190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Stalling + jumping oil pressure .. HELP please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stalling + jumping oil pressure .. HELP please

I am new to this forum .. so Hello to all of you....

Well I bought my first Mercedes - and it is 1992 190e 2.6 -.
It runs great and love the way it drives..

however like any used car it has some problems

the car has a periodic stalling problem especially if you are braking from around 45miles or higher for u turns , turns , braking for stop light

when the accelerator is pushed the oil pressure is at 3 and it runs great
however, when braking the oil pressure drops and the RPM needle hits zero and the car acts as if it is going to stop and then it kicks in and the RPM jumps back. Sometimes it will actually die during the turn .. i haven't noticed how the RPM reading and oil pressure reading to each other - when the car stops ... because i am too busy trying to make the turn with no power steering...

someone suggested I change the air inlet manifold with a card cleaner. I did clean it very well... i also noticed that the air filter was dirty and cleaned it - however did not replace it as i did not have a new one with me then..
I also replaced the oil filter( not a cheap one but a good one - cost me $18.00 +tax) and oil to Castrol SAE 20W-50.

After i did this car ran very smooth and the odd behavior did not show even when I forced it by braking hard.. oil pressure was at 3 and it did not fall immediately and the RPM did not go to zero but would fall to 700~750..

this was just 5 days back and now I am back to square one and today it stalled twice ..oil pressure drops to around 1 ( can't say for sure - i did not pay much attention) and RPM to 0 and then the engine kicks in..

I changed the fuel filter 2 months back because one day the car just idled rough and stopped in the middle - it would then crank but not start. 30mins later it just started. the mechanic i go to could not figure out and suggested to change the fuel filter...

I do not know how good the previous owner cared for it and I am sure he did not .. because when I got it oil was black..
Also I do not know about the status of the rotor and plugs and wires - they look okay to me.

Overall the car performs very well.. very quick response on acceleration and without hesitation.

I am baffled by this .. and I can't afford a big bill or an authorized MB showroom mechanic...

I really like my MB and admire for what it is and would really appreciate if someone could guide me in the right direction...

Last edited by StarGazer; 02-02-2006 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 02-03-2006, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Check all rubber vacuum connectors. Also under the air cleaner is the Idle Air Control Valve and it has large rubber hoses attached to it. This unit is what controls the Idle on these engines. Those rubber hoses will crack as well and really screw with idle and vacuum. These engines are very dependant on a completely sealed leak free vacuum system. Also clean the IACV with Carb cleaner, take the top hose off and clean the crap out of it.

Normal idle is ~750RPM. Normal Oil pressure is anything above .3 at idle and 3 when the engine is above 2000RPM.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:35 PM

will take your suggestions and see what turns up.
Thanks