Mobile Electronics and Lighting The archived forum for mobile electronics and lighting equipment for sale by members. Browse newer listings and create your own in our new Marketplace.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS - Comand System for 2008-9 W209 includes STAR programming if in SoCal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
FS - Comand System for 2008-9 W209 includes STAR programming if in SoCal

When I got my 2005 CLK it came with Audio 20 and HK system. I purchased a Comand for W209 on Ebay and installed it. Sound was good but as I didn't have Star I was unable to code dashboard. I thought that this was cause of my inability to set time on the Comand. It was always off by 1 hour and didn't care what the dashboard clock was set to.

Was a minor irritant but bugged me.

Recently I got a STAR system set up on a Dell 630 and finally coded dashboard to "Comand=Present" I was surprised to discover that instead of 1 clock wrong and 1 clock correct, I ended up with BOTH clocks off by an hour. "Timeset" was an option on Comand but only lit up when car off. If you pushed it it would tell you to turn on ignition. If you turn on ignition, then it would grey out the "Timeset".

I was confused by people's posts about time zone setting. I eventually found numerous posts from other people with MCS2 units having similar problem. I have now come to realize that there were 2 different MCS2 systems for W209. There are a variety of part numbers but the important and easy to spot difference is the early ones have a "SERV" button that leads to a soft key "SYSTEM" while the newer ones have a "SYS" key where "SERV" was.

Using newer (2008-9) in a 2005-7 car leads to the inability to set time. So for perfect function in a 2005-7 car, you should use a MCS2 with "SERV" key. I was also unable to find a way to get into "Engineering Mode' in the "SYS" one while "OK", "7", and "MUTE" works on SERV model.

I can verify that the above is true in that I sourced an earlier "SERV" model and installed it in place of the later one. I am now able to set timezone and have perfect function. A mild loss is that the later model shows time on screen, nice for passengers as the older one only shows current time on the Speedo clock area.

As a consequence, I have the later model for sale. I will post the official sale in the classifieds section and add a link here later. I don't know what happens if you use the early model in a later car.

In the bad news section, when I first installed the proper one, there was no sound output. Apparently the original owner had different set up on MOST bus. All I had to do was reset MOST bus and all was fine. But this means it is possible that anytime someone buys a used one from Ebay they may get one that doesn't match their MOST config and they will need STAR to reset. A drag really.

So, to sum up, I have a 2008-9 Comand that works perfectly but I had to remove as it didn't match my car exactly. Perfect for someone with a 2008 or 2009 who wants Comand. Ideal for someone in SoCal as I can give advice on install and I will include FREE Star programming after install to enable dashboard and fix any MOST errors. Both drives work and display nice and new looking.

Will be going on Ebay for $600 but I will sell to a forum member for $500 local cash or $550 on Paypal.
Attached Thumbnails FS - Comand System for 2008-9 W209 includes STAR programming if in SoCal-img_3720.jpg   FS - Comand System for 2008-9 W209 includes STAR programming if in SoCal-img_3711.jpg   FS - Comand System for 2008-9 W209 includes STAR programming if in SoCal-img_3728.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014, 03:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 Mercedes CLK63 AMG
Engineering mode

Hey,

I was wondering what the exact sequence is to get into the engineering mode in the w209 with SERV button. Are all buttons pressed at once or in a specific sequence.

Thanks