Sponsored by:

Somebody Tell Doug DeMuro Everybody Already Loves the Mercedes-AMG GT S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:21 PM
IB Staff

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Somebody Tell Doug DeMuro Everybody Already Loves the Mercedes-AMG GT S

The Mercedes-AMG GT S is a lot of things, but underrated isn't one of them.

Read the rest on the MBWorld homepage. >>
Old 09-22-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Are you sure about everyone loving it? What about the guys who've successfully completed a buyback? What about the less than one-year-old cars with three owners? What about the 20% first-year depreciation?

I love the car, but yeah, I think it is underrated. Good for Doug in letting people know it is an awesome car.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by austintipton
Are you sure about everyone loving it? What about the guys who've successfully completed a buyback? What about the less than one-year-old cars with three owners? What about the 20% first-year depreciation?

I love the car, but yeah, I think it is underrated. Good for Doug in letting people know it is an awesome car.
he is talking about reviewers loving it

most reviewers never take into consideration the well expected Amg depreciation...

Have not not read any long term official tests have you?

anecdotally yeah the gts is one of the worst Benz's released for some, not all.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
At this years motor trend best drivers car award 2016 the car broke!

Just another example that these cars have serious reliability issues.

I hope they get it right with the GTR, it's really embarrassing for this flagship.

Let's not get started on the depreciation of AMG cars. Like the titanic filled with concrete.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Meh.

This guy blows. Throwing in every S class cliche about a second generation SLS. No mention of the prior SLS platform but instead insisting on Mercedes sports cars being SL 65's.

And where has he been for the last two years? In the basement bathroom waxing poetic? Or was he looking for a job? Anyway terrible sophomoric review. Tell his mom he needs to wash his shorts again.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Power steering pump went bad and was replaced at the dealership. That is not a big deal.
Per motor trend, if it had not failed " Fourth place, even third, would not be outside the realm of possibility". Still beat the R8 and the Jaguar SVR.
Very impressed with the Camaro SS and the GT350R placing higher this year.
The Mclaren deserves its spot but it's in a different price league.

Originally Posted by Td33
At this years motor trend best drivers car award 2016 the car broke!

Just another example that these cars have serious reliability issues.

I hope they get it right with the GTR, it's really embarrassing for this flagship.

Let's not get started on the depreciation of AMG cars. Like the titanic filled with concrete.

Last edited by emericr; 09-22-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:56 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by emericr
Power steering pump went bad and was replaced at the dealership. That is not a big deal.
Per motor trend, if it had not failed " Fourth place, even third, would not be outside the realm of possibility". Still beat the R8 and the Jaguar SVR.
Very impressed with the Camaro SS and the GT350R placing higher this year.
The Mclaren deserves its spot but it's in a different price league.
Look I'm invested in this car. At my dealers gtr reveal I had an hour conversation with the gm/managing partner about my allocation, most likely his only allocation, for the BS.

The bottom line they need better quality put in to this car. If the new gt and gtr models continue to have problems I will give up this allocation and be done with AMG.

Instead of trying to put an AMG badge on everything with a steering wheel, they need to get back to what made the brand so popular.

The good thing for all of us is this is a great time to be a car guy. So many good cars to choose from.

Good luck with your new cars, hopefully arriving soon.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Look I'm invested in this car. At my dealers gtr reveal I had an hour conversation with the gm/managing partner about my allocation, most likely his only allocation, for the BS.

The bottom line they need better quality put in to this car. If the new gt and gtr models continue to have problems I will give up this allocation and be done with AMG.

Instead of trying to put an AMG badge on everything with a steering wheel, they need to get back to what made the brand so popular.

The good thing for all of us is this is a great time to be a car guy. So many good cars to choose from.

Good luck with your new cars, hopefully arriving soon.

Better quality from which factory? Porsche?

Let's be clear Porsche replaced all of the 2014 engines on all GT3s. There is probably half of all 2015 GT3RS on upper valve replacement. 2016, who knows. Is that where your putting your $ TD33

Power steering pumps I can live with in 2017.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:17 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Better quality from which factory? Porsche?

Let's be clear Porsche replaced all of the 2014 engines on all GT3s. There is probably half of all 2015 GT3RS on upper valve replacement. 2016, who knows. Is that where your putting your $ TD33

Power steering pumps I can live with in 2017.
Look weren't you the guy complaining on another forum about the depreciation of AMG?

To be completely honest, my 17 turbo s cab is the BEST car I have ever driven-period!

I could also live with a power steering pump, but we all know this is just part of the long list of problems with this car.

Again good luck with your car and enjoy.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Look weren't you the guy complaining on another forum about the depreciation of AMG?

To be completely honest, my 17 turbo s cab is the BEST car I have ever driven-period!

I could also live with a power steering pump, but we all know this is just part of the long list of problems with this car.

Again good luck with your car and enjoy.
Yeah. Depreciation is bad no doubt on CL 63s.

I promise to give you a real world eval on my GT.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:37 PM

Ml63
Yeah. Depreciation is bad no doubt on CL 63s.

I promise to give you a real world eval on my GT.
Bad how about terrible and on a great car the cl63. Love them! This is part of my overall issue with the brand in general. I'm a smart guy and know that all car companies have issues and is not perfect, but lately AMG as a brand has done damage that could have been avoided. Just my opinion.

Because my Porsche was delayed at the port for only two weeks, I received a letter from Porsche apologizing for the delay. They also gave me a voucher to drive the turbo s in Atlanta. They waived all damage liability and also included $100 towards dinner for two at their restaurant. Classy move!

