Notices
A45, A35 AMG (W176, W177) 2013 to present. Two generations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems since washing engine bay oh no!!

Old 05-28-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A45 AMG
Problems since washing engine bay oh no!!

Hi Guys,

Newbie here, it's a shame its taken something to go wrong before registering but here we are. Can't wait to get involved on the forum.

I have quite an expensive hobby of detailing my A45 Beast weekly, my neighbour who is also a keen came across while I was tinkering and as we were talking about the car asked to see under the bonnet, he was admiring the engine etc but then suggested I detailed the engine bay as it let it down being a little grubby, I've only probably looked under the bonnet twice since owning the car since November so didn't really see much point but today whilst giving it a clean I thought what the heck I'l get it gleaming and dress the engine bay. He said new cars these days are fine with a bit of water and won't have any problems giving it a once over with the hose or jet wash and some APC.

So I used the hose on a fine mist setting, rinsed and brushed in some APC, rinsed again then blow dried with my sidekick. When it came to putting the car in the garage I started the engine and immediately knew something was wrong, it was making spluttering and choking noises before cutting out. I re started the engine left it running for a good 10 minutes before taking it out for a little drive to see if it had fixed itself. Noticed it lacked power straight away, it wouldn't go above 3K Rpm and the engine light is on every time I start the car. Also to mention it keeps making strange fan noises even though the engine is off, ignition is off and car is fully locked in the garage.

Anyone have a clue what could be wrong ? I have my fingers crossed that in the morning I will start the car and it will all be ok lol or am I being too hopeful? Is it a trip to Mercedes ?

Car is still under warranty but I guess that would be void as I caused the problem with the cleaning?

Thanks sorry for essay.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vw
Sounds like your car is in limp mode.

maybe too much water went into the air intake.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Any updates? Hate it when the OP never comes back to help the community.

Basically, he did everything wrong: using high pressure water, and then air to blow the water even deeper into electrical areas. His neighbor was totally wrong: newer cars are MORE vulnerable to water in the engine, not less.

Personally, I never clean the engine, and I have what’s undoubtedly the best engine AMG has ever made: the 6.2L NA V8.
Now, if you want to learn how to detail an engine, watch Larry on Ammo NYC.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various MB
When using a cleaner or finishing product on your engine, it should never be silicon based. A lot of people apply tire shine to their engine bays, but silicon based products will lead to problems with your electronics/sensors. Not sure if this is your problem, but just a heads up. Water in your air intake may be the culprit. I would search up a DIY on removing your cowl (plastic near windshield), air intake filter, and maybe even engine cover plastic if possible. Replacing the intake filter or blowing it out with compressed air may help.