Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

3G iPhone cradle has arrived

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG
3G iPhone cradle has arrived

Apparently the new cradle that is a hybrid of interconnectivity is available. It's both blue tooth capable and, when in the cradle, is essentially hard wired into car and uses the more powerful built in car antenna. Anyone have any experience with this one or a price yet?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Following note still appears at http://www.wireless4mb.com

Old 09-03-2008, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by wrongcoast
Apparently the new cradle that is a hybrid of interconnectivity is available. It's both blue tooth capable and, when in the cradle, is essentially hard wired into car and uses the more powerful built in car antenna. Anyone have any experience with this one or a price yet?
It isn't exactly hard wired to the car when in the cradle, the signal needs to be connected with an antenna coupler which isn't as good as a physical antenna port. But this isn't iPhone specific, many other modern phones do not have a physical external antenna connector any more. At least it works better on the cradle than from your pocket.

The "iPod interface cable" should support battery charging which is good for a BT HF approach.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
The cradle is available from wireless4mb for $525. What isn't clear to me is if it is truly designed for both the iPhone and iPhone 3g, or if Mercedes is going to come out with a new one specifically for the 3G model. For my car (S-Class) I also need the adapter cable for the ipod interface which has to be moved from the glove box to the center console. Would be interested if anyone has the tech bulletin on the correct procedure to do the install.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by NJS430
The cradle is available from wireless4mb for $525.
Please provide link to their webpage where this is available.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:36 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by lkchris
Please provide link to their webpage where this is available.
I called them, don't know if it's on the WEBSITE.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
As far as I know there is only one available and it is not compatible with the iphone 3G. I ordered two of them I should have them tomorrow.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JonMBZ; 09-04-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:25 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
I'm hearing mixed messages on the subject. I believe the 3G does fit in it, but not quite as well as the original iphone. It also supposedly charges in it. This is something it doesn't do on the ipod interface.

I don't believe there has been any formal communication from Mercedes on whether or not they will be releasing another cradle specifically for the 3G. They simply came out with the "iphone cradle" about the same time as the new 3g model was released.

I would be very interested in hearing your assessment of the cradle for the 3G once you receive them.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I tend to remember a comment that iPhone changed the charger voltage to something like 5V for the second generation device. If the first generation iPhone is using higher voltage, it could even be that one cradle cannot support both. That would be a strange approach, I would expect at least a new cradle that would sense the iPhone model and would then support both.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
I've used the old AC charger on my new iPhone, as well as vice versa, and it's been fine...hope to have a real answer to the iPhone cradle questions soon...it's just all a mystery for now
Old 09-05-2008, 12:45 PM

ML350 Bluetech
What's the final verdict on needing the iPod interface? I didn't get this with my car because I didn't see the need to use my iPod in the car given that I have Sirius. Can I use the iPhone cradle by itself or do I need to get the iPod interface also?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 PM

