MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   190E (W201) (https://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201-60/)
-   -   Anyone ever try replacing the radiator fan clutch (https://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201/599912-anyone-ever-try-replacing-radiator-fan-clutch.html)

Rauhbatz 09-17-2015 06:02 PM

Anyone ever try replacing the radiator fan clutch

Found a really great article from Pelican parts...but loosening the radiator looks a bit challenging...

Anyone ever try replacing this unit? Mine is completely gone as you can spin the fan blade when its hot...

Was thinking about leaving the radiator in place and trying the process of putting an old allen wrench and then breaking loose the bolt that holds the fan clutch on...

My local car tech guys can do this but was curious is this is doable for someone that just does oil changes. It looks pretty straightforward as there are no belts involved...but not much room to work!

trooper6 11-27-2015 01:11 AM

It is an easy job if you have the right tools. I tried but could not get it off. Took it to my indy who had a special MB tool made specifically for that job and it was out in 5 minutes with the radiator still in.
Mike

Rauhbatz 11-28-2015 07:37 AM

Hi Trooper6...an update for you...

Thanks for the reply...indeed my indy car tech gang got the fan off in no time.

They had ordered a fan clutch that looked to be for a 2.6...and it would not fit; its the fan clutch that looks like some sort of sun or star with points all around the outside.

The 2.3 appears to have a different fan clutch...looks to be electrical of some sort. Its round, smooth and has about 6 bolts on the front from what I could tell.

So we have to search for the right fan clutch out there...with winter coming cooling won't be a problem for a few months! :0

Plutoe 12-04-2015 05:37 PM

Are you sure that you mechanic friend knows what he is doing, because without a VIN your car does not have a fan clutch---the clutching mechanism is a solenoid and only functions in a narrow temp band, otherwise the fan does not spin except for the wind action

Rauhbatz 12-05-2015 08:53 AM

Plutoe...thanks for the commentary

I will give the tech the VIN #...it does appear to be a solenoid device to actuate the fan.

It only gets hot when the car sits in idle during heavy traffic...even more pronounced when its warmer.

Plutoe 12-05-2015 11:27 AM

So what's the problem---does the fan run or not run with the higher coolant temps-

dennish 12-07-2015 11:43 AM

Replaced mine without removing the radiator. Adequate room to get fan out.

Rauhbatz 12-12-2015 08:22 AM

fan does not run at higher temps

When sitting even in cool wx the coolant will rise to nearly 110c...then the big fan at the front of the raidiator kicks in

My tech noticed that the fan behind the radiator does not engage when the temp starts to rise...hence the recommendation to replace the fan clutch. ...

Plutoe 12-13-2015 08:42 PM

The large fan on and off action is controlled by a temp switch that activates(between 98 and 102 C) the coolant pump solenoid which in turn grabs the fan and away you go---

My point is have you tested the temp switch and solenoid and have you confirmed that the thermostat is fully open to allow all repeat all coolant flows through the radiator.

Sounds like you have much more work to do before----------

Rauhbatz 12-27-2015 06:11 PM

Hi Plutoe...have replaced the thermostat...temp switch?

Thermostat is OK as it was replaced...

The large fan in front of the radiator does kick on in that temp range...what does not appear to be working is the fan behind the radiator...any thoughts on that issue?

Rauhbatz 01-01-2016 11:33 AM

I am going to replace the two pin temp sensor

Hi Plutoe...I plunked down $45.00 for a new temp sensor that is on the way from Germany. Its the two pin sensor that is in the middle of the three pin and other sensors that is supposed to kick the solenoid fan clutch in at 100C.

This car being over 20 years old I took your hint that the clutch may be OK but the sensor is not functional....

Will let you know how it goes...

Rauhbatz 03-04-2016 08:06 PM

Thanks to all ! It was the 3 pin sensor

Replaced that sensor...tested it by jumping the 2 pins w a flathead screwdriver...fan comes on!

Thanks to all! :bow:

Noorbhadella 08-24-2017 03:57 PM

C32 radiator replacement

Hey all. Need assistance with a radiator for my c32. Damaged and needs replacing and im curious to know if w203 radiators are all compatible or is the c32 radiator different in any way? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks