Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

UHI Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
UHI Installation

I finally went ahead and installed UHI phone setup in our SL55 and thought that I share some of my experience.
First of all, the setup works and looks great! Best looking cradles without the annoying spiral cord, having Bluetooth in the car (for internet access, headset), SMS and finally freedom from the outdated and overpriced (or non-available) proprietary Mercedes phones.

I heard that Steve was going to offer this in the US and was looking forward to more details, but just seemed to take too long. So I ended up buying everything in Germany and had it shipped here. I started with the Nokia 6310i phone I already have (clunky but very capable), but have another cradle coming for a T610 (Sony Ericsson) so that I can sync my phone via Bluetooth (using isync for Mac) while the car is in the garage.

Installation turned out to be bigger job than expected. Mercedes had changed all cable connectors (besides the PSE and D2B plug, so all connectors in the armrest wouldn't work (including the antenna connectors, which are now also proprietary).

I assume that Steve will use conversion cables for antenna and cradle but I ended up buying the complete original UHI phone harness (2 pieces). My first installation was the SL because the whole setup is behind the seats by the CD player (easier) but annoying because the whole rear interior had to be disassembled.

The most cumbersome part turned out to be the armrest. UHI uses a connector plate that snaps into a false floor and the cradle snaps into that plate. Very easy and clean looking and simple to install. The problem was that the internal armrest cables needed replacement as well and the new cable (going from two to three connectors) was much thicker than the old ones and still needed to fit into the hinge assembly. With some creative work this was accomplished.

Since we use T-Mobile and have spotty coverage where we live I also decided to continue using a linear compensator (from an old Timeport setup) which works great. For the antenna connection I just bought a new mini-UHF connector (at Radio Shack) and cut off the Mercedes connector. Works better than an adapter which reduces signal strength a bit.

Overall not a plug-n-play, but here are a couple of suggestions if you attempt to do this yourself:
Buy a conversion cable. Mercedes offers no retrofit cables and the SL was easier than trunk-based installations, but there are now aftermarket cables available in Germany (eBay) for about $50. They will make the conversion much easier.
When you buy the PSE (the main brain), part no: 230 820 42 26, make sure to get software version 0603 Q4. The version 0503 had some bugs.

You "may" be able to buy some UHI parts in the US as well.

While the PSE appears to be different in the US, the cradle connectors look identical to the European UHI. They are referred to as MHI (Multiple Handset Interface) or UHI parts.
Also, only the MOST fiberoptics bus is supported in the US, but this only matters for the PSE, not the cradle.

Be beware that just because the connectors are the same that the pinout may not be. Maybe Steve could clarify:

Cradle Base (Contact Plate) Price around $105
A23082005011 (171, 230)
A2038201311 (203, 209, 211)
A2158200611 (215)
A2208201511 (220)
Some of these are not available yet in the US...

Unlike older cradles, this is really a software interface and while it physically fits it may not work with the European UHI.
Cradle v60i, v60s, v600, v710. Price around $200
V60i – Q6820988
V60s – Q6820925
V600 – Q6820919
V710 – Q6820920

Here are the parts I installed in the SL:
UHI Connector 230 820 05 11
UHI Floor plate 230 823 09 11
Connector Cable 230 820 38 15 (2ft.long)
PSE 230 820 42 26
Nokia 6310i cradle 230 820 06 51
Wiring Harness 230 540 88 06 (about 5ft. long, connects to the PSE, cradle, compensator, fuse block, microphone, ground & wakeup signal)
I also had to buy a D2B fiber optic cable for the SL

Total cost: a bit over $600. If you go the German eBay route for some parts, expect about $300+ but the risk is higher...

I didn’t have a camera available during the install, but will post some finished pics later.

Hope this info helps a bit. I will certainly install another UHI kit in our S-Class.

Wolfman

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-21-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55
Did you say BlueTooth??

Good work man!! Did you say you installed BlueTooth in your SL??
Old 10-22-2004, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Excellent job! Any photos to share?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Wolfman

Installation turned out to be bigger job than expected. Mercedes had changed all cable connectors (besides the PSE and D2B plug, so all connectors in the armrest wouldn't work (including the antenna connectors, which are now also proprietary).

