Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

DIY Wheel Painting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S500 4MATIC
DIY Wheel Painting

I am considering painting my 5 spoke 18" AMG wheels using the Duplicolor process which is basically clean, sand, clean, prime, paint, then clear coat. I realize there is no substitute for a professional paint job.

Has anyone refinished their own wheels using spray paint?

How did the paint hold up?

Any other comments?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
I've nver used Duplicolor, but this is a methodology / products I've used on MB and BMW wheels with success

a) Refinishing:
• Remove the damaged wheel from vehicle.
• Clean the damaged area with PrepSol and then sand the scratched or damaged area with Norton 3X Sandpaper (p-graded aluminium oxide grain,) 60, 80 or 100 grit sand paper, sand wet or dry with a wooden sanding block.
• Use a tack rag and wipe the area, using a light pressure
• Fill any minor indentations with Bondo Lightweight Filler 264 and Red Cream Hardener, allowing approx 30 minutes before you shape / sand
• Sand the wheels until you've removed the scratches, `kerbing' marks and/or smoothed the Bondo filler.
• Continue the sanding process using finer and finer grades of UniGrit paper, 220 or 320 grit and finally with 500-grit paper.
• For small hard to reach places use a Dremel Tool and a suitable sanding bit
Note- If the above cleaning method don’t finish to wheels to your liking have them bead blasted
Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, VW, and most other European OEMs use a cast aluminium alloy wheels. They're usually painted silver and have a clear coated finish.

b) Repainting (cast aluminium ) Wheel Surface• Prepare the surface by removing all sandpaper residues with a tack rag, wash surface and then dry thoroughly. .
• Use 3M Painters Masking Tape between the tyre and the wheel rim (or use Vaseline to mask the tyre from paint overspray)
• Wipe-down the wheels with DuPont Prep Sol and allow to air dry.
• Apply a thin coat of 1z 'Haft-Grund' Self-etching Primer to stabilize and provide an etched surface.
• Use at temperatures between 70 – 90.oF degrees Fahrenheit (.Do not use this paint in damp conditions)
• Shake the can well for at least a full minute
• Push the spray nozzle as you sweep across and release at the end.
• Spray on, spray off. Spray on, spray off; apply as a very fine / thin coat.
• Paint the wheels with two thin coats of silver alloy paint (Wurth German Alloy Silver Wheel) to ensure complete coverage
• Allow air-drying; 1-2 hours between coats and then lightly sand finish, then leave to cure overnight.
• Finish with a clear lacquer paint (Wurth European Blend Lacquers) apply two or three thin coats of clear with about 20-30 minutes of drying time between coats to seal the silver metallic paint and add depth and gloss
• A allow clear coat to air-dry and then cure for 4-6 ours
• Apply a sealant for protection
• If your axle/ wheel centres (hats) are cast iron, you may want to consider painting the hat area with some hi-temp black engine paint

Product details
1. 1z 'Haft-Grund' Self-etching Primer - bare metal (steel or aluminium) wheels should be primed first with a self' -etching primer and is lead and cadmium-free Applied under a topcoat of urethane paint provides a secondary method of protecting the steel from corrosion. This primer bonds to bare metal and forms a base suitable for synthetic resin, acrylic lacquer and nitro combination paints. A single can will prime two wheels
Warning - Do not use this primer on painted or clear-coated wheels where you are touching-up scuffs and scrapes. A self-etching Primer is for use only on wheels that have been taken down to bare metal.

2. Wurth German Alloy Silver Wheel Paint (Aerosol) can be used as a spot touch-up or whole wheel repaints, one can is enough to coat two complete wheels. This paint is unusually user-friendly, it’s a fast-drying lacquer that matches the standard allow wheel paint use by Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi and most other European OEMs. One aerosol restores two complete wheels. to match the OEM gloss of new vehicles

3. Wurth European Blend Lacquers (Aerosol) - used for all German (silver) painted wheels, to match the OEM gloss of new vehicles. This paint is unusually user-friendly, it’s a fast-drying lacquer that matches the standard allow wheel paint use by Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi and most other European OEMs. Wurth German Alloy Silver Wheel Lacquer can be effectively used for spot repairs or full wheel restoration. One can is enough to coat two complete wheels. For the best results, use at temperatures between 70 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Last edited by TOGWT; 01-17-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S500 4MATIC
I ordered the Wurth products as you (and others) have recommended. I'll post after I finish the project to let others know how it went.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Hey! Where are the pictures???

(we've already pm'ed. I'm just subscribing to this thread).