MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   190E (W201) (https://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201-60/)
-   -   1985 190E 2.3 What to look out for? (https://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201/44925-1985-190e-2-3-what-look-out.html)

mctwin2kman 07-09-2003 10:53 AM

1985 190E 2.3 What to look out for?

I work for an auto auction in the IT department. There is a 1985 190E 2.3 out there, it runs a little rough to me but I am not sure of the way they should sound. It has 110,000 miles on it and the only window that works is the passenger front. So what may this cost to fix the windows at least to get the driver one working? Also the power seats move fine back and forth and no jumping when put into gear. I did not drive it just moved it back and forth in the space. The exhaust sounds like it has a leak and that may be what I consider rough sounding engine. It started right up and the AC seemed to blow cold, I could only get it to the first fan position so it also need a fan switch. Also how in the heck do you open the moonroof on these things. I could not find a switch. I offered up to $400 and now must wait for it to run through and see what it goes for. Maybe I get it Maybe I don't but this info would be good for the future if another goes through. Exterior in mint on this baby and the engine bay did not look bad. But who knows when they may have cleaned it, since it would most likely have been done just before it arrived on our lot. Anyway, any info you got will be greatly appreciated.

Limited Edition 190E 07-09-2003 11:58 AM

The sunroof switch is above the rear view mirror by the interior light. You may want to ask this question at www.190Revolution.net a 190E specific forum. If you need parts, you can contact Pat at pat@pgauto.com

Regards,

Don

mctwin2kman 07-09-2003 01:16 PM

Dealer said no to $625, I was only going $400. Oh well, it had some costly things needed to fix it so too bad so sad....

mctwin2kman 08-06-2003 01:10 PM

Found an '86 with 150,000 miles on it for $800. Seems to be running fine, but it needs gas before I can ok the purchase. I need to see how it starts. It has dual power seats and all as well as the normal 190E stuff. A/C compressor makes some birdie chirping sounds but that is fine by me, I can just take the compressor out of the loop until I feel the need to fix it. Does anyone know the belt size without the compressor? Also anything else I should look for. I have a few hours to poke around before I make my bid. He no-saled me at $500 but no one else was there to carry the bids up. He wanted $1000 but settled for $800 and I checked the carfax report and all is good with it. The only problems with it are two of the doors the MB-Tex is coming off the top edge around the window area and one rear window may not work. The front seats have some wear and are in rough shape but not awefull. The air cleaner looks like it caught fire at one point but long ago. The dash has a few cracks and the ignition switch area is all cracked as well. But things I can live with as this is a 3rd car and a project car as well. Any helpfull hints or things to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and the power moonroof switch is in the center console on this one. Right above the radio and heater controls next to the power antennae switch.