I assume that Steve will use conversion cables for antenna and cradle but I ended up buying the complete original UHI phone harness (2 pieces). My first installation was the SL because the whole setup is behind the seats by the CD player (easier) but annoying because the whole rear interior had to be disassembled.

The most cumbersome part turned out to be the armrest. UHI uses a connector plate that snaps into a false floor and the cradle snaps into that plate. Very easy and clean looking and simple to install. The problem was that the internal armrest cables needed replacement as well and the new cable (going from two to three connectors) was much thicker than the old ones and still needed to fit into the hinge assembly. With some creative work this was accomplished.

[...]

Overall not a plug-n-play, but here are a couple of suggestions if you attempt to do this yourself:
Buy a conversion cable. Mercedes offers no retrofit cables and the SL was easier than trunk-based installations

[...]

When you buy the PSE (the main brain), part no: 230 820 42 26, make sure to get software version 0603 Q4. The version 0503 had some bugs.

You "may" be able to buy some UHI parts in the US as well.

While the PSE appears to be different in the US, the cradle connectors look identical to the European UHI. They are referred to as MHI (Multiple Handset Interface) or UHI parts.

[...]

Unlike older cradles, this is really a software interface and while it physically fits it may not work with the European UHI.
Cradle v60i, v60s, v600, v710. Price around $200
V60i – Q6820988
V60s – Q6820925
V600 – Q6820919
V710 – Q6820920
Good job!

First note: Steve's kits are NOW available for W203, W209, W463, W208, W210, and R230 ... with D2B; availability is SOON for W203, W209, W211 with MOST. The problem is installation instructions for all of these are not ready yet, and so they won't be sold to people unless they can install them without any installation support.

In almost all instances, Steve's kits do not use an adapter for the handset clip. The antenna cable may require an adapter in some cases. The new connectors are not any more proprietary than the old ones... they have industry standard names.

On the R230, Steve's clip plugs into the normal connector in the armrest; the antenna cable is replaced with an adapter. So, the cables aren't any bigger that what's already there. The R230 has the simplest wiring, so I am not sure where the trouble was with fitting it into the hinge area?

I find the trunk installations easier than the SL because the whole interior has to come out on the SL, and since they are interior parts, much more care must be exercised.

All PSEs always have bugs... just beware of that.

The MHI cradles (US) are not compatible with the UHI PSE, and the list price is $170 I believe.

-s-
Old 10-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Scorchie,

This is good news if you have an adapter to convert the old plug (like an RJ45) to the new one. If its a small adapter, then I can see that the armrest stays as is.
I certanly would have loved to use the adapter instead of the original harness. On the SL, of course, you need to disassemble the interior to some extend either way (to install the D2B cable and the PSE).

Regarding what didn't fit in the armrest, it's simple. Since I didn't have the adapter, I used the orginal UHI cable that is now mounted in the SL (05 model).
The 2 UHI base connector cables are about 6-8 inches long. They connect to another cable inside the armrest (about 2 foot long cable with 2 plugs going to three plugs (1 antenna, 2 going to the main harness). If you look at the original cable in the 2003 SL going from the armrest to underneath teleaid module, there are both much thinner than the new UHI replacement. They are also embedded into the hinge. Because the new ones are thicker and there are three, some adjustment was necessary.
Sorry, it's easy to show with pictures, but compicated to explain.

You are also right that all PSE's have software bugs. With the 0503 version being an early version it had a lot of bugs, specifically with phones not being recognised and phones heating up.

Regarding Bluetooth, I am going to do some testing tonight. In terms of intergration, the only thing I was told that exist is the headset feature to make up for the loss of privacy since the new cradle is without cord (which I like) and therefore the phone can't be handheld anymore.

Bluetooth to recognize another phone in your pocket or not having to plug in the phone does not exist with this UHI. It may come (I am not holding my breath though), but even if you have it you lose some signal strength over the car install and the phone doesn't charge.

Other Bluetooth functions that the phone supports naturally continue to work, but have no integration into comand or the speaker system.

I will still take some pics, but haven't had the time yet. I'll do that over the weekend.

