6, all automatics. Sorry if im hijacking the thread, but does anyone know if anyone makes any performance parts for these cars? And if so, who? Im not so concerned about fuel economy (i'll just eat Easy Mac), but the lack of parts even for the 190E is quite discouraging. I have looked in the older posts, and found allot about the 2.5 and 2.3 but not much about the 2.6. Any info would help. I really want a Mercedes but at the same time i dont want to be beaten by minivans and rusty Chevy LUVs.

PERUNICA 11-04-2005 10:27 PM

The fact that mercedes and bmw are both german doesn't mean anything. If your looking for a car that will be reliable, then buy a car that has been maintained. no matter if it's a beemer or a mercedes. If your looking for performance for the money go with bmw, like a 325, or if your looking for something with nice ride and a bit more options then go with mercedes. The 190e 2.3 is four cylinders, the 190e 2.6 is six cylinders. The 318 is four cylinders and the 325 is six cylinders. Really think about what you want you might be really unhappy with what you get if you don't. :zoom: