C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Need help on Changing the signal housing on the mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. like the title states.

a rock cracked my stock mirror signal light housing. does any one here know how I can replace it? I got some new ones already. but having troble to take the mirrors off the car.

if any one can help that would be great. Thanks
Old 11-10-2004, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
It's kinda hard to explain, but I used the directions (with pictures) posted on this forum and was able to do it without much trouble. Run a search and see what you come up with. The hardest part for me was actually popping the old blinker out cuz I didn't want to push too hard and break anything. The other tricky part was getting the mirror housing to snap back into place afterward because I had the tab pushed in too far.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
run a search. this has been described in great detail.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
I copied and pasted the info. below from another forum because I don't think it's allowed for us to link to another site. The instructions apply to W211 blinker install, so if you're not putting those in, the wiring and error message stuff won't apply. The first part is basically what you need to pay attention to. Good luck!

---
Parts- 2038201421 2038201321 (L & R W211 Blinker Assemblies), 8 small tube style wire connectors (pink size).

Tools-Medium flat-blade screwdriver, small Phillips, wire strippers, pliers / crimpers, flashlight or shop light

Mirror Case Removal - Tilt the inside edge of the mirror glass all the way toward the car to get it out of the way. 'Fold' the mirror back toward the back of the car by pushing on the outer edge. It folds with difficulty, but just keep pushing until you can look down the 'inside front'. You will need the light to see down in there. A friend at this stage really helps because it's hard to hold the mirror and do the next step. Fold and hold the mirror back at least 45 degrees, or until you can look inside the whole case. Located about at the junction where the end curve of the lens meets the shell, on the inside, is the clip you will need to pop with the flat blade screwdriver. It is the only piece of silver in the mirror. It's a vertical slit, about 3/4" long, right up against the shell of the mirror. Insert the blade and twist. The mirror case will pop off toward the rear of the car. Be careful here, as the mirror itself will want to snap back against the car. Using the Phillips, remove the two small screws holding the blinker assemby to the shell and pop it out.

Wiring - Take the new blinker assemblies, and pop the 4-pin connector away from the clip that holds it to the case. There will be two wires coming from the mirror to the 4-pin. Clip these as close to the connector as possible. This will also remove the spare bulb. Next, clip the spare bulb and the 4-pin connector from the wires connecting them and set the wires aside-you will need them in a minute. Back to the car. On the front side of the mirror is the original 2-pin connector. Pop this off its mount so you have more slack in the wires. Clip the wires at the base of the connector.

Obviously, all wires need to be stripped now before assembly.

Taking the new blinker, attach the extra wires clipped from between the bulb/pin to the wires coming from the blinker assembly using the crimp tubes. This extra 4"-5" will aid in final assembly. Once you have extended these wires and crimped them tightly, attach the blinker assembly back to the shell with the two screws. You may have to play with it a little bit, as the black foam is a little thicker than the white foam on the stock units, but it will fit. Back to the car!

Final Assembly -Turn your blinker on-you will get an error message. Slide the mirror case 1/2 way over the mirror assembly, leading the wires from the blinker assembly out the bottom of the shell. With the extra length of wires we attached earlier, you should have plenty of room to crimp them to the leads coming from the mirror assembly. If it doesn't work the first time, just switch them. You can turn the blinker off now if it's working. It's now time to slide the case back on the mirror assembly. This will take some playing to get all the new wires stuffed, but there is some room toward the front/bottom of the case for the wires & connectors. Push the shell back on until it clicks. Then check it by pulling straight out-you may have to give it a pop to get it to latch.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:57 AM
MNG

Audi's, a whole bunch of them
supershyguy...i can help u out....call me