Point is, I went the hard route without the instructions that would have helped immensly, but enjoy UHI very much. It is a great setup that I would highly recommend to anyone. Just the abilty to changes phones and not be locked into one make/model/seller(MB) is worth twice the price of it alone.

Scorchie, if you have an adapter for me, I'd like to buy one right away (send me an e-mail or PM)

Wolfman
Old 10-22-2004, 04:04 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by scorchie
availability is SOON for W203, W209, W211 with MOST.
This is exciting news! Will it be compatible with the OE US spec COMAND and related equipment? Please let us know when it becomes available for the W211.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie,
if you have an adapter for me, I'd like to buy one right away (send me an e-mail or PM)
I have something even better for you, but I couldn't send you e-mail. Send me an e-mail and I will make sure you get it.

Since I did an R230 the other day, the steps are fresh... I can tell you how you can use your original wiring that fits into the hinge without a problem.

-s-
Old 10-22-2004, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BoSoxFan
This is exciting news! Will it be compatible with the OE US spec COMAND and related equipment? Please let us know when it becomes available for the W211.
The goal is to be compatible. I believe the European phone kits will work better with US-spec COMAND than the US phone kits work with European COMAND.

That's because everything is written first for the European systems, then "adapted" for US stuff (e.g. the US phone systems). The bulk of the original code remains.

This was shown with the older COMAND; we'll test to make sure it is true with the new ones.

-s-
Old 10-22-2004, 06:17 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by scorchie
The goal is to be compatible. I believe the European phone kits will work better with US-spec COMAND than the US phone kits work with European COMAND.

That's because everything is written first for the European systems, then "adapted" for US stuff (e.g. the US phone systems). The bulk of the original code remains.

This was shown with the older COMAND; we'll test to make sure it is true with the new ones.

-s-
You and Steve have it together. MB should bring you guys on as consultants so they could get it right the first time.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this info helps a bit. I will certainly install another UHI kit in our S-Class.

Wolfman
Thanks Wolfman

I have a W220 UHI install scheduled for next month. Just one thing doesnt make sense in your comments.

The pinouts are all the same for UHI, it is in fact the connectors that vary. The W203 and W220 uses different connectors on the chassic side of the cable not phone side. All phone connections are the same at the UHI cradle.

The W220 main harness is MOST style not D2B so I will have to cut the MOST PSE plug and install DB25 connector for D2B PSE (I found one from ML phone removal or just from old body harness existing.). The crimp pins and connector itself can be bought from electronics store, I havent seen backshell supplier (90 degrees black plastic with PSE clip) so I use original.

Let me know how you go ......
Old 10-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by miroj
Thanks Wolfman

I have a W220 UHI install scheduled for next month. Just one thing doesnt make sense in your comments.

The pinouts are all the same for UHI, it is in fact the connectors that vary. The W203 and W220 uses different connectors on the chassic side of the cable not phone side. All phone connections are the same at the UHI cradle.

The W220 main harness is MOST style not D2B so I will have to cut the MOST PSE plug and install DB25 connector for D2B PSE (I found one from ML phone removal or just from old body harness existing.). The crimp pins and connector itself can be bought from electronics store, I havent seen backshell supplier (90 degrees black plastic with PSE clip) so I use original.

Let me know how you go ......
Both our 220 (S500) and the 230 (SL55) are pre-MOST and use D2B. Connectors for both cars use a RJ45-like connector (like an Cat5 Ethernet connectors for computers). With UHI, the cradle and harness connectors have changed (on the phone, not PSE side). While not proprietary, they are different nonetheless. Same with the antenna.
It is important to understand that UHI is available everywhere in the world EXCEPT the US. This makes it difficult for people here to get any information related to pinouts and wiring schematics. Even the WIS and EPC programs do not show that information. That's not the case in Australia...

It is that lack of info that makes things more difficult so its a good thing that Steve is creating detailed install info and has some type of adapter/conversion to deal with the different connectors, making retro-fits into previous models possible.

I just took the (somewhat) harder route because I wanted it NOW

Hope this helps..