2011 CL63 AMG
iPhone cradle--first impressions

Got the cradle and am only moderately impressed. Firstly, it does work with 3G but there are certain caveats. I was told it would support use in AND out of cradle but I must be an idiot 'cause I can't figure out how to make it work uncradled with just bluetooth (which by the way must be on for a connection even when the phone is in the cradle). Also, there's a wire coming out of the cradle that I have no idea what it does and the very short instruction booklet makes no mention of it and the connector at the end of same is not for an iPod. The iPhone only partially integrates into the Comand system. Your contact list will download but if you have more than one number for a person it will not differentiate between them on the screen, it just lists multiple entries for, say, Bob Smith. Call waiting does not work and SMS messages are not read. That restriction is stated in the booklet. Speed dial is related to favorites list but not in a one to one match up. Also, I'm pretty certain my previous cradled phone used the car's antenna when docked and thus was much more powerful (many less dropped calls and a stronger signal even in problem areas). So far it seems like the connection is only bluetooth while cradled and the phone antenna alone is in use not the car and the equivalent of essentially a hard wired connection. Haven't tried out iPod functionality as I'm already hardwired for that in glovebox. IMHO an OK item so far, could have provided better integration and waaaay overpriced at $500. The guys at wireless4mb very helpful and pleasant and contacted me after I had left my number when the cradle was first announced (for Europe) this summer. Hope the above is useful. Any further feedback or tips are appreciated.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wrongcoast
Got the cradle and am only moderately impressed. Firstly, it does work with 3G but there are certain caveats. I was told it would support use in AND out of cradle but I must be an idiot 'cause I can't figure out how to make it work uncradled with just bluetooth (which by the way must be on for a connection even when the phone is in the cradle). Also, there's a wire coming out of the cradle that I have no idea what it does and the very short instruction booklet makes no mention of it and the connector at the end of same is not for an iPod. The iPhone only partially integrates into the Comand system. Your contact list will download but if you have more than one number for a person it will not differentiate between them on the screen, it just lists multiple entries for, say, Bob Smith. Call waiting does not work and SMS messages are not read. That restriction is stated in the booklet. Speed dial is related to favorites list but not in a one to one match up. Also, I'm pretty certain my previous cradled phone used the car's antenna when docked and thus was much more powerful (many less dropped calls and a stronger signal even in problem areas). So far it seems like the connection is only bluetooth while cradled and the phone antenna alone is in use not the car and the equivalent of essentially a hard wired connection. Haven't tried out iPod functionality as I'm already hardwired for that in glovebox. IMHO an OK item so far, could have provided better integration and waaaay overpriced at $500. The guys at wireless4mb very helpful and pleasant and contacted me after I had left my number when the cradle was first announced (for Europe) this summer. Hope the above is useful. Any further feedback or tips are appreciated.
If you have the iPod interface in the glove box, aren't you supposed to rewire that to the cradle, I assume the cable on the cradle you mention is for this purpose.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Sorry they sent my cradles 2nd day air so I wont get them till monday and that's my day off. For the record let's still say 3G is not supported because it says it in black and white in the dealer guide that it isn't. I would imagine that the bluetooth should work uncradled as that's how all of the hybrid cradles have worked in the past.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
according to what I read on the Mercedes boards for the UK, even though the phone connects using Bluetooth, the phone must be docked for the connection to work.

I'll be testing out my iPhone cradle this weekend with my 3G iPhone. I have the Euro COMAND and also the UHI kit installed by MBenzNL.

I paid about $300 for my cradle, also purchased from MBenzNL.

Last edited by t-bone; 09-05-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 PM

2011 CL63 AMG
Further update

A couple of more observations about the new 3G iPhone cradle:

1) When the phone rings it rings in two places -- with the ringtone you have it set to on the phone itself and also within the Comand phone system with a wimpy ding dongy ring that I haven't ever heard before and don't know how to change (and it's not an iPhone ring option).
2) My glovebox iPod appears to work normally including reading out on the dash screen.
3) For some reason the number one speed dial slot has defaulted to my phone's own number (it's not that way in my phone's favorites list) and at least one of the speed dial assignments, upon pressing, indicates the number is not a valid number. Can't figure that one out either.
4) As I stated before, the dude at wireless4mb stated the phone would work with bluetooth while in my pocket as well as in the cradle. Not happening for me as of this moment.
Again, solutions or tips from other users experiences would be fantastic. Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Old 09-06-2008, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
First, this is my car setup:

2004 W211 E55
Euro COMAND
UHI kit installed by MBenzNL in 2005
iPhone 3G

Intial observations:

The phone charges.

It downloads the phonebook contacts and differentiates between multiple numbers for a contact by putting a /W after the name for a work number, /H for home and /M for mobile. Example:

John Smith /W
John Smith /M
John Smith /H

The number is also displayed below the list.

I have not had a chance to see if call waiting works yet.

The cradle cannot access SMS messages. The manual states:

"COMAND and the vehicle's operating system/on-board computer cannot access text messages (SMS)."

I have not integrated the iPod connector yet. I'll be waiting for MBenzNL to do that. The port for the connector does not look like it accepts the standard iPod connector so I'm not sure how that will work.

In the manual it specifically states that a phone must be in the cradle for the bluetooth connection to work. If you want to pair another phone with it, the iPhone must still be in the cradle. Here is the text from the manual:

"Briefly press the Bluetooth button if you would like to manually connect to a different mobile phone (the next paired mobile phone) instead of automatically connecting to the mobile phone inserted in the cradle. The existing connection between mobile phone and cradle is disconnected and the next paired mobile phone is searched for. A mobile phone must be placed in the cradle for this."

