MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   190E (W201) (https://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201-60/)
-   -   SLS restoration Project-need help! (https://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201/473071-sls-restoration-project-need-help.html)

bryanjchen 12-05-2012 01:26 PM

SLS restoration Project-need help!

Hi All,

I own a 1991 2.5-16 in Taiwan with front and rear SLS and am now in the process trying to restore the SLS system on the car. I bought the car about 18 months ago and have been slowly trying to find the parts to do this project. Everyone keeps telling me how rare the full SLS system was and that I should restore the car back to its original glory. I found an old MB mechanic that said he could do the restoration project. After going through the parts I had, he advised me of what I needed to purchase, mainly the 4 accumulator balls plus one ASD accumulator ball, the top mounts and cushions, bolts and washers. After he installed all the parts, he was able to get the rear of the car to rise but not the front. The front just sagged really low making it impossible to drive. We then had to reinstall the old front springs(AMG) but left the factory shocks in place so that the car was at a proper height, which is it in now. My mechanic, after going through what he had done and trying to diagnose the issue, feels that it could be the front ride height controller(MB part r1243280031), but there are two other parts, the names of which I don't know, part numbers 2013200458 and 2013270025(please let me know what these parts are if you know), which he says may also be problematic. The rear level control we assume is working properly since the rear is able to rise. He feels the front ride height/level controller is broke since the oil does not seem to be passing through. Can someone in the forum help me to figure out the problem as the parts seem to be quite expensive and are hard to get, especially for me in Taiwan, my car is the only one in the country with full SLS. Can these parts be rebuilt?What i don't want to happen is for me to buy the level controller and then find out the other parts are also not working and then spend even more. I have already spent a bit of cash on the restoration, more than if I had bought a full new set of aftermarket shocks and springs with installation, so i am at a point where I need to decide whether to continue on with this project or only use the rear SLS with the front as it is now(sls shocks with amg springs) or just delete the SLS and go with a full set of aftermarket shocks and springs. I have come a long way and willing to try to finish the restoration and think it would be cool to have the system working but need to consider whether it is worth doing. Can anyone share their experience with this or provide their thoughts and recommendations on what else could possibly be the problem. Greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bryan

DocWalla 12-19-2012 12:21 AM

id say just beef up the front end sway bars and what not, put some good coil overs in there with bilstein sturts (i like b8 sports).

efzauner 03-06-2018 07:18 PM

The first thing I would do is check the battery and alternator. not just charge voltage but current too.. take it to an indy for this, one that can read and reset all modules.
So many electronic faults are due to bad charging system.

I just went thru all of that.,