Wolfman
Old 10-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Some Pictures

I mentioned that I didn't have a camera available showing the install, but at least here are some of how it looks when done. Cool thing is that I will switch to a different phone and can
Attached Thumbnails UHI Installation-img_0862.jpg   UHI Installation-img_0866.jpg   UHI Installation-img_0868.jpg   UHI Installation-img_0869.jpg   UHI Installation-img_0870.jpg  

Old 10-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Some more Pics

Attached Thumbnails UHI Installation-img_0875.jpg   UHI Installation-img_0877.jpg   UHI Installation-img_0878.jpg   UHI Installation-img_0879.jpg   UHI Installation-img_0882.jpg  

Old 10-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Banned

Both our 220 (S500) and the 230 (SL55) are pre-MOST and use D2B. Connectors for both cars use a RJ45-like connector (like an Cat5 Ethernet connectors for computers). With UHI, the cradle and harness connectors have changed (on the phone, not PSE side). While not proprietary, they are different nonetheless. Same with the antenna.
It is important to understand that UHI is available everywhere in the world EXCEPT the US. This makes it difficult for people here to get any information related to pinouts and wiring schematics. Even the WIS and EPC programs do not show that information. That's not the case in Australia...

It is that lack of info that makes things more difficult so its a good thing that Steve is creating detailed install info and has some type of adapter/conversion to deal with the different connectors, making retro-fits into previous models possible.

I just took the (somewhat) harder route because I wanted it NOW

Hope this helps..

Wolfman
I have a W220 and W203 conversion to make into UHI. Can you share with me the pin location of the wires from 10pin RJ header to 10pin AMP connector.

I purchased over the weekend the part numbers for the connectors used in the UHI joiner.

001 545 59 40 housing 10 pin
000 545 93 03 cap
000 545 46 30 plug 10 pin

168 545 43 28 plug

I didnt order the pins since they are normal MQS type used in all installations.

Did anyone publish the conversion pinout yet ?

I can publish now the pin colours for wires at the first joiner after the UHI connector back to the PSE.

W220 UHI armrest cable to 10 pin socket connector
-------------------------------------------------
1 - black
2 - light blue
3 - brown
4 - grey
5 - blue
6 - red
7 - green
8 - light green
9 - yellow
10 - white

W220 adaptor cable (UHI) from 10 pin armrest plug [to 20 pin socket]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 - blue (thick)
2 - orange + white
3 - green + white
4 - purple blue + white
5 - brown + white
6 - pink (thick)
7 - orange
8 - green
9 - purple blue
10 - brown

10 pin connector ------> PSE (MOST or D2B UHI version)
------------------------
1 - blue (thick).................power (Presumed -)
2 - orange + white............TX-
3 - green + white..............LS-
4 - purple blue + white.......RX-
5 - brown + white.............Mic-
6 - pink (thick).................Power (presumed +)
7 - orange.......................Tx+
8 - green.........................RX+
9 - purple blue..................LS+
10 - brown.......................Mic+

All this comes from harness in my hand and WIS.

All I need now is pinout of PSE with 25pin connector. Then I can convert any car into UHI.

Last edited by miroj; 10-25-2004 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

I now have the wiring diagrams for the US PSE's from 2000-2005 (StarTac/TimePort, V60, CP [V60 for MOST] and MHI [US UHI version]). If the pre-wired cables leading to the PSE are all the same, the pinouts should work you (presumably).

Email me...

Wolfman
Old 10-25-2004, 03:08 AM
Banned

I now have the wiring diagrams for the US PSE's from 2000-2005 (StarTac/TimePort, V60, CP [V60 for MOST] and MHI [US UHI version]). If the pre-wired cables leading to the PSE are all the same, the pinouts should work you (presumably).

Email me...

Wolfman
10 pin connector -------------> PSE (D2B UHI version) DB25
--------------------------------------------------------------
1 - blue (thick).................power (Presumed -) ....pin 21 + shield
2 - orange + white............TX-...........................pin 11
3 - green + white..............LS-...........................pin 8
4 - purple blue + white.......RX-...........................pin 23
5 - brown + white.............Mic-..........................pin 1
6 - pink (thick).................Power (presumed +).....pin 18
7 - orange.......................Tx+.................. .........pin 12
8 - green.........................RX+................. .........pin 24
9 - purple blue..................LS+......................... .pin 6
10 - brown.......................Mic+.................. .......pin 2

Colours may vary but the pins dont since all UHI connections are valid from PSE to armrest no matter what colour wire.