The integration is good enough for me. I just want the iPod functionality now. For me it was worth the cost.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015amg s63
Hi,
I just received the iphone cradle from wireless4mb and could not be happier. I had the blutooth adaptor from them previously which I am using now in my wife's 2007 gl450. Notable differences:

1. Exellent signal strength with use of car external antenna.
2. Exellent voice quality just like talking on home phone with no disturbance commented and confirmed by everyone on the other end.
3. Automatic adressbook download.

There are two questions I have:

1. Does the cradle keep charging the iphone even after the car is parked overnight or does it stop charging once the engine is shut off( and should I worry about battery drain or do I need to take the phone off the cradle at night?).

2. I do not have the ipod or the adaptor installed in the glovebox.
What do I need to have to use the ipod functionality of the Iphone (cradle has an adaptor plug of some kind attached to it). Is there a wire or mm cable which I need to have installed to see the iphone's ipod inerface on my command unit?.

My car is
2006 amg s55 with voice activated telephone and sirius sat and nav screen.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:16 PM

2011 CL63 AMG
T-Bone's Success

I certainly would be more excited about the cradle if I had similar integration as t-bone does. Have you made modifications or added equipment from Europe? Or is yours a car picked up in Europe, shipped and then modded for U.S. use? Perhaps it's a model issue as to why my results have been different.
For me, more specificity regarding name entries with multiple phone numbers would be a huge get. Plus, I know that my previous cradled phone, a Motorola V60, had a MUCH more consistently strong signal which leads me to believe that the hesitation and somewhat vague answer I got from wireless4mb when I asked about using the car's antenna with the new cradle indicates something about that function is not now as it was.
Incidentally, the manual also specifically states call waiting does not work with the cradle.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
My car is a car bought here in the US but modified by MBenzNL. Therefore my phone system may not work like typical US phone systems.

I had the UHI kit installed even though I bought the car with the handsfree system. I also had the Euro COMAND installed although that does not require much modification to work. I think the difference in how integrated things are is due to my Euro COMAND.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 PM

2011 CL63 AMG
Thanks for the info, T-Bone. Sounds like the European COMAND systems are somewhat more sophisticated than the US ones. Good for you. Sucks for me.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
XJ9

C350
the extra mystery plug that comes on the cradle is the multimedia adapter plug. It would fit the multimedia port that comes on the 2009 MY ML/GL/R/E/CLS/SL and basically takes the place of the existing ipod/iphone plug. I just had the new multimedia kit fitted to my W204 and that extra plug fits right up to my new connector.

If you have an older vehicle with the regular ipod kit then you need to get a special adapter cable; it will have an end that is the opposite of the one on the cradle and the other end is a RJ45 that will fit in the ipod kit black box (the box is located behind the command on ML/GL/R or under the passenger side dash on E/CLK).
Old 09-07-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by cheenu
Hi,
I just received the iphone cradle from wireless4mb and could not be happier.
Can you tell us the Mercedes part number?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:29 AM

2015amg s63
Hi Kent,
I think it is:
Part # A2048203151(edited) but I will repost once I get to work if it is different. Still awaiting answers to my questions, anyone please!!

1. Does the cradle keep charging the iphone even after the car is parked overnight or does it stop charging once the engine is shut off( and should I worry about battery drain or do I need to take the phone off the cradle at night?).

2. I do not have the ipod or the adaptor installed in the glovebox.
What do I need to have to use the ipod functionality of the Iphone (cradle has an adaptor plug of some kind attached to it). Is there a wire or mm cable which I need to have installed to see the iphone's ipod function on my command unit?.

Last edited by cheenu; 09-08-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 AM

2015amg s63
THE CORRECT PART NUMBER ISFOR MY S55 ANYWAY)

A 204 820 31 51

looked at the cradle this am.

I will edit previous post.

thanks

Last edited by cheenu; 09-08-2008 at 09:05 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: 3G iPhone cradle has arrived