I would appreciate your input on your new car and hope it gives you few problems and you enjoy every mile!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:50 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Doug is funny and makes me laugh, I've enjoyed his Aston Martin series
Old 09-23-2016, 08:48 AM

Ml63
Just read about a 6 month old gts where the owner states the paint is peeling off his aero package. Yes this car is underrated all right! Let's add it to the list.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Just read about a 6 month old gts where the owner states the paint is peeling off his aero package. Yes this car is underrated all right! Let's add it to the list.

Look closer. It doesn't look like REAL AMG parts. The real ones aren't painted but are formed in flat black. Also, the fitment on the side pieces aren't that good.

Last edited by JSwan724; 09-23-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:28 AM

Ml63
That's not the way I'm reading the post at all. Maybe you should question the OP to determine whether this is an MB product or not instead of battling with me regarding all the GT car issues, which by the way I am not against. If we all worked together maybe we could get MB/AMG's attention to get this brand back to where it was.
Please advise if you get an answer regarding whether this is an MB product or not.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-23-2016, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
That's not the way I'm reading the post at all. Maybe you should question the OP to determine whether this is an MB product or not instead of battling with me regarding all the GT car issues, which by the way I am not against. If we all worked together maybe we could get MB/AMG's attention to get this brand back to where it was.
Please advise if you get an answer regarding whether this is an MB product or not.

Thanks,
Bill

I was just trying to help you out. Frankly I could care less. None of my FACTORY INSTALLED E1 parts look or fit like that. So IF he is unhappy my advice would be to take the car to the dealer.

My gues is they are from a aftermarket catalogue.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63

Thanks,
Bill

I was just trying to help you out.
Frankly I could care less. None of my FACTORY INSTALLED E1 parts look or fit like that. So IF he is unhappy my advice would be to take the car to the dealer afterall it is under a 4 year warranty.

My guess is that they are from a aftermarket catalogue.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:39 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by JSwan724
I was just trying to help you out.
Frankly I could care less. None of my FACTORY INSTALLED E1 parts look or fit like that. So IF he is unhappy my advice would be to take the car to the dealer afterall it is under a 4 year warranty.

My guess is that they are from a aftermarket catalogue.
I understand you don't care cool with me. Read the post this is an MB product.

It's because people don't care is why MB/AMG are continuing to sell this crap and charge well OVER 100K for it. It is what it is and it's not my money, but I'll keep trying to send the message until I'm done with AMG and that may be much sooner than later.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
I understand you don't care cool with me. Read the post this is an MB product.

It's because people don't care is why MB/AMG are continuing to sell this crap and charge well OVER 100K for it. It is what it is and it's not my money, but I'll keep trying to send the message until I'm done with AMG and that may be much sooner than later.
Where is this post?
Old 09-23-2016, 03:56 PM

Ml63
Where is this post?
I was told it's under the general discussion section on the PL. Please read it and give your opinion.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
I was told it's under the general discussion section on the PL. Please read it and give your opinion.
IMO those are aftermarket trash parts. Probably bought second hand.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
TD33 makes a valid point that MB is diluting AMG by using its well recognized and earned name by slapping its badge on way too many vehicles. Therefore an AMG is no longer what it used to be: the top dog in its category fighting the M and RS cars.
Unfortunately it started with BMW putting its M package on regular 3 series cars and since they are selling well, MB is following suit. I am not sure a few of us will be able to reverse the trend but I agree with TD33 on this matter.
Regarding the teething first year issues of the Edition 1, I won't repeat myself in length but I feel that it is not worse than other top manufacturers out there. First adopters have to pay the price of a not perfect vehicle.
Related to the AMG depreciation, again if people would do a bit of research, the AMG GT-S is actually holding its value much more than any past AMGs and is actually in par with a regular average car.
The OEM aero pieces other than the fixed wing in the back never came painted so if someone has an issue with paint peeling, it is after market.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by emericr
TD33 makes a valid point that MB is diluting AMG by using its well recognized and earned name by slapping its badge on way too many vehicles. Therefore an AMG is no longer what it used to be: the top dog in its category fighting the M and RS cars.
Unfortunately it started with BMW putting its M package on regular 3 series cars and since they are selling well, MB is following suit. I am not sure a few of us will be able to reverse the trend but I agree with TD33 on this matter.
Regarding the teething first year issues of the Edition 1, I won't repeat myself in length but I feel that it is not worse than other top manufacturers out there. First adopters have to pay the price of a not perfect vehicle.
Related to the AMG depreciation, again if people would do a bit of research, the AMG GT-S is actually holding its value much more than any past AMGs and is actually in par with a regular average car.
The OEM aero pieces other than the fixed wing in the back never came painted so if someone has an issue with paint peeling, it is after market.
Good points. I agree as well. But such is life ........delineating the real from the fake whether its a car or other things ....

Have you ordered the aero parts yet?

The 26th is here soon wow. Your car is close to US territory
Old 09-23-2016, 05:30 PM

Ml63
Good points. I agree as well. But such is life ........delineating the real from the fake whether its a car or other things ....

Have you ordered the aero parts yet?

The 26th is here soon wow. Your car is close to US territory
Well guys I guess you can ask the OP. I can't I'm still on ice haha.

Your cars will soon be here and that has to be exciting. You'll both be putting miles on soon listening the the best exhaust on the planet.

I wish both you guys the best with your cars! Please post some pics when they show up.

Thanks,
Bill
The following users liked this post:
AMG 17GT (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
Thanks TD. It is exciting
I will probably order my aero parts thru the Naperville MB dealer online unless my local dealer matches the price. It's the cheapest online, just plug the part number and it shows you the price.
The following users liked this post:
COOPERDB (09-23-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Somebody Tell Doug DeMuro Everybody Already Loves the Mercedes-AMG GT S