By the way the MHI isnt 25pins ... its more like 30 pins (MOST) so its almost impossible to read anything from that diagram.

Last edited by miroj; 10-25-2004 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Banned

So now you have the data connectors working and the antenna is still some stinky old technology.

Old antenna connection on the chassis side
-----------------------------------------
Mini-UHF connector on RG-178 cable.

What you need
--------------
SMB-FAKRA connector (female) from Amphenol / Molex / Tyco.

What does it look like ?
---------------------
A normal SMB connector with a custom made plastic shell.
In this case it is type D cover = Bordeaux Violet

Who sells it ?
--------------
www.digikey.com - search for FAKRA

Digi-Key Part Number ARF1330-ND Price $4.11 For 1

Manufacturer Part Number FA1-NDSJ-C10-0
Quantity Available 95

Google strings
--------------
smb fakra key black

Note
-----
I have chosen to modify the wiring harness that resides in the car not the harness that is being added with the UHI connector. I am keeping that as original UHI spec and deleting the outdated style of connector.

It would be easier to buy a mini-UHF connector and splice it onto the RG68 cable that comes with the UHI loom, but that seems ancient to me.
Attached Thumbnails UHI Installation-fakra.gif  

Last edited by miroj; 10-26-2004 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:06 PM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Who Makes the System

Does Motorola make this cradle system. The reason I'm asking is that I've got a Motorola v80 (not sold in US) that I would like to interface. It's identical to the v700 I think in terms of software. Do you think this holder is electrically compatible?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3819.htm

Jeff
Old 10-26-2004, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jeffreyy
Does Motorola make this cradle system. The reason I'm asking is that I've got a Motorola v80 (not sold in US) that I would like to interface. It's identical to the v700 I think in terms of software. Do you think this holder is electrically compatible?

Jeff
Motorola do not make the cradle. The cradles are manufactured by Peiker Acustic, although the electronics in the back of the car are made by Motorola.

How about an UHI kit for your car, Jeff? You can use a number of Sony, Siemens, or Nokia phones. I suspect there will be more Motorola support in about 6 months, so if you're a big Moto fan, you can just change out the cradle and move to something new!

Here's a picture of a SonyEricsson T637 installed in an R230 from a couple weeks ago. I was hoping ToonArmy (owner of the car) would post but I know he's a really busy guy, so I will post this pic.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 10-26-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:03 PM

2003 SL500
HI, sorry, it's been a hectic couple weeks.

Yes, that's my T637 in my R230 that Scorchie's pictured there. I have to say I'm very pleased with the kit, the installation, and the system.

It provides the functionality I was looking for, namely:

1. complete integration with the steering-wheel controls (answer/hangup, redial from last 10 dialed numbers, volume control, scroll through phone book).

2. Integration with phone book of the phone

3. For incoming calls, auto-mute of the stereo, caller ID in the dash, steering wheel answer on hands-free.

The reception is good - I'm on Cingular GSM 1900. I have not tried searching for 850 AT&T signals to check for dual-band antenna performance. I do note that the in-dash and COMAND signal strength displays show a range of 1-5 bars when the phone itself shows full signal, so I don't know if the phone disables the internal display when connected.

The phone charges correctly in the cradle, and I am able to use Tele-Aid (Scorchie asked if I wanted to keep this capability, there's some parts savings if you are willing to lose TeleAid).

Some quirks:

1. Once (but only once), the phone locked up when left in the car with the ignition switched off. I had to remove phone from cradle and remove the battery to get it to reset properly. I have seen a similar lockup from a Bluetooth pairing that was interrupted, so I suspect there is a window of vulnerability in the phone firmware for syncing.

2. I have had several instances where the last-dialed numbers buffer seems to not be kept in sync - no pattern that I can detect, but numbers dialed from the COMAND keypad or the voice-control system do not always register in the phone buffer. Strangely, I have even seen a case where dialing from the phone itself did not register. I'm baffled by this one, but it's not a killer.

3. The in-dash caller ID shows the calling number, not the name stored in the address book.

A caveat - the car phone bookj has a limit of 250 entries. If your phone has more than this, it will silently drop some when syncing (leading to moentary panic). I have since trimmed out some rarely-used numbers.

The voice control system (which I had installed at the same time) works well with the phone, but is not particularly useful with the other controls. The name dialing is good, and the number recognition also has worked well. It is mildly inconvenient that this is a completely separate phone directory, and you have to enter numbers by speaking them rather than selecting them from the phone book, but I can live with that. I have not, however, figured out how to use the voice control system to dial my voicemail and enter the password.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Banned

Jeff
The Motorola cradles were not operating correctly so they were withdrawn. Im not sure on the status of the V60 but the V600 was a flop.

UHI is becoming more common and more phones will be accepted in the future. At the moment its really a case of "take what is there".
Old 10-26-2004, 11:11 PM

Thanks Scorchie!!

Scorchie, thanks for the reply. Sure, I'm willing to try another phone in the interim. I'm not a huge Moto fan, but I did just buy this phone and it is a good phone overall.

The things that are most important to me are a) to not irradiate my acoustic nerves because of the recent report of increased incidence of acoustic schwannomas (benign nerve tumors) with heavy cell phone use...although this was a 10 year study, so that meant a lot of analog call time and b) not getting in an accident trying to dial my phone in traffic, and c) getting a stronger signal since there are some areas where I do tend to drop (one right near my new home site).

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having one of the new BlackBerries but I know that is never going to happen in an MB.

I'll wait until you guys (aka Steve and yourself) release something for the R230 w/ MOST bus because I know you will have tested in thoroughly and have it well documented.

J
Old 10-26-2004, 11:12 PM

Thx Miroj

Miroj, thx you also for the response!
Old 10-26-2004, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ToonArmy
1. Once (but only once), the phone locked up when left in the car with the ignition switched off. I had to remove phone from cradle and remove the battery to get it to reset properly. I have seen a similar lockup from a Bluetooth pairing that was interrupted, so I suspect there is a window of vulnerability in the phone firmware for syncing.

3. The in-dash caller ID shows the calling number, not the name stored in the address book.

A caveat - the car phone bookj has a limit of 250 entries. If your phone has more than this, it will silently drop some when syncing (leading to moentary panic). I have since trimmed out some rarely-used numbers.
Some notes:

I too had a lock-up with my SET637 as well... once. I freaked out because changing the battery didn't seem to help it! After a while it came back to life though... I think the battery needs to be out more than a few seconds.

There's a service bulletin on if the system shows the caller number and not the name. Save all the numbers with +1 at the beginning. You should be doing this anyhow, as a good member of the international community.

Wow, 250 entries... I think my SIM has that limit too. You must be Mr. Popular! Haha.

-s-
Old 10-26-2004, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie, thanks for the reply. Sure, I'm willing to try another phone in the interim. I'm not a huge Moto fan, but I did just buy this phone and it is a good phone overall.

The things that are most important to me are a) to not irradiate my acoustic nerves because of the recent report of increased incidence of acoustic schwannomas (benign nerve tumors) with heavy cell phone use...although this was a 10 year study, so that meant a lot of analog call time and b) not getting in an accident trying to dial my phone in traffic, and c) getting a stronger signal since there are some areas where I do tend to drop (one right near my new home site).

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having one of the new BlackBerries but I know that is never going to happen in an MB.

I'll wait until you guys (aka Steve and yourself) release something for the R230 w/ MOST bus because I know you will have tested in thoroughly and have it well documented.

J
Jeff... (a) and (c) are usually diametrically opposed, but not always. The SE T637 performs REALLY well (compared to previous Ericsson phones) and I was impressed, until I found out that it was one of the worst in terms of radiation. But, the Nokia 6230b performs EXCEPTIONALLY WELL in terms of radiation, and has pretty good RF reception performance as well. This phone is supported by UHI. So with it, you can be relaxed when you use your phone outside of the car.

The MOST-based stuff is getting ready for release. It turns out 2003-2004 W211 and 2004 W215/220 may be more difficult due to microphone issues, but your car should be fine.

-s-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UHI Installation